X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

Originally posted by Star of Gladness
    Can you explain then how a fuel surcharge can be levied before service even begins? I dont understand that.
    What I don't understand about the fuel surcharge is that it's a percentage based on your fare instead of not being a fixed amount.

For instance the prices quoted below are from July 6.

Originally posted by helen View Post
    I checked out the Superferry's web site for pricing. Just for myself between Honolulu and Lihue without a car would cost me around $170. This for travel on a Tuesday, return on a Friday and upgrade to a lounge. The fuel surcharge ran around $14 for the Tuesday trip and $17 for the Friday trip.
    So not only are the fares are cheaper on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday but so is the fuel. That being the case how come the Superferry can't buy it's fuel on Tuesday to Thursday and stash it in their storage tanks?

Comment

What I don't understand about the fuel surcharge is that it's a percentage based on your fare instead of not being a fixed amount.

For instance the prices quoted below are from July 6.

So not only are the fares are cheaper on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday but so is the fuel. That being the case how come the Superferry can't buy it's fuel on Tuesday to Thursday and stash it in their storage tanks?
      Good question!

Hmmmm... I got another one. If the superferry is supposed to be "more efficient" than the airlines and claiming $17 per passenger for fuel I wonder what its costs the inter-island airlines per passenger in fuel? It must be more than $17.

Comment

Just to offer a different viewpoint: if a person feels the fare/surcharge is too high or doesn't make sense, then they can choose not to purchase a ticket.

The rest of us, who want something a little more interesting than flying once in a while, can choose to take the boat.

It's really not all that complicated.
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
          [...]It's really not all that complicated.
          You're absolutely right, Fran. But it's fun to analyze the whys and wherefores, dissect the conclusions, flame a troll or 2, wander off topic then, after 400-500 replies, finally arrive at your conclusion! We still have a ways to go!

Comment

This ferry looks like a dynomite place to start a birthday party or other celebration. The lounge looks quite pleasant and I can only imagine how fun it will be to use it and continue celebrating on another island, have everyone sleep it off and then party on back. Shutterbugs are gonna have a wonderful time with the views, etc.
            Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Unless of course you are taking the ferry on the Lihue to Honolulu run. It will be dark (the ferry leaves Lihue at 7pm, arrives in Honolulu at 10pm) and I guess the last hour you will see the lights from the west coast of Oahu.

Comment

Stargazing will rock on the clear nights, and maybe some UFO watching? LOL....
                Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

I suspect not since the Superferry needs to be lighted so things don't run into it in the dark.

By the way the Superferry route map shows alternate routes for the Maui and Big Island runs during whale season.

Comment

I suspect not since the Superferry needs to be lighted so things don't run into it in the dark.
                    It won't be dark dark, but I've been out on a Waikiki cruse. Excellent star watching. I'm sure they'll find a way to accommodate their customers. Out on the ocean at night, it won't need much light for others to see it.

Comment

There's a very good article at this link from Sunday's Advertiser, about how many businesses are looking forward to using the SuperFerry to ship cargo from and to O`ahu.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Thanks to a quick-thinking friend, I was able to get a spot for this Saturday's second limited public preview on the Superferry.

Like Mel, I hope to document the heck out of it for those who are as curious as I am about this new interisland travel option... blog write up, "moblog" cameraphone posts (courtesy the iPhone), photos, YouTube video, and hopefully live video streaming! My wife and I will be bringing our daughter, and she's very excited about the tour.

Comment

OK... let's see, Ryan will have an iPhone, a regular digital camera, a movie camera, and his laptop all strapped to him when he visits the Superferry. Can someone take a picture of Ryan with all this gear on.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

This begs the question, does the Superferry have A/C outlets in the passenger section or the lounge area so that you can plug in your laptop?

Comment

I never thought to look for that while I was there. That would be a good assignment for Ryan and anyone else who visits this weekend.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

PZ - what time is your tour? I'll be on the 12:00 one. Maybe we'll run into each other.
                                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                                X