X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Waioli Kai is tripping - Ch. 5

Originally posted by waioli kai View Post
    Are you inferring that you have never expressed an interest in taking your toy on a trip off of Oahu via the superferry?
    Yes, I may have said that, though I don't recall specifically saying it. But yes, especially if there's a Toys For Tots event or other similar charitable function, I'd be more than happy to take it on the SuperFerry.
    Got a problem with that?!?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 5

For some a car might be an extension of their ego. It's an intended projection of their personality.

But for others it's a tool. Just like a wrench, scissors or scouring pad. It's a means to get around or to haul stuff.

One day a truck driver put a ding in my 10-year-old Honda and he waited until I got out of the store to let me know. I looked at the spot where his door hit my car, and told him he created a clean spot. It would take me several weeks to get the dirt back on the car again. He gave me a really puzzled look and I told him it was OK. It was an old car and another dent didn't matter at all to me because it didn't affect the way it ran. But thanks for letting me know.

Some people buy shoes because they're a name brand and stylish. Others get what fits and works for a given situation and couldn't care otherwise. In that case it's hardly an ego thing.

To say that something holds the same level of meaning for all is an inaccurate generalization.

Comment

• Re: HI terrorUSt$ , Re: HI fascUSt fairies' Superferry H-3 dreams

Whatever. You don't want to live here under these conditions, move. Don't expect the rest of us to move to accommodate your point of view.

Your opinion is not the only one that matters. It is the collective opinion of all the people who live here that matters. If your personal opinion does not match that of the collective whole, too bad for you.

---zztype= " Here's a picture of the Great Seal of the State of Hawaii:

'

Oh? Where da 'okina??? "---

Mahalo. That's the whole point. There is no `okina or ' in Hawaii, the State. Hawaii is a nationalUSt political fabrication, as is Oahu (no `okina), Hawaii (no `okina) County, Kauai (no `okina) County.

So ... "Where da 'okina???"! Precisely!!
        << Willful attempts to add `okinas to such political fabrications highlight the injustice of the justUS nature of Hawaii, the 50th State.>>
        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 5

--- Composite 2992= "It's a means to get around or to haul stuff..... my 10-year-old Honda " ---

I'm pretty sure that if you were an outer island resident you would rather experience the sound and exhaust of a visitor's new rental car rather than the sound and exhaust of your ring, valve, ignition, pollution control worn-out retiring Honda.

Comment

• Honolulu justUS , Re: HI fascUSt fairies' Superferry H-3 dreams
            ---It is the collective opinion of all the people who live here that matters. ---

What is "here" ? A Honolulu retirement compound? There are a numerous "here"s on these islands. Honolulu is merely one of them, much as that US mentality believes itself to be all-encompassing of Hawaii.

Comment

LN & ZZ - stop feeding the troll!!! "It" is acting just like our old friend & we all know what happened to him...........

(going back to my corner now)
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                For some a car might be an extension of their ego. It's an intended projection of their personality.

But for others it's a tool. Just like a wrench, scissors or scouring pad. It's a means to get around or to haul stuff.

Some people buy shoes because they're a name brand and stylish. Others get what fits and works for a given situation and couldn't care otherwise. In that case it's hardly an ego thing.
                Exactly. To car and fashion enthusiasts, they believe it is an ego thing. To people like me who don't care much for the latest and greatest but instead look for price, budget, practicality and value, that is the only thing that matters. In my entire life I have never owned brand name shoes like Nike or Addidas. I just buy the cheap $20 kind that I can get at WalMart or K-Mart. Designer fashion or trendy vehicles just don't fit in my budget or priorities.

That is why I drive a plain jane Toyota Corolla and wear generic, boring unfashionable clothing. Everything in my decision making process involves price, budget and long term value. I tend to hold on to things for a very long time and use them until they just about die.

Getting back on topic to the Superferry, I kind of regret not buying a $10 roundtrip ticket on the vessel, since all of those unused tickets are now good for up to a year. At this point I hope this entire legal and environmental mess created by the state, extremist environmental wackos and NIMBY protesters get worked out so that the people who want to use the Superferry as a travel option have that opportunity.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

• Re: Honolulu justUS , Re: HI fascUSt fairies' Superferry H-3 dreams

---It is the collective opinion of all the people who live here that matters. ---
                  What is "here" ? A Honolulu retirement compound? There are a numerous "here"s on these islands. Honolulu is merely one of them, much as that US mentality believes itself to be all-encompassing of Hawaii.
                  Uh, yeah. Last time I checked "here" was a U.S. state. This state reportedly encompasses a whole bunch of islands in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Honolulu is the capital city of that state, on the island of Oahu.

Most of the people of that state live on the island of Oahu. Oahu generates the majority of the tax revenue for the state, which is then redistributed for the benefit of the citizens on all the islands.

Where have you been for the last 48 years?

Oh, yeah. It seems as if you don't "recognize" that little Act of Congress, the U.S. Congress, back in 1959? You know the one...

Comment

OK, OK, I'll stop here with this final thought, for now:

It's just another boat. It's not the first boat that has pulled into Hawaii harbors. It's not the last boat that will pull into Hawaii harbors.

It's not the biggest. It doesn't carry the most people or the most cars. It doesn't carry the Stryker vehicles. (Though it could quite legally do so, if they felt like it, as could the Young Brothers, the U.S. Navy or anybody else with a big boat.)

It's just one more boat.

Get over it.

Comment

Good lord, get off your high horse (again).

You spend a whopping "almost four years" on an island other than Oahu, and suddenly you're an expert.
                      Dick, I honestly don't think Craig Watanabe is on a high horse. Being a Honolulu guy born and raised here and having lived here all of my life, I know what Craig is talking about.

To make this as succinct as possible, I have a lot of friends who live on Maui and Big Island, and for the most part the people I have met on the neighbor islands do not care for Honolulu and even the people of Oahu.

On Maui, I was asked by many, "Beau, when are you coming to live on Maui, and leave the craziness of Honolulu behind?!" To hear some Maui and Big Island people talk, Honolulu is a HUGH metropolis like New York!

They feel that Honolulu people are arrogant, and sometimes for good reason. I had a state job where I had to travel extensively to the neighbor islands, and you should of heard some of comments my co-workers made about people on the neighbor islands. Criticizing everthing from lack of fashion to the suppposed inferior mentality neigbhor islander's had. I was embarrassed, and often told them that I liked the fact that the neighbor islands were different, as I personally find it BORING when every place is the same.

Having said this, I do support the Super Ferry. My gut feeling is unfortunately there's fear among some people on the neighbor islands who feel the culture of their particular island will become more like Oahu, which is something some of them detest.

Comment

Originally posted by Beau View Post
                        Being a Honolulu guy born and raised here and having lived here all of my life, I know what Craig is talking about.
                        That's all fine and good.

You're from Oahu. And so is craigwatanabe.

I'm from Maui.

You have "friends" who live on Maui and Big Island, yet you "met" people who don't care for people from Honolulu/Oahu.

Well, since I'm from Maui, and go back there regularly, and still hang out with people I've known since I was a child... I've yet to run into anyone who shares that attitude.

You were asked "by many" about going to live on Maui. I wonder how many, and who these people were.

Sure, "some" may regard Honolulu as a "huge metropolis," but I really think they're in the minority and are, quite frankly, very sheltered.

Comment

• Re: terrorUSt$ , Re: Hawaii fascist fairies' Superferry

What is Hawaii to you, what is Hawai'i to you, what is Hawai`i to you?
                          Originally posted by zztype View Post
                          I know how to properly place and use diacriticals in the Hawaiian language.
                          Guys, let me interrupt the political diatribe here for a teachable moment.

What's the difference among the three? Is it more than grammar & format?
                          Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                          Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                          We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                          Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

We can all debate this issue in the court of popular opinion until we're all blue in the face, but the sad truth is, this issue will be determined by our legal system; our country is run by laws, not lawlessness.

Marilyn vos Savant, a woman of considerable genius, wrote this in her column in the Sunday Parade Magazine this morning:

When you can't agree, it's often best to stop talking about it.
                            Wise words, indeed. Henceforth, I will offer no more comments regarding this sad situation until and unless the courts issue their decision(s). And even then, please remember that my opinion may differ from yours.

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I think the superferry is going to say A-LOOO-HA

Comment

• Re: Hawai'i Super ferry - Chapter 5

OK, silly question: What if the EA/EIS comes back predicting all kind of dire environmental consequences. What prevents the HSF from running? Who determines "this is too ugly - we can't do this"?

Or is this just a "nutrition facts" label to allow all concerned to make an informed decision? Which means the HSF isn't dead until the politicians decide it is.

Keeping in mind that HSF will have a major claim against the state if they are ultimately turned down, I think this fight is far from over.

At the moment, it's being handled in the back rooms of politics.
                                Last edited by GeckoGeek; September 2, 2007, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X