This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 5

Below is a letter to the Editor I sent statewide, Governor Lingle and the legislature.

The Hawaii legislature needs to step in and resolve the Hawaii Superferry debacle.Especially if the courts permanently bar HSF from operating until a environmental assessment is done.

Hawaii Superferry relied on HDOT assurances that a EA was not needed to initiate service. Then at the last minute the judiciary pulls the rug out . Yes, missteps were done by all parties in initiation of service process. But to me it is not fair to all taxpayers and HSF investors that this service cannot proceed unless a EA is done. Especially after the multi millions that have been spent thus far.

The most logical and fair thing that the legislature can do is pass legislation allowing HSF to operate while a EA is being done.As far as I understand, Hawaii Superferry only has a finite amount time before they'll have to pull the plug. Which will be a real shame. Once again the fringe element has forcibly decided what is supposedly best for Hawaii.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

http://starbulletin.com/2007/09/15/news/story04.html

A federal Maritime Administration official says that if the Hawaii Superferry defaults on its loan, U.S. taxpayers could lose $140 million.

Jean McKeever, the office's assistant administrator for business and work force development, said the Maritime Administration issued the Superferry a loan guarantee of $140 million, and the first semiannual payment of $3 million is due in November. McKeever said the Hawaii Superferry has to operate to pay off the debt.

Well, it looks like we're on our way to reconfirming once again, Hawaii is a horrible place to do business. Sad part is, there are those thinking this is some great victory but don't realize the potential loss of $140 million plus the $40 million from the state. Good job, next time you wonder why public services are further cut.....

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
        http://starbulletin.com/2007/09/15/news/story04.html

A federal Maritime Administration official says that if the Hawaii Superferry defaults on its loan, U.S. taxpayers could lose $140 million.

Jean McKeever, the office's assistant administrator for business and work force development, said the Maritime Administration issued the Superferry a loan guarantee of $140 million, and the first semiannual payment of $3 million is due in November. McKeever said the Hawaii Superferry has to operate to pay off the debt.

Well, it looks like we're on our way to reconfirming once again, Hawaii is a horrible place to do business. Sad part is, there are those thinking this is some great victory but don't realize the potential loss of $140 million plus the $40 million from the state. Good job, next time you wonder why public services are further cut.....
        Hawaii is a horrible place to do business. One of the highest tax burdens in the United States, way too much over regulation; Chapter 343 enviro laws, etc., etc. None of these support a good business climate.

The wacko environmentalists, the NIMBY extremist protesters on Kauai, entrenched transport companies in Hawaii and a chirping mynah bird from Seattle all want to see the Superferry fail... and sadly that is closer to happening now than it was a few weeks ago. Thanks Sierra Club. Thanks Kauai wackos. Thanks Maui wackos. Thanks dysfunctional Supreme Court.

Hawaii will lose a valuable transport alternative all because of what these wackos want. We already have a rotten business reputation that will hurt Hawaii even more with the possible departure of Superferry.

The door that was opened for business Linda, is rapidly going to slam shut soon. Action is needed now.

Save the Superferry.
        Last edited by mel; September 15, 2007, 12:57 PM.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post

On top of what you mentioned, it is likely the HSF investors will sue the State of Hawaii to recoup their losses. To me its a slam dunk case for HSF. Especially since the HDOT incorrectly exempted the HSF from doing a EA.
          The Kona Blog

Comment

http://starbulletin.com/2007/09/15/e...l/letters.html

I like what Rebbeca Brabenec has to say about the tactics used in this totally avoidable senselessness.
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Someone anonymously sent me this article in regards to the HSF. This part I cited I found to be very interesting.

http://www.journalgazette.net/apps/p...template=apart

"Despite the state having a major role in the Superferry's troubles, it cannot be sued for damages.

Van Dyke said the contract between the state and Superferry stipulates that the company cannot seek damages if an environmental review is required.

"The state was very careful. They negotiated very carefully and they wrote a good contract and they protected themselves from being sued," he said.
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                http://starbulletin.com/2007/09/15/e...l/letters.html

I like what Rebbeca Brabenec has to say about the tactics used in this totally avoidable senselessness.
                Interesting...thanks for the link...
                Rebeca's my assistant! She's also an excellent writer. I don't have to agree or disagree with her to appreciate her opinions. I always enjoy hearing her pov on any subject.

Comment

• lies are lies , Re: Hawaii Superfolly - Ch. 5

'Lingle and Garibaldi circumvented the law to push forward a profit-making enterprise for "the good of the people of Hawaii." The Bush administration flouted laws and lied to push forward an invasion for the "good of the American people."

Essentially, they lied to get what they wanted, which probably had little to do with "the good of the people." There was money to be made, careers to bolster and power to wield.

So, those folks on Kauai blockading the Superferry? Good for them. They might be protesting a smaller dishonesty closer to home, but lies are lies, and when one finds the courage to stand up to one, the courage and the crowds burgeon to protest the bloodier lies. RB http://starbulletin.com/2007/09/15/e...l/letters.html

Lies are lies, but not all perpetrators are treated equal, nor, it follows, are all victims afforded justice in the land of justUS: just look at Superfolly USS Lingle, bUSh's War$ and Mr. Simpson's on-going escapades in Las Vegas (albeit cnn breaking news is that he was finally arrested about five minutes ago).

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                    Someone anonymously sent me this article in regards to the HSF. This part I cited I found to be very interesting.

http://www.journalgazette.net/apps/p...template=apart

"Despite the state having a major role in the Superferry's troubles, it cannot be sued for damages.
                    I think instead of suing the State, the HSF attorney's will target those directly responsible for their losses such as those that organized illegal protests.

Will they get a penny out of them? I doubt it but I believe HSF will take them to court, and settle out of court with a gag order for all those involved not to spell out the conditions of the settlement.

And I believe the settlement will amount to both parties saving face but the reality would allow the HSF to run as well as prevent those organizers from protesting, meaning the HSF would win and stifle those who are protesting.

Anyway that's what I think will happen.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

• terroristic protests? , Re: Lingle Superfolly - Ch. 5

QUOTE=craigwatanabe;165285] I think instead of suing the State, the HSF attorney's will target those directly responsible for their losses such as those that organized illegal protests.

Will they get a penny out of them? I doubt it but I believe HSF will take them to court, and settle out of court with a gag order for all those involved not to spell out the conditions of the settlement.

And I believe the settlement will amount to both parties saving face but the reality would allow the HSF to run as well as prevent those organizers from protesting, meaning the HSF would win and stifle those who are protesting.

Anyway that's what I think will happen. -/QUOTE-

Would that HSF, Inc. go to court suing those who protested their monster ("monster" is a descriptive word of Superferry employed in the National Geographic documentary's narrative re: Hawaii Superferry) at Nawiliwili !!

Are there really that many people who think that the protestors who protested the August 26, 2007 docking of the ferry at Nawiliwili did so as a result of being organized to do so by enviromental groups? If so, then indeed encourage HSF to sue so that the ignorant may be freed (at HSF investors' expense) of their delusions!
                      Last edited by waioli kai; September 16, 2007, 11:36 AM.

Comment

The Spirit of Ontario, the Australian-built Austal sister ship to the Alakai which wowed Hawai'i residents a couple of years ago when she visited, has had a very checkered past.

As of July of this year, though, the 3-year-old ship has been plying the waters between Morocco (Tangier) and Spain (Tarifa) as "Tanger Jet II" the newest ship in the fleet of German-owned Förde Reederei Seetouristik (FDR).

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I don't know if this has been discussed already here, but it occurred to me today that FLYING someone interisland must use more fuel that FERRYING them.

Getting an airplane off the ground and up 15,000 feet must use more fuel and leave a bigger carbon footprint than a ship, I would think.

And it would seem to me, the number renting or bringing a vehicle should be about the same. I'd rent a car regardless of how I got there.

I'm sure ships have impacts that are different from planes - planes are less likely to hit whales.

Overall, my layman guestimate is that flying is many times more impactful, in a negative way, on the environment, that a ferry.

Does anyone know what the real scoop is?

Bob Sigall

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                            The Spirit of Ontario, the Australian-built Austal sister ship to the Alakai which wowed Hawai'i residents a couple of years ago when she visited, has had a very checkered past.
                            Exactly what the heck are you talking about?!? Precisely what do you mean about its "checkered past"?
                            According to the Wikipedia article you linked to, any problems with that ferry were management-related, but the ship itself proved extremely reliable. (I liked the part in that link of yours that noted the ferry was almost always completely full. )
                            So what do you mean by "checkered past" and exactly how the heck does that ferry (which was built in Australia, by the way) relate to Hawaii SuperFerry or to anything happening here?!??
                            Did the Spirit Of Ontario somehow offend you there in Seattle?
                            Did your post have some kind -- any kind -- of a point to make?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

And speaking of idiots, here's another one on Maui. The article about Maui County Councilwoman Michelle Anderson says:

Anderson said the ferry would make it easier for "a criminal element" from O'ahu to bring drugs and other problems to Maui. "We don't want O'ahu's urban problems brought to Maui, not to mention drug dealers and criminals of all sorts," she said.
                              Puhleeeeeze.
                              Maui has never had "urban problems" before the SuperFerry?
                              And drug dealers and criminals never thought of flying to Maui? They never thought of taking a cruise ship to Maui? They never thought of sailing a private yacht to Maui? They never thought of sending drugs on a barge to Maui? TDrug dealers and criminals were never able to get to Maui at all until SuperFerry came along?
                              Sheesh. How did this idiot ever get elected?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                                And drug dealers ... never thought of flying to Maui?
                                Uh, doesn't it flow the other way? I've heard of Maui Wowie. What's Oahu's specialty?

Comment

Working...
                                X