X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HPU's Subliminal Racist Marketing Campaign

Originally posted by kahalabrah
    she's a white-worshipping sellout.

Asian american women on the mainland are outwardly shameless about their preference for white men

an individual's personal preference should never be disparaged.
    Last time I looked, this was part of the freedom of our country.

You think they should be shamefull, cuz they don't fall at YOUR feet?!
    jeez.

Comment

Originally posted by Moto
      Another Item to think about. HPU had a commercial on the air that probably predates you here in Hawaii Kahalabrah, where they showed students announcing to the camera, where their origin were. The message they were trying to get across is that their student body is comprised from people all over the world. I'm sure the locals know what commercial I'm talking about.
      I remember that commercial! All kinds of people.
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

But whenever I was attracted to an asian on the mainland, 90% of the time she's a white-worshipping sellout.
        Wow... pretty good example of how racism definitely goes both ways.

Judging by the opinions and related attitude I've seen from you in your brief time here KB, I'm starting to think you might have a problem attracting women in general - not just Asians.

HPU is a pretty diverse place, especially for a private institution. There are more students from the mainland there because they can afford the tuition. Locals go to one of the community colleges, then jump to UH-Manoa.

Comment

I had no choice but to date haole girls when I was growing up! As you may know, on the mainland, most asian girls told me to my face, or to my friends "Sorry, I don't date asian guys."

Translation: "I don't date whiney Asian guys."

Comment

I had no choice but to date haole girls when I was growing up! As you may know, on the mainland, most asian girls told me to my face, or to my friends "Sorry, I don't date asian guys." Plus, I was often the only asian in my entire town, school, workplace on the east coast. But whenever I was attracted to an asian on the mainland, 90% of the time she's a white-worshipping sellout.

Asian american women on the mainland are outwardly shameless about their preference for white men which I don't see here in Hawaii. Hawaii and mainland are polar opposites for asian americans. Everywhere in mainland media and advertising and even in real life you see the White man/asian female coupling. Never if ever do you see asian man/white female. I was an anomaly by dating white girls.
            Aloha kahalabrah,

You were probably attracted to Asian and Asian American women who were predisposed to "selling out" when you lived in the continental U.S. The Asian American community is quite diverse, so the stereotype that Asian American women on the "mainland" prefer white men is somewhat misleading. The late Harry Kitano, a UCLA sociologist and professor of mine, studied the dating and marriage patterns of Asian Americans rather extensively. In brief, Kitano found that sansei (third-generation) and yonsei (fourth-generation) Japanese American females were more likely to date and marry non-Asian Americans more that any other Asian American female group. Laotian, Cambodian, and Vietnamese American women, on the other hand, were more likely to date and marry other Asians and Asian Americans. The primary reason for this difference is attributable to different immigrant histories and acculturation patterns. Furthermore, the Asian and Asian American women in Hawai'i are not exactly the "polar opposites" of their counterparts on the continental U.S. However, the propinquity of suitable Asian and Asian American males here is somewhat higher than on the continental U.S., which slightly skews the statistics.

Ultimately, the success of an Asian or Asian American male in the dating and marriage arena here and in the continental U.S. has more to do with his own personal characteristics rather than the perceived preferences of Asian and Asian American females.
            Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

But whenever I was attracted to an asian on the mainland, 90% of the time she's a white-worshipping sellout.
              Wow. Just... wow. I think I'd have to echo my colleagues here and say that the problems you're experiencing might not entirely be the construct of the rest of the world.

Asian american women on the mainland are outwardly shameless about their preference for white men which I don't see here in Hawaii.
              Were you on A. Magazine's editorial board, by any chance? I just kept reading story after story about Them stealing Our women. As if those women, by any measure, belonged to anyone because of their race.

Of course, after I met and married my wife, I wished I could write my own letter to the editor to brag that I got one of Their women! (But really, my wife was the one that did the getting.)

Yeah, television and movies (and even stock photo collections, used by most ad agencies) are chock full of Asian woman, white male pairings. Or even Asian women, black male parings. Yes, Asian males are underrepresented overall, and I don't think I've disagreed with you on this general point. But again, taking your perceptions of a slight on a universal level and applying it to the marketing department of a local educational institution is way, way too far of a reach.

Comment

Sorry guys if I sound like I'm spouting off! A lot of my buttons were pushed and this forum has, for better or for worse, allowed me to vent! I appreciate the honest dialogue. To answer your concerns, I have no problem attracting women and currently date a local asian woman, just needed to vent as a mainland asian thriving in Hawaii.

It really makes a huge difference in quality of life when you are not a token of any race in a majority culture. Especially one that is perceived as a "perpetual foreigner" by the majority whites.

I still maintain that I see HPU's selective usage of primarily whites in their marketing as patently racist and offensive. But that's just my humble opinion.

Comment

I still maintain that I see HPU's selective usage of primarily whites in their marketing as patently racist and offensive. But that's just my humble opinion.
                  uh, no. That is most emphatically nowhere near the neighbrborhood of a
                  "humble opinion"

You are bound and determined to feel offended. Good luck in yer unhumble endeavor.
                  Last edited by kimo55; September 3, 2005, 05:37 PM.

Comment

you said: "uh, no. That is most emphatically nowhere near the neighbrborhood of a
                    "humble opinion"

You are bound and determined to feel offended. Good luck in yer unhumble endeavor."

I can't understand why all the white people on this forum refuse to see the facts:

1. HPU uses, almost exclusively, whites to market their predominantly asian-american/local university

2. HPU virtually excludes asian males in all marketing material.

3. If points 1 and/or 2 are factually correct then some form of racism exists.

It is an opinion based on indesputible facts available to anyone.

Comment

see kimo's response.

Comment

3. If points 1 and/or 2 are factually correct then some form of racism exists.

It is an opinion based on indesputible facts available to anyone.
                        wrongo, chucko. You are in no way privy to what HPU believes.
                        since the word "racism" is defined as :
                        a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race"
                        ...makes yer claim of racism null and void and irrelevant, and superfluous and illogical, and ridculous, and inciting, and inflammatory, and racist, and closeminded, and simpleminded, and...

but as before, good luck in yer endeavor in finding waldo, where waldo ain't.
                        Last edited by kimo55; September 3, 2005, 06:01 PM.

Comment

I can't understand why all the white people on this forum refuse to see the facts
                          Care to share your census of Caucasian members of this forum? It seems like a pretty good mix of people from different backgrounds have been humoring your rallying cry against HPU's evil, racist campaign. I disagree with your assessment, and I ain't white, and I most assuredly find your "facts" to be questionable at best.
                          HPU uses, almost exclusively, whites to market their predominantly asian-american/local university
                          Are you even reading what others are posting, or just reading off someone's talking points? We've all cited examples of non-whites used in HPUs ads. And I've said at least three times that HPU is most certainly not "predominantly Asian-American." Hell, I wonder if they're predominantly anything American, given again their strong international student body (with probably the highest representation of European countries of any school here). So, fact one, as you've so helpfully numbered, not proven, and probably not true.
                          2. HPU virtually excludes asian males in all marketing material.
                          See above. There have been Asian males in contemporary television ads, and as others have reminded me, they also had a "all the countries of HPU" TV ad where the diverse backgrounds of their student body was highlighted -- from Fiji to Hawaii Kai, from Indonesia to Norway. Fact two? Definitely false.
                          3. If points 1 and/or 2 are factually correct then some form of racism exists. It is an opinion based on indesputible facts available to anyone.
                          Except your "facts" are anything but, and are certainly not "factually correct," and for all your mea culpas and "I'm just trying to start a conversation here," it seems you're completely unwilling to concede you may be off track, and all I'm seeing here is a relentless and closed-minded effort to indict HPU of some horrible and largely imaginary crime.

Comment

I apologize if I've offended anyone. But please understand that my opinion is of a mainland born/raised asian-american. My views may be slightly distorted but I stand by them.

Thank you.

Comment

I apologize if I've offended anyone. But please understand that my opinion is of a mainland born/raised asian-american. My views may be slightly distorted but I stand by them.

Thank you.

Your opinion is offence. Either we gotta be offended, you must be offended, we may be offended....

Jay Zeus keerice.

"To the jaundiced eye, everything appears yellow"
                              Aristotle

Comment

I can't understand why all the white people on this forum refuse to see the facts:
                                Damn, I've got so many angry comebacks to that comment that I just can't decide which one to use.
                                So I'll just say this: I smell a troll.
                                KahalaBrah, if you were so unhappy on the mainland and you're still unhappy here, maybe you should very seriously consider moving to Asia. No, wait. You'd still be unhappy, because they want to emulate the western lifestyle and use haoles in their ads too. (And I notice you never did answer my questions about that in my earlier reply.) You refuse to listen to anyone here.
                                AHA! I've got the perfect spot for you: ANTARCTICA.
                                Have a nice trip. Don't let the door hit you in your paranoid butt on the way out.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X