Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 20th Century Hawai'i

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
    not to dive off course too much but, how does a thread (such as this one ) earn stars and stuff?
    Check out the top bar where it says "Rate Thread". Also, try clicking on the little scales icon next to each individual post.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      And an even more provocative question is, which Hawaiian people do you mean? The commoners, or the ali‘i? I think that many people, when thinking about old Hawai‘i, forget that Hawaiians were not a monolithic group who all thought and acted the same.
      Yeah, that's a good point. And there's not only the kanaka maoli, but there were also the immigrants and the missionary haoles. Whatever your feelings towards each group, they were all part of the overall dynamic in Hawaii at that time.

*edit* Oh, and sorry Glen. I knew it was either you or Pua'i that brought up the 20th century thing... guess I was just too lazy to go look it up myself.
      Last edited by Palolo Joe; September 7, 2005, 03:01 PM.

Comment

How about a bibliography? I'll start:

Land and Power in Hawaii, by Gavan Daws and George Cooper. Dry as hell, but so meaty. I need to go and re-read the chapter on Salt Lake.

Shoal of Time: A History of the Hawaiian Islands, by Gavan Daws. Good for the earlier period.

Catch a Wave: A Case Study of Hawaii's New Politics, by Tom Coffman.
        Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; September 7, 2005, 03:12 PM.

Comment

How about a bibliography? I'll start:

Land and Power in Hawaii, by Gavan Daws and George Cooper. Dry as hell, but so meaty. I need to go and re-read the chapter on Salt Lake.

Shoal of Time: A History of the Hawaiian Islands, by Gavan Daws. Good for the earlier period.
          Shoal of Time is an excellent book. So is Kahana: How the Land was Lost by Robert Stauffer that covers the period from 1846-1920 and is mostly about the homestead land called Kahana and goes into some detail about the Great Mahele of 1846-1855.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Here's an interesting reference from the UH that I just found:

The Annexation Of Hawaii: A Collection Of Documents
            http://libweb.hawaii.edu/digicoll/an...nnexation.html

It's a collection of scanned-in historical documents from the time of the annexation and thereafter. Enjoy!

Comment

I wonder if those documents were lost in the recent flooding...
              Last edited by Palolo Joe; September 7, 2005, 03:47 PM.

Comment

And an even more provocative question is, which Hawaiian people do you mean? The commoners, or the ali‘i? I think that many people, when thinking about old Hawai‘i, forget that Hawaiians were not a monolithic group who all thought and acted the same.

Later:
                And what ever happened to those ali‘i families, anyway? Some of them intermarried with the haole missionaries and businessmen, and maintained their positions of wealth and power -- for example the Kawānanakoa family, who are Campbell Estate beneficiaries and are worth uku-pile bucks. Are they still among the movers and shakers of the islands?
                Well, Auntie Kekau spends most of her time in California, but she occasionally appears in Hawai'i and raises a stink about Hawaiian burial artifacts. Cousin Q made an aborted run for Abercrombie's seat in the U.S. House of Representatives back in 1998, and he's currently serving as one of the O'ahu reps on the DHHL's Hawaiian Homes Commission. Uncle Dudie passed away in 1997 and his sister, Auntie Po'omai passed away in 1998. Auntie Kapi is still around though, here's a picture of her and Cousin Dave (the haole-looking folks seated to the right of Vicky and Ben Cayetano), attending some function a few years back....

Other members of the Kawānanakoa family are leading rather quiet lives, contributing to charities, raising kids, surfing the internet, and stuff li' dat.

Jonah K
                Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

So that's what the K in Jonah K means. Thanks for the very knowledgeable update on the clan!

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
                    Other members of the Kawa¯nanakoa family are leading rather quiet lives, contributing to charities, raising kids, surfing the internet, and stuff li' dat.
                    Which is actually pretty interesting. The money is the only real distinction, otherwise these descendants of alii ended up leading much the same lives as those of the makaainana during the later part of the 20th century.

Comment

I have a feeling that 20th Century Hawaiian history is sometimes a little bit too close to the present to make for objective discussions of controversial topics. I mean, look at Thurston Twigg-Smith, still fighting his grandfather's battles!

Comment

So that's what the K in Jonah K means. Thanks for the very knowledgeable update on the clan!
                        I'm surprised that someone didn't figure out where the "Jonah" came from sooner.

Jonah Kuhio Kalaniana'ole

Comment

And speaking again of the Kawānanakoa family, the Star-Bulletin ran an article about a woman, apparently not completely there upstairs, who keeps on claiming to be Abigail Kawānanakoa although nobody except her thinks she is. I guess identity theft doesn't always work.

Comment

And speaking again of the Kawānanakoa family, the Star-Bulletin ran an article about a woman, apparently not completely there upstairs, who keeps on claiming to be Abigail Kawānanakoa although nobody except her thinks she is. I guess identity theft doesn't always work.
                            I saw that article as well. "Charlotte" (or whatever she's calling herself these days) has been a bit of a thorn in Kekau's side for years.
                            http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln03a.html

The ultimate question is which accountant miscalculated Kekau's estimated tax payments so that the IRS ended up issuing a $2.1 million tax refund check in the first place?

Now if "Charlotte" were more like "Amelia Ku'ulei Gora"....
                            http://www.middleeast.org/forum/fb-public/1/4016.shtml

Cheers,

Jonah K

Comment

Waikiki from 1931 vs 1970

http://www.downwindproductions.com/t...1931_1970.html

Comment

From another thread:

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                                The truth to that statement is a sad one...but all too true. If more Hawaiians became college graduate literate that statement would be a false one. Hawaiians need to pull together and like I said before like a broken record: form a chamber of commerce, form an ag cooperative, get more Kanaka Maoli in local and national government.

By placing themselves in the political and commerce powerseats, they control their destiny. How do you do it? Play the white man's game and beat them at their own rules!

If Hawaiians became the dominant leaders by virtue of their education, oh man this state would be such a different place than how it is now!
                                You know, it used to be that way. Back in the pre-WWII days, before the Japanese came to power, the government of Hawai‘i was run by Hawaiians and haoles. Yes that's right, your typical state or county worker a hundred years ago was a Hawaiian guy, not a Japanese.

What happened?

Comment

Working...
                                X