X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Court rules against Kamehameha Schools admission policy

Originally posted by Moto
    After rereading the article discussing the court case which started this whole thread, I believe the courts decision was based on KSBE's Hawaiian's only policy. The legacy of Princess Bernice Pauahi Bishop was to only give preference to Hawaiians. Therefore, KSBE should change their policy stating that they will give preference to Hawaiians, and should circumstances allow it, with the avaiable resources at that time, non-Hawaiians will be considered. This policy follows the intent of Princess Bernice Puahi Bishop, and may hold up stronger in court. Will non-Hawaiians ever be admitted to Kamehameha School under this policy? I believe this would only happen when all interested Hawaiians have been taken care of and resources allow for the admission of non-Hawaiians.

In other words could this decision have been made based on the KSBE's policy of only admitting Hawaiians, and that is not in line with the legacy of Princess Bernice Puahi Bishop? By changing their policy to align with the wording of the Trust, I would find it improbable that the courts would step in. That would open up a whole new can of worms, making every single trust ever made up, for they are all discriminatory for they only take care of a targeted group.
    I think the admission policies on the Maui campus say Hawaiian-first, not Hawaiian only, which is a semantically different policy than Kapalama. Maybe it's because the Maui campus got burned by the same kind of lawsuit in 2003 that is being fought today. I find it hard to believe that KSBE can't find enough kanaka maoli kids who meet their academic and moral standards to fill all the slots available on their campuses, though.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

TITA , That is what the proplem is. You let one in, you gottat let all in.....

The bad thing about this situation is that Kamehameha School need to realize get plenty more Hawaiian kid`s out here that do qualify to be students, but its a whatever the game that hurts all.......

My thing is, The Will of Our Queen was stated to educated the Hawaiian children. I would think she`s saying ALL Hawaii`s keiki`s regardless.....Rich, Poor, where you live, how much you make.....

The Will of Our Princess was made to provide for our Hawaiian children.....

MALAMA PONO................ MAUIBOY
      bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

I'd like to share the following message that I received through a friend whose name shall remain anonymous. The message will speak for itself and provide insight into what went on and how the mood was up at the Kamehameha Schools campus the morning the Federal Appeals Court decision was announced:
        "It was a very sad day yesterday up on the Kapälama Heights campus.

News of the 9th Circuit Court's ruling against the Hawaiian preference policy of Kamehameha Schools spread quickly in the early morning. The entire campus was somber. The Performing Arts students organized a slow march from the top of the campus to the Bernice Pauahi Bishop Memorial Chapel, chanting and singing in the name of Kamehameha the entire way. He inoa no Kamehameha.

Many were dressed kahiko, old style, Hawaiian, with shirtless men wearing malo and women in fabric hula skirts. Perhaps a dozen of them carried stalks of ki (ti leaves) in a line on either side of the marchers, somewhat like kahili would be carried in a royal procession. Many of the marchers wore their bright red "Ku I Ka Pono" t-shirts from earlier Hawaiian rights marches. Tears streamed down the faces of many of the marchers as they reached the chapel. Just outside the entrance, they stopped again and presented a mournful Kamehameha name chant.

They were greeted at the entrance by a large crowd of somber-faced Kamehameha Schools faculty and staff, and by Kahu, who welcomed them in. Hundreds of students filed in and and filled the seats and walkways of the chapel, joining the many staffers already there. Prayers were offered in English and Hawaiian. Large pahu (drums) sounded from the back of the chapel and students performed hula kahiko in the aisles. They will possibly never perform the hula more seriously or with more purpose during their lives. They were joined impromptu by the new Kapälama Campus high school principal Julian K. Ako, himself a noted Kumu Hula and Hawaiian scholar.

Ako then addressed the crowd, saying that we may have to allow admission for the Fall 2005 school year to the student Doe whose lawsuit prompted the court ruling. Ako said that he did not know which campus would be assigned the student, but that Doe would enter the school as a senior in the graduating class of 2006.

Then Kumu Ako stressed to the crowd that no matter our personal feelings, that this student would be welcomed warmly, with aloha, into the Kamehameha Schools 'ohana. He reminded all that the best we could do would be to uphold our highest spirit, standards and qualities of conduct exemplified by the students of Kamehameha Schools. The crowd stood and sang Doxology in Hawaiian.

"Ho'onani ka Makua Mau. Ke keiki nei ka 'uhane no. Ke Akua Mau ho'o maika'i ku. Ko keia au, ko kela au. Amene."

To end the service all remained standing and sang the Kamehameha Alma Mater.

Be strong and ally-ye oh sons of Hawai'i
        And nobly stand together hand in hand
        Be true and rely-ye oh sons of Hawai'i
        And bravely serve your own your fatherland
        Ring, ring, Kalihi ring
        Swell the echo of our song
        Ray ray ray ray ray rah, ray ray Kamehameha
        Let hills and valleys loud our song prolong
        Be firm and deny-ye oh sons of Hawai'i
        Allurements that your race will overwhelm
        Be true and defy-ye oh sons of Hawai'i
        On God the prop and pillar of your realm
        Ring, ring, Kalihi ring
        Swell the echo of our song
        Ray ray ray ray ray rah, ray ray Kamehameha
        Let hills and valleys loud our song prolong

There were no dry eyes in the chapel. Everyone just stood where they were, unsure of what to do. No one moved to leave until Kahu returned to the podium and urged gently, "OK, you may leave. We're pau."

A judge basically ruled that the last will and testament of Princess Bernice Pauahi Bishop, royalty of the Kingdom of Hawai'i, crafted in 1883 under Kingdom law, was invalid under United States law. This is the same U.S. which in 1893 sent an armed Marine contingent into the streets of Honolulu and which marched to 'I'olani Palace. Inside the palace, the leaders of large commercial interests in Hawai'i, sugar planters, citizens of the United States, were overthrowing the monarchy and installing themselves as rulers. This was the first U.S. invasion of Hawai'i.

Here we are, 112 years later, and one cannot help but feel that they have done it again. We are planning a march this Saturday, August 6, at 8:00 a.m. from 'I'olani Palace to Mauna Ala, the Royal Mausoleum on Nu'uanu Avenue.

You are welcome to join us if you wish. Wear red."

Comment

sycophancy of Campbell Estate

Originally posted by Miulang
          I don't know why Campbell Estate would want to get involved in something as political as the KSBE issue
          Well it's not likely that the 25 or so current heirs to Campbell Estate are the motivation behind such, but its not so impossible that's it not worth pondering; however, it is more likely a phenomenon evolved from within the management and sycophancy of Campbell Estate, very much like such phenomena of corporatUSt afflictions has for the past half dozen or so generations befallen the populations of these islands. Corporatism, US american$' --being a ruling faction within the U. S. -- formulae of hegemonic rapture cannot coexist with there being held any thriving sense of Community by peoples over whose lives and resources hegemons reign. The two ideologies are mutually exclusive, the absence of one defines the other.
          Last edited by waioli kai; August 6, 2005, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah

"You are welcome to join us if you wish. Wear red."
            Did anyone here actually join them, or was 8:00 a.m. too early?

Comment

Ku I Ka Pono, reds and blacks

i like the KU I KA PONO black-on-red shirts worn by supporters, worn by both supporters whose biology reflects indigenous Hawaiian lineage and worn by supporters whose biology is absent such lineage. i like the suggestion that, in public gatherings of KU I KA PONO supporters, red-on-black shirts be worn only by KU I KA PONO supporters whose blood is comprised of these islands native lineage.

KU I KA PONO supporters who like to wear the red on black shirt but whose blood is not comprised of these islands' native lineage might merely show their respect by wearing only the black on red shirts in public gatherings intended to be demonstrative of citizen support for KU I KA PONO.

Comment

The Advertiser reported that the police estimated 10-12,000 people participated in the Honolulu demonstration this morning. Since it was a police estimate, my guess is that there were many more who went to add their voices to the kanaka maoli and the KSBE students.

The demonstrations on the neighbor islands are scheduled for later this afternoon. More reports on those later.

Imua!

Miulang

P.S. many expats are wearing red too, to show solidarity with the kanaka maoli.
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Ku I Ka Pono, reds and blacks

Originally posted by waioli kai

i like the suggestion that, in public gatherings of KU I KA PONO supporters, red-on-black shirts be worn only by KU I KA PONO supporters whose blood is comprised of these islands native lineage.

KU I KA PONO supporters who like to wear the red on black shirt but whose blood is not comprised of these islands' native lineage might merely show their respect by wearing only the black on red shirts in public gatherings intended to be demonstrative of citizen support for KU I KA PONO.
                  Well, that also might be misconstrued as saying, "Eh braddahs and titas, go come my house eat aftah da rally pau, k? But eh, if you like use da lua, can you please use da one with da black/red door marked Koko 'ole (lacking Hawaiian blood) instead of da one with da red/black Kanaka Maoli (indigenous Hawaiian) door? But we really love you guys too!"

I think that the impact you get from facing a sea of bodies unified as one, solid color contains more psychological intimidation than a sea of kalakoa colors.

"United we stand, divided we fall" -- this should be the rallying cry for all of today's Hawaiians should they hope to ever get ahead any farther than they haven't been able to do all these years.

Comment

The report from today's Maui News about the sentiments being expressed in Hana and on Lanai.

Onipaa!

Miulang

Comment

I'm sure this letter to the editor in the Maui News accurately sums up the feeling of many of the local non-kanaka maoli and why it's so important for people to join with the kanaka maoli to work to make things pono for them.
                      The writer of the letter is of Portuguese descent...so it just goes to show...it's NOT just the kanaka maoli who are taking up this cause; it's anyone who believes in justice.

That's not to say that ALL newcomers are creating the problem, and where the problems are created, I think it's because the malihini don't understand about the rich heritage of the 'aina. They think Hawai'i is "just another State". Well, for starters, what other state has a language other than English as one of its official languages? None. And if you count pidgin, Hawai'i has TWO languages that are different from the other States in the Union.

Miulang
                      Last edited by Miulang; August 6, 2005, 01:17 PM.

Comment

blood quanta qualifications

Craig, thanks for explaining some aspects of and some likely consequences of the passage of, the Akaka bill.

"... when Princess Bernice Pauahi Bishop meant the orphaned children she basically meant children of Hawaiian descent orphaned by the loss of their indigenous nation, the nation of (the Kingdom of) Hawaii. " - -cwatanabe
                        When the allegation of unjustifiable racial discrimination is leveled at Kamehameha Schools admission policies, it should be remembered that it was the result of U.S. Congressional pressures upon Hawaiian leadership that originally pushed for more exclusionary (that is, a higher percent) blood quantum designations to determine who would deemed to be of Hawaiian lineage. The Hawaiian prince who was queried by U.S. Congressional reps about what fraction of a person's Hawaiian blood should qualify one to be "Hawaiian", said that 1/32 was okay; but, it was U.S. Congressional pressure which forced the 50% blood quantum qualification then imposed as the standard which would determine whether individuals were Hawaiian or not.
                        Last edited by waioli kai; August 6, 2005, 01:42 PM.

Comment

I had a presentation to give at Bishop Museum today, but I had to take a long detour into town to see what was going on at Iolani Palace. I circled it a couple of times, and even early, it was a sight to behold. I already have my 'red on black' Kau Inoa shirt, so I didn't jump out to buy one of the 'black on red' shirts thousands of people were wearing...

I hope there were some aerial shots of the grounds and the march. It must've been something!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon

I had a presentation to give at Bishop Museum today, but I had to take a long detour into town to see what was going on at Iolani Palace. I circled it a couple of times, and even early, it was a sight to behold. I already have my 'red on black' Kau Inoa shirt, so I didn't jump out to buy one of the 'black on red' shirts thousands of people were wearing...

I hope there were some aerial shots of the grounds and the march. It must've been something!
                            If the masses of people were anything like what I witnessed while standing in line at the funeral for Braddah IZ at the state capitol rotunda back in '97, it must have been an awesome sight!

Comment

For a little historical perspective on what happened in the 2002 case on Maui, read the link here. In the story, it reiterated again that KSBE had modified its admissions policy to Hawaiian-first, NOT Hawaiian-only.

Dr. Hamilton McCubbin, KSBE CEO, was interviewed by a Maui radio station:

"...McCubbin said procedural changes would be made to reaffirm Kamehameha's standing policy to give preference for school admission to Hawaiian and part-Hawaiian children.

The school plans to remove potential barriers in the admissions process. Such barriers could range from the $25 application fee, which may be waived, to even bigger obstacles, such as the cutoff standard during the evaluation of student candidates.

"Ground rules are going to be different," McCubbin said. The trustees are committed to serving more Native Hawaiians, he said.

While the school will continue to look for the "best and brightest" students, it will also emphasize in its student candidate evaluation the overall potential of each child....

"...In the case of the Maui campus, McCubbin explained there were only 54 applicants for 45 slots. Kamehameha estimates there were 450 possible applicants for the 8th grade alone on Maui.

Teachers reviewed each student's grades, essays and references, and conducted a one-on-one interview.

Nineteen Hawaiians on Maui qualified for the 20 male spots in the 8th grade. Based on the point system guiding teachers at the time, the non-Hawaiian [Kalani] Rosell was the next qualified applicant for the 20th male slot. He was accepted..."

Sounds to me that on Maui, a non-Hawaiian student (even though he had a Hawaiian first name and his mom was hanai'd to a kanaka maoli family) was admitted because he did well in his application for enrollment and the space was available to accommodate him. There was nothing prejudicial about his entry into KSBE-Maui campus at all. Kalani Rosell will be graduating from KSBE-Maui next May. He apparently has been accepted by his classmates and is doing very well in school.

Miulang

Comment

"Blowing conch shells and chanting Hawaiian prayers, some 15,000 people marched through downtown Honolulu this morning to protest a federal court ruling striking down Kamehameha Schools’ Hawaiians-only admissions policy as unlawful."

"Introducing herself as a "haole" and "a non-Hawaiian," Gov. Linda Lingle said the court’s decision was 'not just.'"

"Today's march, which brought together toddlers, children, parents, and grandparents all wearing red shirts, culminated at the Royal Mausoleum, a cemetery where Princess Bernice Pauahi Bishop, the founder of the school, is buried."

Comment

Working...
                                X