X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawai'i Superferry - Chapter 5

In the Star-Bulletin website's breaking news:

The governor pleaded with the crowd to be respectful, but they drowned out speakers with chants of “E-I-S” -- a call for a formal environmental impact statement before ferry service resumes.

Some yelled four-letter obscenities at the governor and state Transportation Director Barry Fukunaga. Both were interrupted several times, as were other speakers.

Lingle interrupted the meeting at one point to plea for respect and gratitude for the Coast Guard after the crowd booed Coast Guard Adm. Sally Brice-O’Hara.

-------------------

Those protesters on Kauai don't have much class, do they?

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
      Nope. Not much at all. If the boat already had an ES done on it, they would be demonstrating about something else. They don't care. It doesn't matter. They're going to make their point, they're going to break the law, no matter what happens.

Their view is going to be heard and reckoned with, no matter what anybody else thinks. My way or the highway.
      Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

In the Star-Bulletin website's breaking news:

The governor pleaded with the crowd to be respectful, but they drowned out speakers with chants of “E-I-S” -- a call for a formal environmental impact statement before ferry service resumes.

Some yelled four-letter obscenities at the governor and state Transportation Director Barry Fukunaga. Both were interrupted several times, as were other speakers.

Lingle interrupted the meeting at one point to plea for respect and gratitude for the Coast Guard after the crowd booed Coast Guard Adm. Sally Brice-O’Hara.

-------------------

Although I got bumped umpteen times by the server, I did manage to glimpse part of the festivities. One particular point where the crowd got extra rowdy (most of the night they were pretty respectful) was when the Admiral was asked to give a phone number for her office. She read out the number and then was challenged by someone in the audience who must've either known another number or actually tried dialing the number she gave and got a "number disconnected" announcement, because a few seconds later, the Gov. said that "it's a new number and hasn't been connected yet". At that point, the crowded really let the Admiral have it. Sounds like the Coast Guard wanted to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff even before answering the phone by providing a special number for those in the audience to call.

What was also interesting was at the very beginning, after the convocation prayers, a bunch of people (mostly young people) were onstage lined up to greet the Governor personally. What was revealed later was that some of the young people who kissed the Governor or who touched foreheads with her on stage were kids who were in Nawiliwili Harbor protesting the arrival of HSF.

And that 6,000+ name petition from Kaua'i residents, plus a resolution from the nation of Atooi (which I have since found out is comprised of Ni'ihau and Kaua'i), were finally accepted by the Governor after being rejected last September.

BTW: Because of the high demand to see the broadcast tonight, apparently it will be rebroadcast within the next couple of days. I'm sure the local news outlets will provide the URL when it's available.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The evil twin in me have three words to the Coast Guard regarding protestors:

SHOOT TO KILL.

Yes, it is ruthless. It is shocking. But I'll be dancing.

Again, that is just my evil twin speaking.
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

What class? And I don't mean to be condescending but when you got people attending the meeting shirtless with shorts, what class? Yeah I know, peeps in Hawaii are laid back but there's a line.

Comment

Somewhere in my life I got the odd idea that meetings are sometimes called to hear concerns and work out solutions to problems.

That doesn't seem to have been the concept this time around.

Comment

• Oahuan fascUSts' Superfolly Supporters- Ch. 5

=== Randumb's contributions=== "SHOOT (Kaua`i protestors of HI Superferry) TO KILL
                (them)
                . Yes, it is ruthless. It is shocking. But I'll be dancing. /quote===
                ===jutree's contributions==quote= "What class? And I don't mean to be condescending but when you got people attending the meeting shirtless with shorts, what class? Yeah I know, peeps in Hawaii are laid back but there's a line. " /quote

What a pathetic mindset of HT posters! Nothing in their lives, (besides old folks homes and message board forums) being of no community (unlike Kauaians) to fight for, so they belittle those who do have something to defend. It's really beyond pathetic, but given all the hatred infused with it, such pathological ramblings are far from humorous.

What is funny is that such a mindset of posters thinks any dribble emanating from their stale, rundown intellects has any value whatsoever to those Kauaians who are literally laying their lives on the line over this HI Superferry issue on Kauai.
                Last edited by waioli kai; September 20, 2007, 11:52 PM.

Comment

• Re: Oahuan fascUSts' Superfolly Supporters- Ch. 5

Originally posted by waioli kai View Post
                  What a pathetic group of posters! Nothing in their lives, (besides old folks homes and message board forums) being of no community (unlike Kauaians) to fight for, so they belittle those who do have something to defend. It's really beyond pathetic, but given all the hatred infused with it, such pathological ramblings are far from humorous.
                  I'm getting closer to an old folk's home but not there yet. I can still handle situations that cook or freak out people half my age.

And I care enough about my community to do what I can to reduce my footprint, recycle and conserve the resources of surrounding waters.

Hatred? Hardly. Lot of us want to take their cars somewhere without having half the stuff from stolen from it. Some need to work on the neighbor islands and tools often tend to be heavy and bulky -- not good candidates for air travel. And others just want an option other than air travel. While I love flying some people dread it, and the Superferry would be a nice choice to have.

I'd say that those who pounded on cars rolling off the Superferry expressed a lot more hatred than what might have been expressed here.

Saying that rude protestors have no class is pointing out a simple truth: if you're going to try to convince the governor that you have a valid point, why not dress appropriately and conduct yourself in a reasonable manner? Aesop said it centuries ago: Persuasion sometimes works better than force.

Comment

• Kauai mtg re: Oahuan fascUSts' Superfolly Supporters- Ch. 5

===Composite 2992--- " ... Hatred? Hardly. Lot of us want to take their cars somewhere without having half the stuff from stolen from it. Some need to work on the neighbor islands and tools often tend to be heavy and bulky -- not good candidates for air travel. And others just want an option other than air travel. While I love flying some people dread it, and the Superferry would be a nice choice to have. ...

Saying that rude protestors have no class is pointing out a simple truth: if you're going to try to convince the governor that you have a valid point, why not dress appropriately and conduct yourself in a reasonable manner? Aesop said it centuries ago: Persuasion sometimes works better than force." ===

Hatred? What's your response to Randumb's "Shoot to Kill" Kaua`i's protestors to HI Superferry? You have nothing to say about that so apparently it fits in well with your scheme of things too.

As for hauling your car or truck load of tools off of Oahu to one of Oahu's subject islands, what you think...there's a labor or skill shortage on those islands? When you're not invited somewhere perhaps there's a reason for it!! Like you and your competitive desperateness won't be welcomed!! Get it?

As for a couple of shirtless "protesters" [you called them that; did they speak to the microphone to give you the certainty that they were indeed "protesters" and not HI Superferry employees and family members shipped (ie. by air) over to Kauai, or homeless folks just getting a reprieve from the rain by being at the meeting...looks alone are clues to every fact, in your eyes).

Just as there may have been a couple of shirtless males and a few breastfeeding mothers attending the meeting doesn't mean there were not as well dozens of Lexus, Mercedes, Lincoln SUV's and the like awaiting their owners out in the parking lot....the eyewitness account I refer to also affirmed that of the thousand and more people at the meeting, the HSF logo white-shirted, dispirited, silent two busloads of HI Superferry employees and families were virtually the only outwardly pro-HSF bodies in the room besides Lingle and her DoT robot.

My source informed me that, regardless the occasional derisiveness directed at Lingle usually (because she bravely and rightfully chose to be at the podium and be the receiver of such) and sometimes at others on the panel, Lingle and the panel engendered a great deal of respect from most everyone attending for her and her panel's having the decency and fortitude to subject themselves to what they well knew was going to be a very perturbed nest of locals and long-time residents.

Comment

• Re: HI Superferry - Ch. 5

quote=Miulang=== " What was also interesting was at the very beginning, after the convocation prayers, a bunch of people (mostly young people) were onstage lined up to greet the Governor personally. What was revealed later was that some of the young people who kissed the Governor or who touched foreheads with her on stage were kids who were in Nawiliwili Harbor protesting the arrival of HSF. "
                      /quote===

Two children of whom were arrested at the Aug 26 protest and their parents were threatened by the State's child services division with child endangerment, losing parental custody of their children.

When all that people (such as some HTposters), who have no connections to Kaua`i, see is the video bytes regurgitated ad infinitum by Oahu TV stations, it is little wonder those people think and write what they do. Nonetheless, it very disheartening to hear and read such people's aspersions of the humanness, integrity and righteousness of those many citizens of Kauai who do not accept the HSF, Inc self-serving manipulation of State laws and government. Such aspersions are being cast as if those who wield them are wholly incapable of ever imagining a circumstance or day or time when citizens of Kauai would choose to side with O`ahu on an issue dear to Oahuans but relatively remote to Kauaians. Kaua`i should be considered by Oahuans to be a crown jewel of the archipelego, not a treasure chest to be reviled and plundered because the effort to understand and appreciate Kaua`i and its peoples is inconvenient.
                      Last edited by waioli kai; September 21, 2007, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                        One thing for sure: any solicitation by the Sierra Club will be answered with a door closed in their face or a click as the phone is hung up.
                        I'm no shill for Sierra Club, but I've spent a couple hours in a conference room with Jeff Mikulina and he's a good guy.

I don't think SC cares whether or not the Ferry runs. I think they do care that politicians don't subvert the environmental impact statement process and that everyone follows the environmental laws, no matter how popular/unpopular their project is.
                        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                          I don't think SC cares whether or not the Ferry runs. I think they do care that politicians don't subvert the environmental impact statement process and that everyone follows the environmental laws, no matter how popular/unpopular their project is.
                          I agree. Someone said this earlier in the thread (it may have been you.)

Why are the protesters so disrespectful? They are angry. Angry that a process, carefully worked out over time to deal with environmental concerns, has been subverted by someone - in this case, it seems to have been the State (rather than HSF, who seem to have been willing to bend over backwards to do any and all pre-launch environmental research), who granted the exemption.

Was that the right thing for the State to do? I can see both sides. Some might feel that the State has the right to adjust the rules in order to make what they feel is a good business decision on behalf of residents. Others might argue that environmental concerns should be respected, especially in a unique and fragile ecosystem such as Hawai`i.

Should the protesters react the way they are doing - breaking the law, putting people at risk? Who can say what any one of you would do, if you feel strongly enough that your home, your environment is threatened - and if you felt that it was only being done to benefit a business's bottom line, that you were left out of the process, that you had no opportunities to express your views - a right you have as a resident of Hawai`i and a citizen of the United States, no matter whether your view is in the minority or not?

This thread has already brought out people suggesting death threats against those who speak out against HSF. And that's supposed to make you morally superior to them? In whose America?

Comment

• Re: Oahuan fascUSts' Superfolly Supporters- Ch. 5

Originally posted by waioli kai View Post
                            What a pathetic mindset of HT posters! Nothing in their lives, (besides old folks homes and message board forums) being of no community (unlike Kauaians) to fight for, so they belittle those who do have something to defend. It's really beyond pathetic, but given all the hatred infused with it, such pathological ramblings are far from humorous.

What is funny is that such a mindset of posters thinks any dribble emanating from their stale, rundown intellects has any value whatsoever to those Kauaians who are literally laying their lives on the line over this HI Superferry issue on Kauai.
                            Pot meet kettle, kettle meet pot.

Comment

http://starbulletin.com/2007/09/21/news/story01.html

LIHUE » Gov. Linda Lingle was booed and heckled at a meeting held on Kauai last night to explain the Hawaii Superferry's resumption of service to the Garden Isle next week.

But it was not just opponents making angry comments at the Kauai War Memorial Convention Hall last night. More than 150 Superferry supporters -- including Superferry employees and their families flown over from Oahu by the company -- expressed their displeasure with protesters, often heckling anti-Superferry speakers and showing their support for the governor.

The meeting -- which was loud and boisterous but peaceful -- was supposed to explain to the crowd the emergency security zones the Coast Guard will put in place when the Superferry returns to Nawiliwili on Wednesday.
                              They should have held this in Vidinha Stadium and served beer! What a party THAT would have been!
                              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Good one!!! Betta yet tail-gate....
                                bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Working...
                                X