"You Learn Something Every Day"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "You Learn Something Every Day"

I learned that the numbers on the inside part of the rice cooker actually mean something. Like if you put 3 cups raw rice in... you add water to the 3 cup line. No wonder the 3 cups in the rice pot is more than a real 3 cups... duh. I always used the finger method since I was born.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
      I learned that the numbers on the inside part of the rice cooker actually mean something. Like if you put 3 cups raw rice in... you add water to the 3 cup line. No wonder the 3 cups in the rice pot is more than a real 3 cups... duh. I always used the finger method since I was born.
      It was a profound discovery when I first learned this. A veritable paradigm shift. Mind-blowing. I kid thee not.

pax

Comment

From the new trivia questions contest thread, I learned this:

Originally posted by scrivener
        ...Mokoli`i, or Chinaman's Hat, was named for its resemblance to a lizard's tail!
        And frankly I don't see a resemblence to a tail at all. It sure looks like a Chinaman's Hat (yes Kahalabrah!) and that is what I have always known it to be, other than the island's Hawaiian name of course.

And since I never watched the Muppets TV show, I never knew they even had a house band, less knew what their names were. So those are 2 things I learned today.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I've learned or realized that I've been doing most of my learning lately at Hawaiithreads.
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
            I've learned or realized that I've been doing most of my learning lately at Hawaiithreads.
            Run! Run like the wind! Save yourself, good man! And send help!
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Yes, you can learn a lot of things over here, such as the detailed usage of the English language in the ongoing HawaiiThreads trivia game... Polish, Herb, Lima, whatevers.... it is interesting to know this especially since most of us don't take the time to learn this stuff on our own.... Here it is a much less formal area than say a school, so in a way learning is kind of fun, no matter how strange.

Of course like anything that is so easy to consume, take everything you think you learned here with a grain of salt. There are so many opinions here!
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                From the new trivia questions contest thread, I learned this:

And frankly I don't see a resemblence to a tail at all. It sure looks like a Chinaman's Hat (yes Kahalabrah!) and that is what I have always known it to be, other than the island's Hawaiian name of course.

And since I never watched the Muppets TV show, I never knew they even had a house band, less knew what their names were. So those are 2 things I learned today.
                chinaman's hat is the end of the tail of a mo'o described by the ridgeline that towers above kualoa ranch...the head is pointed at the highway...the rest of the tail is under water...it takes imagination, but if you look at it long enough, it's there...
                Don't be mean,
                try to help.

Comment

I learned that 16 runners from Hawai'i will be among the 40,000+ to toe the starting line at this weekend's running of the Chicago Marathon...one of the world's largest marathons staged. I will be running it as a practice run in preparation for competeing in a marathon that not only is also one of the world's largest, but undoubtably one of (if not THE) most beautiful..the Honolulu Marathon.

Best of luck to you, if you are one of the 16 mentioned! See 'ya there!

Source regarding Hawai'i entrants: The Chicago Marathon office.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
                    I learned that 16 runners from Hawai'i will be among the 40,000+ to toe the starting line at this weekend's running of the Chicago Marathon...one of the world's largest marathons staged. I will be running it as a practice run in preparation for competeing in a marathon that not only is also one of the world's largest, but undoubtably one of (if not THE) most beautiful..the Honolulu Marathon.

Best of luck to you, if you are one of the 16 mentioned! See 'ya there!

Source regarding Hawai'i entrants: The Chicago Marathon office.
                    yo, farmboy! give 'em hell in chicago! and reach us when you get here (after the Honolulu Marathon, of course)...

i've learned that i'm continually amazed by the folks i've "met" here at HT...
                    Don't be mean,
                    try to help.

Comment

I learned that I am ADDICTED to scrivener's trivia game!

My husband said at least it's a cheap addiction, unlike his addiction to eBay!
                      Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Comment

Yep, there are no entry fees to play... just a sharp mind required or good internet hunting skills.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Today, I learned that Hazel's got a ring on her left ring-finger, too!
                          She was probably too young, anyway.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I learned that if you're going to kick your son's training potty across the living room, it's generally a good idea to make sure it's empty first...

Comment

I learned that the wrap party I'm invited to next Friday night is being hosted by the director with whom I have a casting session...next Friday night! We're all in the midst of resolving that time conflict. May the party win...as I'm sure it will!

Oh...and I learned how to operate my new Tilia Foodsaver today. Very easy. Cool!

Aha! Just got an email. The party won! Yea!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                                I learned that if you're going to kick your son's training potty across the living room, it's generally a good idea to make sure it's empty first...

Well, shoots, pop, if it's got something in it, you oughta be jumping for joy!
                                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                                X