This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 5

There's a lot of intelligent commentary going on here. I, for one, appreciate that. I've heard some off-the-wall things lately. There have been things about evil intentions and conspiracies, Oahu the cesspool and its criminals, etc.

But, and here's my question, I have heard at least twice now in connection with HSF, the comment that "Kauai was never conquered." I suppose if I had been raised on Kauai I would understand that statement. I was raised on Oahu and have never heard that statement until now.

Again, here I am, the ignorant leaning on you guys for a little enlightenment. Can someone explain that statement to me? What do people mean when they say that? Conquered for what? Scratching my head here.
    Last edited by Sprite; September 1, 2007, 07:36 AM. Reason: my English :)
    Aloha,
    Evelyn
    Homespun Honolulu

Comment

Originally posted by Sprite View Post
      Again, here I am, the ignorant leaning on you guys for a little enlightenment. Can someone explain that statement to me? What do people mean when they say that? Conquered for what? Scratching my head here.
      Kauai was never unifed into the Kingdom of Hawaii by having to fight a physical, bloody battle. I don't remember the specifics but I think Kamehameha had to quell a rebellion back in Hawaii once and forgot what the other time. By the time Kamehameha finally assembled a force sufficient for a battle, the Kauai chief simply negotiated to become a part of the Kingdom of Hawaii and in return, he remained the leader on Kauai. Think vassal state. So to some Kauaians, they regard as never being conquered.

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
        You know who the loudest weepers and moaners are? The people who aren't originally from the island. Why? Because they moved to the island with some twisted idyllic concept of what the island was like when they got there, or visted a few moons ago, and want to keep it that way. Progress and the wishes of the actual residents be damned. They just "want to get away from it all and live like how it used to be." Never mind that people actually live real lives there.
        Yes, I think that's a very big part of the issue. They've fled the "big city" and now protest that it's following them.

However, in the case of Kauai, I have to wonder if by their mode of protest they themselves aren't messing up the very thing they love. That seem to be different style then most local protests.

I also find it interesting that NOW a lawsuit has been filed for Kauai. Me thinks that perhaps some backroom "negotiations" have laid down the "rule of engagement" for this game. I can't help but think the leaders of this protest group may have considerable legal and civil liability if the protests get too far out of hand. Free speech is one thing. But when the speech goes into advocating illegal actions, then one can be liable for any bad outcome - even if not intended.

Comment

Eh, Waioli, I work for a living, so don't presume to tell me I'm "selfish" for spending my hard-earned kala for the benefit of my family. Nobody is forcing you to patronize HSF.

What's it to you that I enjoy the comfort of my own vehicle and that it makes financial sense for me to potentially utilize HSF? It isn't really any of your business, anyway.

HSF provides an alternative to the "fly-drive" option of our airlines and car rental companies.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
            Think vassal state. So to some Kauaians, they regard as never being conquered.
            Just submissive. So, why not submit to this?
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Here's my suggestion to all who think that they represent the will of the majority of the people:

Let the peoples' voices be heard. Let them vote with their wallets.

You don't like SuperFerry? Don't ride it. Don't give them your money. If you truly represent the majority opinion here, then likewise, your compatriots will vote with you. In that case, the SuperFerry won't last 6 months.

Let that small minority who welcome the SuperFerry with open arms pour their cash into the losing proposition. Let them enjoy the SF while it lasts.

If you really do represent the majority of citizens of our state, you are assured of a quick victory. If no one rides SF, then it will go away very quickly.

Of course, if you're wrong...

===

Remember in all of this, it's just another boat. Boats have been coming here and pulling into all of Hawaii's ports from anywhere and everywhere for hundreds of years. One more boat is not going to have a noticeable impact.

If the SF is forced to produce an ES, we will be studying the impact of one more boat. Nothing more.

Don't complain about spreading invasive species. Young Brothers doesn't check your vehicle for mud on its undercarriage when you ship to another island. They drive the car onto the barge for you.

And if someone wanted to spread an invasive plant species to another island, all they would need do is stuff a few seeds in their pocket before getting on an Aloha Airlines flight. No checks there, either.

As far as overfishing Hana, give me a break. Hundreds of people are not going to drive to Hana to pick 'opihi. They will more likely drive to Kahului and clean out Crispy Kreme, instead.

I want to go to Maui to visit with my brother and sister, and their families, who live there. And I want to take my car. I don't want to pay ransom to the rent a car companies (who charge far more here than they do on the mainland).

All you Enviro-Terrorists, please, stop protecting me. I don't want your protection. All you "anti-everything" guys, just give it a rest.

Don't like it here? Move to Bali or something... Oh, wait. They have ferries, too, don't they?

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

I was very interested in applying for a job on the SF. I told three people on HT. However, due to personal reasons I changed my mind. Dang! How I wish I did. I would be giving Whack Whacks to all the "Terrorists!"

I have Ohana on all the islands. Most especially, on Kauai. They WANT the Super Ferry to come to Kauai! Like Bruddah Blaine, I'd rather bring my Leimomi instead of renting a car. After all...Lemomi is a LEXUS!

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Auntie, perhaps those protesters are envious of your LEXUS? Woe be anyone of those kooks if they put their filthy hands on my car or try to flatten the tires! They'll be in the hoosegow in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                    Auntie, perhaps those protesters are envious of your LEXUS? Woe be anyone of those kooks if they put their filthy hands on my car or try to flatten the tires! They'll be in the hoosegow in no time.
                    Dey try touch my Leimomi! She'd be da last ting dey TOUCH!

Terrorists? Dey goin see "TERROR" wen I get MAD!

I going hULI dem ova!!!

Auntie Lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

• terrorUSt$ , Re: Hawaii fascist fairies' Superferry

---zztype= "Here's my suggestion to all who think that they represent the will of the majority of the people:

Let the peoples' voices be heard. Let them vote with their wallets.

Don't like it here? Move... or something..." ----

The perfect motto for the reality of US's corporatUSt$: Democracy by Wallet::Don't like it here? Move... or something... ...of course it's a mockery democracy, but morally and fiscally bankrupt materialUSt know no other ideology but that which makes them the world's terrorUSt$.

The citizens/corporations who vote/spend the most are the voices/votes who will be heard/represented in the governments of the United States. That is a given in the United States, why do you think you are suggesting something new?

Also, since you named this thread, why did you put okina apostrophe in the way you wrote Hawai'i ? It's quite clear what Hawaii is to you, but what is Hawai'i to you?

Comment

Gov. Lingle's response to Sen. Hooser's letter to her regarding her inaction on the HSF debacle on Kaua'i.

Sen. Hooser, in fact most of the Neighbor Island state legislators, lobbied hard to get bill 702 passed (which would require an EIS paid for by the State to be conducted before the start of HSF service), but the Oahu legislators sided with Gov. Lingle and defeated the bill. The most notable Neighbor Island legislator who sided with Gov. Lingle was Uncle Joe Souki from Maui, the Chair of the House Transportation Subcommittee, who allowed Bill 702 to die. The odd thing is, if he was so in favor of HSF, where was he on the day that Alakai was in Kahului Harbor for the pre-launch tour?

Sen. Hooser's original letter

The people of Kaua'i collected 6,000 signatures on a petition requesting that the DOT require an EIS from HSF prior to the start of service, which Gov. Lingle refused to accept. All 3 Neighbor Island counties passed resolutions asking the DOT for that EIS pre-launch, too, at least a full 6 months prior to start of service.

So it's not that the Neighbor Islands didn't try to work with Gov. Lingle; it's that her administration decided not to listen to the Neighbor Island legislators.

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                          Yes, I think that's a very big part of the issue. They've fled the "big city" and now protest that it's following them.
                          They're obviously confused. They make it sound like the SuperFerry will be transporting entire high-rise buildings and entire office towers and entire condominium complexes and entire hotels and hundreds of entire stores and everything else that makes up a major cosmopolitan city.
                          They're NOT.
                          All the SuperFerry is bringing are some passengers and a few cars... and they're taking them away shortly thereafter. And after they leave some money, too.
                          Yo, protesters -- exactly how does that ruin the other islands?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                            The most notable Neighbor Island legislator who sided with Gov. Lingle was Uncle Joe Souki from Maui, the Chair of the House Transportation Subcommittee, who allowed Bill 702 to die. The odd thing is, if he was so in favor of HSF, where was he on the day that Alakai was in Kahului Harbor for the pre-launch tour?
                            Chances are that he had other commitments that took prioity over a simple tour of a vessel he'd no doubt already been on. But did you think about contacting his office and asking them before you jumped to your negative conclusion?

The people of Kaua'i collected 6,000 signatures on a petition requesting that the DOT require an EIS (...) So it's not that the Neighbor Islands didn't try to work with Gov. Lingle; it's that her administration decided not to listen to the Neighbor Island legislators.
                            Get real. Do the math. Your 6,000 signatories are less than 10% of the population of Kaua`i. Ergo, over 90% of the population of Kaua`i did NOT sign the petition.
                            Why on earth would the Governor "listen" to your tiny minority???

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                              Gov. Lingle's response to Sen. Hooser's letter to her regarding her inaction on the HSF debacle on Kaua'i.

Sen. Hooser, in fact most of the Neighbor Island state legislators, lobbied hard to get bill 702 passed (which would require an EIS paid for by the State to be conducted before the start of HSF service), but the Oahu legislators sided with Gov. Lingle and defeated the bill. The most notable Neighbor Island legislator who sided with Gov. Lingle was Uncle Joe Souki from Maui, the Chair of the House Transportation Subcommittee, who allowed Bill 702 to die. The odd thing is, if he was so in favor of HSF, where was he on the day that Alakai was in Kahului Harbor for the pre-launch tour?

Sen. Hooser's original letter

The people of Kaua'i collected 6,000 signatures on a petition requesting that the DOT require an EIS from HSF prior to the start of service, which Gov. Lingle refused to accept. All 3 Neighbor Island counties passed resolutions asking the DOT for that EIS pre-launch, too, at least a full 6 months prior to start of service.

So it's not that the Neighbor Islands didn't try to work with Gov. Lingle; it's that her administration decided not to listen to the Neighbor Island legislators.

Miulang
                              So why did Hall refuse to work with HSF's offer? And why appeal at the 11th hour when it could have been done sooner?

http://www.mauinews.com/news/2007/8/31/01hall0831.html

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                                So why did Hall refuse to work with HSF's offer? And why appeal at the 11th hour when it could have been done sooner?

http://www.mauinews.com/news/2007/8/31/01hall0831.html
                                You cited the Maui News story. Seems that both sides concluded they couldn't work with each other. And it would have been a deal between HSF and the enviro groups, without the State DOT involved in any way. Hall's primary objection was that the content of the limited EA that HSF was proposing was less than what Chapter 343 required by law, and that HSF was paying for it (not that I agree with Hall, but I think he feared there would be bias in it if it was paid for by HSF).

And if you were able to open that pdf from today's Advetiser with the Supreme Court's final ruling in it, they determined that an EIS was required now because DOT misinterpreted Chapter 343 and neglected to consider how that seemingly minor addition of barges, tents and porta potties in the harbors might have significant effects on a fragile environment. If it was me, I would weigh more heavily the impact on the other harbor users and their facilities and ability to use Kahului and Nawiliwili more than the whales and invasive species, but the Supreme Court ruled that the enviro groups had standing because they believed the whales and invasive species introduction would cause harm to the environment on the routes HSF would traverse.

I have a feeling there are going to be changes in Chapter 343 in the next legislature.

Miulang
                                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X