This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 4

And let's not forget that over 4,000 residents of MAUI went to visit the SuperFerry on Saturday. Lots of great comments about how it will benefit Maui's farmers and business owners, too, according to this story.
    Anyone who believes the courts will ban the SuperFerry, within mere days of the startup, is delusional.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Received via work email the official Inter-Office Memo from the State of Hawaii Purchasing and Procurement, approval to procure services from the Hawaii Superferry. I say, it's a go!
      ___
      "Be god to each other."

Comment

From today's Garden Island News: the visit of Alakai in Nawiliwili was greeted with both cheers and boos on Sunday.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I can't wait to ride. Planning to book soon, with two SUVs to take alllll the family to visit ohana on Maui.

Should be fun.

Expensive, but fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
            From today's Garden Island News: the visit of Alakai in Nawiliwili was greeted with both cheers and boos on Sunday.
            Well, let's take a little closer look at that very lengthy article whose link you provided and that you tried to sum up in your one-sentence opinion.
            Some excerpts from that article:

"Pockets of protesters dressed in black, flying signs and chanting slogans greeted Kaua‘i residents en route to preview the Hawaii Superferry yesterday afternoon at Nawiliwili Harbor Pier 1.
            "As buses shuttled through security some 3,500 community members who had reserved slots to check out the new interisland vessel, more than a dozen Kaua‘i police officers formed a wall to keep about 70 activists at least 100 yards away from the boarding ramp.
            (...)
            "But Superferry officials and most first-time visitors aboard the ship remained confident in the “state of the art” vessel and its crew.

(...)
            “I can’t wait to use this,” local resident Rick Heviland said. “I plan on bringing my motorcycle.”
            (...)
            "Outside the ship’s interior luxury, a diverse group of protesters waved signs at passers-by and united in Hawaiian chants. Most wore black to represent “mourning,” and some had “Save Kaua‘i” and other messages drawn in marker on their arms.
            “It’s another government scam being forced upon us,” local resident Fred Dente said."

Right. It's a "government scam."

"Dayne Aipoalani, Ali‘i Nui of the Polynesian Kingdom of Atooi, confronted Superferry personnel at the harbor gate (...) Superferry officials would not permit him to board the Alakai because he had not “prearranged” to do so as security requires, but a meeting was scheduled to discuss the issue later this week.
            “We have supreme authority over this land,” Aipoalani said. “This is a peaceful protest and we come with love"

"Supreme authority"? "Love"? Heh. Hehehehe. Bwaaaaaahahahaha!

Interesting article. But SF appears to have had far more "cheers" than "boos."

Last edited by LikaNui; August 20, 2007, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
              Anyone who believes the courts will ban the SuperFerry, within mere days of the startup, is delusional.
              Not impossible. But it would be very expensive for the government to do so.

I doubt that the detractors can provide enough evidence that it's necessary to block the SF until the court case runs it's full course.

Comment

Indeed, GG.
                If SuperFerry were blocked until there was an EIS, then that same requirement and blockage should be made to Young Brothers, Matson, NCL, et al, to prevent a discrimination suit by HSF.
                And if YB, Matson and NCL are stopped from running, the result would be utter chaos, primarily for islands other than O`ahu, yeah?

Comment

Wonder if the possibility of NCL pulling out of Hawaii will influence the court's decision?

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                    Wonder if the possibility of NCL pulling out of Hawaii will influence the court's decision?
                    I'm curious -- on what grounds could that affect the court's decision? I don't see how NCL could even be brought into the case.

Comment

I'm curious -- on what grounds could that affect the court's decision? I don't see how NCL could even be brought into the case.
                      Well, I figure some of the arguments for SF to be shutdown is harbor space. If NCL is looking to be leaving, that argument will be moot.

Comment

If SuperFerry were blocked until there was an EIS, then that same requirement and blockage should be made to Young Brothers, Matson, NCL, et al, to prevent a discrimination suit by HSF.
                        From what I understand, they are grandfathered in. They were doing their thing before EIS requirement came along. I don't know enough about the "discrimination" aspect to know if that would fly. Their plans is a significant increase over what the others are currently doing. But it's possible.

What I was talking about is a lawsuit about letting them get this far, permits, EIS waver and all, and then stopping them at the last minute. Government can't flip-flop like that without consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                          From what I understand, they are grandfathered in. They were doing their thing before EIS requirement came along. I don't know enough about the "discrimination" aspect to know if that would fly. Their plans is a significant increase over what the others are currently doing. But it's possible.

What I was talking about is a lawsuit about letting them get this far, permits, EIS waver and all, and then stopping them at the last minute. Government can't flip-flop like that without consequences.
                          Don't forget, for Kahului Harbor, there is also an EIS that was supposed to be published sometime around now (the June-July timeframe) for the general harbor (Kahului Harbor Year 2030 Master Plan). The Year 2025 Master Plan for Kahului Harbor did not include HSF in its projections; the 2030 Plan is being drafted to include HSF. I think the current berth for HSF is only temporary; the 2030 Plan had better have something a little more permanent than a barge and a big tent and Porta-Potties for HSF at Kahului Harbor. The officials of HSF agreed that this EIS was necessary since it involves all harbor users and is not just focused on HSF.

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                            Don't forget, for Kahului Harbor, there is also an EIS that was supposed to be published sometime around now (the June-July timeframe) for the general harbor (Kahului Harbor Year 2030 Master Plan).
                            The operative words in your comment are "supposed to be". Given the way things usually work here, if the report is due now, we'll probably see it in 2011... if then.

Comment

What a shocking turn of events. The Hawaii Supreme Court ruled that Judge Cardoza's ruling was incorrect. A EIS was required to be done before HSF
                              started service. Talk about some big time lawsuits will be flying around now against the HDOT/ State of Hawaii. As I figure that HSF will not be able
                              to commence service now.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...065423917.html
                              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                                What a shocking turn of events. The Hawaii Supreme Court ruled that Judge Cardoza's ruling was incorrect. A EIS was required to be done before HSF
                                started service. Talk about some big time lawsuits will be flying around now against the HDOT/ State of Hawaii. As I figure that HSF will not be able
                                to commence service now.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...065423917.html
                                Good thing I didnt buy tickets. Sick passengers, lawsuits, more $19 tickets... Too bad I really wanted to try it.

How long will it take to draft an EIS? They should call it an EI$$$$$$$$

Comment

Working...
                                X