This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HPU's Subliminal Racist Marketing Campaign

I happen to have an HPU pamphlet here; it's from the center for graduate studies, specifically about the new M.Ed. program (in which I enrolled today). I thought it might be useful to take a look at it. I don't think it will confirm or disprove KahalaBrah's original post, since I think he's mostly talking about print advertisements, and this is something quite a bit different, but at the same time, it is at least something concrete and present.

Cover: Two photographs. One shows an Asian male and a very, very attractive Asian female. I hope she's in one of my classes. The other shows a woman of unknown ethnic background, but if I had to guess I'd say half Euro, half Hispanic.

Inside Front Cover: Four students -- one male and three female -- three of whom can be seen clearly. All three clearly visible students are Caucasian, 'though one looks like he's of mixed ancestry. One student who can only be seen from the side looks Filipino to me.

Page One: One photograph, two male and two female students. Two Asians, two Caucasians.

Page Four: One photograph of an HPU professor. I'm willing to bet Hispanic or Filipino. Her first name's Valentina. I guess that doesn't prove anything, and she could easily be Caucasian, but she's the director of the program, so I think her picture would be in here regardless of her ethnic ancestry.

Page Five: One photograph of a male, mostly Caucasian-looking professor, also one of the professors in the program.

Page Six: One photograph of a male professsor of what looks like mixed ancestry. Perhaps African, perhaps southern Italian. Can't really tell.

Page Seven: One photograph of three women. One looks mostly Caucasian. The other two look mostly Pacific Islander.

Page Eight: Two photographs. One is of the Dean of the college of Liberal Arts -- I'd guess Filipino. The other is of two men and a woman, all of whom look mostly Caucasian.

Page Nine: One photograph of the inside of the Center for Graduate Studies (I was just there this morning). I see one Asian woman with nice thighs who I think helped me get registered this morning, two Caucasian women, one Pacific Islander woman, and two Caucasian men.

Well. There you go. I don't know what this indicates, if anything. Other than the fact that I need a date, I mean.
    Last edited by scrivener; September 3, 2005, 07:55 PM. Reason: "I ain't seen my baby since a-nigh on a week . . ."
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by kahalabrah
      I apologize if I've offended anyone. But please understand that my opinion is of a mainland born/raised asian-american. My views may be slightly distorted but I stand by them.

Thank you.
      Aloha kahalabrah,

As a mainland-born and raised Asian American, you've probably got some issues that need to be resolved. You might want to read some of the works of Dr. Stanley Sue, a clinical psychology professor at UC Davis that specializes in Asian American mental health issues.

Best of luck,

Jonah K
      Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Reading posts about relocating to Hawai’i from the mainland, and others about general life in Hawai’i, am I correct to assume that KahalaBra’s attitude is the wrong one to have when moving/living in Hawai’i? It seems to me one needs an open mind at least. As a Mexican-American I’ve never in all my days felt “under-represented” and would never suspect Hawai’i as being racist. Then again it wouldn’t be up to me since, as a newcomer, its Hawaii’s way, not mine. Seems to me just another “mainlander” trying to push beliefs on “locals” who’ve lived here all their lives. If you want any chance on living here KahalaBra, I would suggest an open mind and closed mouth. It takes time, maybe even a lifetime to understand Hawai’i and to adapt yourself (and not the other way around) to its customs, culture and way of life.
        Arturo

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
          I happen to have an HPU pamphlet here; it's from the center for graduate studies, specifically about the new M.Ed. program (in which I enrolled today). I thought it might be useful to take a look at it.
          And just now when I came online, the first thing I did was go to HPU's website at http://hpu.edu . I pretty much found the balance you describe from the pamphlet, Scriv. And not even a hint of the racism that KahalaBrah claims exists.
          "Paranoia runs deep, if into your mind it will creep..."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by arturo_h
            am I correct to assume that KahalaBra’s attitude is the wrong one to have when moving/living in Hawai’i?
            Does the phrase "HELL YES" ring a familiar bell?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by kahalabrah
              I apologize if I've offended anyone. But please understand that my opinion is of a mainland born/raised asian-american. My views may be slightly distorted but I stand by them.
              From your postings you have issues with HPU. My suggestion would be for you to take it up with the management of HPU. If you feel that HPU violated your civil rights in one form or another there are governmental agenices that you can contact about this, off hand I don't know exactly which ones.

Comment

Oh Helen, sometimes you crack me up! ok, nudder gold star. or green mark.
                too funny.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55

Oh Helen, sometimes you crack me up! ok, nudder gold star. or green mark.
                  too funny.
                  Speaking of green marks, at first I thought I was seeing double. I was wrong. I was seeing triple!

Comment

I just meant anoddah pos rep point to helen for that witty post, but yea... where those chicklettes come from?!

Comment

This is too hard a topic for me to be discussing. However, did someone say they needed a date? nah, I just joking with you ya.

Auntie Lynn
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                      X