X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lingle's HSF Superfolly Stryker - Ch. 5

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
    Most Legislators don't want to convene a special session (especially the Neighbor Island Legislators). And lots of politicians are up for re-election this year,....
    2007 is NOT an election year in Hawaii. 2008 is but not this year.

To those who only pledge halfway support for the Superferry, you might as well be in the opponent's side. There is no such thing as halfway support for Superferry... i.e. do the EA before Superferry can set sail. To fully support Superferry you MUST be in favor of having Superferry sail to all harbors it originally planned to now, and not later after the long EA process.

If the EA is forced upon Superferry before they can resume service, the only place Superferry will be sailing to is AWAY from Hawaii.

The time to support Superferry is NOW, not later.

I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 5

Interesting, link, Mel. Friends of Hawaii SuperFerry. Can't figure out who's behind it, though. Do you know?

Even with "Who Are We?" in the FAQ, the answer is pretty vague: "Friends of Hawaii Superferry is a community-based coalition of residents and local businesses who care for the future of our islands’ communities and have come together to support Hawaii Superferry because of the benefits it will provide to our communities." Which is all well and good, but... it doesn't quite answer the question.

The WHOIS information reveals only the webhost in Illinois.

Is it a grassroots site started by a concerned Hawaii resident? A faux grassroots site started by the Superferry's PR firm? I'd consider myself a "friend" of the Hawaii Superferry, but I'm reluctant to kau inoa (sorry, couldn't resist) if I don't really know who I'm signing on with.
      I speak with my wallet. If I want to ride the ferry, I will buy a ticket. If you don't want to ride the ferry, don't. I won't make you.
      Interesting perspective on "where are the supporters?" query, zztype. I guess in an ideal world we should just let the free market decide, let people vote with their wallets. But ticket sales aren't driving the public debate, and probably never will. Wallets aren't known for soundbites or excellent Page 1 photos.

Do supporters of the Superferry simply cede the media stage -- abhorrent as said "stage" is in concept -- to the professional protesters and professional litigators? Doesn't it hurt that the only consistent voice heard on the other side is the Superferry operators, the business folks who quite obviously can't be objective on the issue? Basically you get a "hippie environmentalist versus guys in suits" debate, and I can tell you who usually gets the public's sympathy in that scenario.

Now, I'm not claiming that my anecdotal evidence is proof of anything, but without exception everyone I know and speak to is in favor of the Superferry, angry at the protestors and legal maneuvers, and a good many of them were first in line for those $5 fares. But despite all this passion, no one (myself included, so far) has been motivated to hold a sign or make some noise (apart from Letters to the Editor, I guess). And I'm curious as to why that is.

As glossyp posited, part of me thinks it's simple resignation. "This is why we can't have nice things," as it were. I'm so used to Hawaii shooting itself in the foot I'm essentially expectingthe Superferry to give up and sell its beautiful ship to a Canadian city, or Hong Kong, or any enlightened waterfront town that knows a good deal when it sees one. I figure some day I'll be visiting Victoria Island, and enjoying the beautiful view from the deck of the Vancouver Superferry.

Comment

PZ,

I note that the letters on their site to O'ahu residents is signed by Michael T. Fitzgerald, President and Chief Executive Officer, Enterprise Honolulu and Alton T. Kuioka, Vice Chairman, Bank of Hawaii.

We know who BANKOH is. Here's a bit on the other entity:

http://www.enterprisehonolulu.com/ht...lay.cfm?sid=91

Enterprise Honolulu is a non-profit economic development organization funded by Oahu's private sector. Our top priorities are to: (1) Retain existing businesses and assist in their expansion; (2) Encourage growth and diversification amongst existing businesses; (3) Attract and recruit new businesses, and (4) Help entrepreneurs in their business development initiatives. Click here to learn more about how Enterprise Honolulu can save you countless hours of research and analysis by providing a full range of services.
        The contributors list is interesting:

http://www.enterprisehonolulu.com/ht...lay.cfm?sid=93

The Maui letter is signed by retired Senator Joe Tanaka.

Kauai is signed by Randall Francisco and Mark Hubbard.

The Big Island letter is signed by Gunner Mench of Harbor Galleries and Mark McGuffie, Executive Director, Kawaihae Hawaii Island Economic
        Development Board.

That should give you a pretty good idea of who put up the site.

Me? I vote for the Boat! (I need to make buttons... off to CafePress...)
        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

What's wrong with doing the EA and let the SuperFerry run on a limited basis? Maybe just do one island a day verus going to two islands a day?

Since the major concern seems to be the speed at which this things runs at, make it sail at the speed that the Young Brothers barges go or even the speed the NCL ships goes. That way there are no different than those two companies.

Comment

Small Business Hawaii and I think some KHVH listeners were planning a support the Superferry rally sometime during the Labor Day weekend... but that was quashed after the ferry stopped sailing. If they did I certainly would have been there to document the event (taking photos).

As for the Support the Superferry website, my guess is good as anyone's as to who is behind it. At this point with the fate of the ferry largely in the hands of courts on behalf of the wackos, signing with the website is akin to one of the many other "Petition Online" sites that have sprung up in the past on other issues.

Needless to say I did sign up just for the heck of it.

Another way to support the ferry is to call Governor Lingle's office @ 586-0034 and ask her to call the Legislature back into special session for the purpose of amending section 343 in order for the Superferry to at least resume service while the EA or EIS is undertaken.

Currently the only Senators that would be opposed to the Superferry at this time are Kauai Senator Hooser, Maui Senators Baker, English and Tsutsui... I don't know about the House, but I think the support from there is stronger than in the Senate.

The Legislative leadership doesn't want to be the ones calling the session, they want Governor Lingle to call the speical session. She has the power to do it.

Getting back to letting the Superferry do only one island a day does not make much sense as they need the revenues from at least 2 trips if not 3 to help them pay off their loans, employees and bills. Forcing the ferry to decrease the speed in open water will diminish the attraction of passengers wanting to use it. Slowing down for whales within sight, OK, but not a speed limit of only 27 mph or less all of the time.

Gotta be all or nothing.
            Last edited by mel; September 19, 2007, 08:03 PM.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

My Cafe Press store -- only cheap. Not hoping to make big bucks. Mostly for laughs.

There, how's that for pro-activism?

Blaine

Comment

The only problem I see with this is that people might think we are supporting the new city The Boat. I thnk the button should read something like "Superferry Yes!" or "Superferry Go" or "Go Superferry!" Come to think of it, simply "Superferry Supporter" may be better....
                Last edited by mel; September 19, 2007, 08:23 PM.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

• Re: Hawai`i SuperFerry - Ch. 5

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                  There are more people in favor of HSF on Oahu than on the Neighbor Islands
                  Those of us who live in Hawai`i are more aware of the tremendous number of letters written by residents of the neighbor islands who are very pro-SuperFerry and who continue to apologize for the actions of the anti-SuperFerry protesters and whiners. Tons of letters, and lots of interviews on the various broadcast media, from those neighbor island folks in support of the Superferry
                  Those of us who live here know it.

And I'll add my name to the list of Mel, PZ, ZZ and others, since an overwhelming majority of people I talk to also strongly support the SuperFerry. Perhaps I should say "unanimous" since I can't think of anyone who's been against it.
                  And ZZ, about your I Vote For The Boat buttons -- I love the idea, but wonder if people will think it's about Mufi's new local ferry (TheBoat) instead of about SuperFerry. Maybe... I Vote For The BIG Boat... Da Ferry Ain't Scary... or... ?
                  Maybe we should start a new thread to create pro-SuperFerry slogans.

And I agree with PZ about signing up for that Friends group. I haven't done it yet because I want to know just who it is that's insisting I give them my street and e-mail addresses and my phone numbers. And I want to know how my personal info will be used.
                  Not that there's any question whether or not I support the SuperFerry.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

• Lingle, Kim, Lehman, Aiona's $uperfolly
                    ==QUOTE=oceanpacific= "I have no doubt they'd keep protesting rather than acquiesce to the majority."
                    Totally. Especially, when 95% of such a statewide majority vote would be State HI Oahu "voters"/residents/registered with HI elections and presumably no where else in the U.S. !??... but whose checking anyway and does it matter one way or the other**?
                    ***this makes think of imagininary posters who live in ' $US old folks homes' on Oahu who can for perhaps little more than the past five years of their existence claim to be "a legal voter" in hawaii, maybe even consider themselves to be hawaiian, as in texan, oregonian, nebraskin, floridian, delewarian and such ideopolitical manifestations....one vote per manifestation: the US$ old folks' vote in their hawaii being equal to the vote of a 50th generation indigenous-blooded in the US$ old folks hawaii...there is no Hawai`i where inginenous-blooded/indigenous-aligned peoples' votes are counted....it's the haole old folk$ colonialist, corporatist ideopolitical "elections" or else!.
                    Re: Lingle, Kim, Lehman, Aiona's $uperfolly
                    " If the EA is forced upon Superferry before they can resume service, the only place Superferry will be sailing to is AWAY from Hawaii. "
                    And no small thanks to the Lingle-Aiona team, their Oahu legislator cabals and U.S. Military who together set the State treasury up for being pilfered further by HSF Inc. to subsidize their follies' implosive exit.

From a LingleAiona SS* ideologue: " The Legislative leadership doesn't want to be the ones calling the session, they want Governor Lingle to call the special session. She has the power to do it. "

Since enough of the legislature were SS-aligned like Lingle to endorse Lingle's extrajudicial sanctioning of HSF, Inc.'s exploitation of Hawaii, it is most understandable that, like the leader of a fascist legislature of 1930's Germany, Lingle should expect her knights to convene in emergency sessions to write laws to mask her immorality, injustice, shamelessly arrogant misuse and abuse of power and corporatUSt$ plans for Hawaii.
                    * SS has a well established ring to it since at least before the middle of the past century. ""Superferry Yes!" or "Superferry Go" or "Go Superferry!" Come to think of it, simply "Superferry Supporter" may be better....

Comment

See? Trolling right along, folks...

Comment

That troll W. just simply doesn't make sense to me.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Basically he is trying to convene the meaning that no matter what the SuperFerry is going to take our money and use it to fund the various military industrical stuff around the country.

That being the case you might as well let it run. At least we in Hawaii get another option to go from point A to point B in this state.

Comment

I like the military. It's no biggie if they use the Superferry when they need it. The military can requisition any American flagged ship for their own use when the need arises.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                              I like the military. It's no biggie if they use the Superferry when they need it. The military can requisition any American flagged ship for their own use when the need arises.
                              Or they can simply make their own. Make it as big as they like, as fast as they like, to carry as many passengers and vehicles as they like. And you won't be allowed on board to monitor their speed or operations.

Or they can hitch a ride from the other military services.

Whatever.
                              Last edited by zztype; September 20, 2007, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post

My Cafe Press store -- only cheap. Not hoping to make big bucks. Mostly for laughs.

There, how's that for pro-activism?

Blaine

Love it! I thought of bumper stickers: "Honk if You Love HSF," but after reading the thread about honking or not honking, maybe that's not such a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X