"You Learn Something Every Day"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "You Learn Something Every Day"

I learned that GEICO (the auto insurance company) stood for "Government Employees Insurance COmpany"

I have yet to learn if its tailored towards gov't employees (raising the question why my parents have it) or the gov't is controlling it.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

It started off as targeting government employees but branched out decades ago, which is why it's not called that anymore.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I learned that I can dry eggs in my dehydrator, and now I have an inexpensve supply (bought powdered eggs are very expen$ive) of powdered egg that will be used for cakes, puddings, omlettes and scrambled eggs, among other things..

All you gotta do is to beat them til really thick and foamy (at that stage, four eggs makes about a quart of egg foam), and then pour them out very thinly (I pour them onto eight-inch square plastic lids), pop them into the dehydrator at 60°c, and a few hours later...Voila!

Then I blend them up with my trusty wand-style mixer, and bag them in the Foodsaver machine....one cup of eggs equals about ten largish fresh eggs.
        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

I learned about Colicky Babies.

My granddaughter, Kiana is a Colicky baby.

My daughter came to me for help. We both searched and learned together what we could find and read. Although it is going to be hard. Kiana is in Excellent hands. Love and Patience will always be given.

My search for a Part-Time Job is postponed. My grandchildren are my priorities.

Yesterday Gaya, Kiana and I went to Ward StarBucks to get some treats for my daughter and I. People stared at us because of Kiana's constant crying. I realized how stupid others can be and judgemental without knowing the facts.

I wanted to throw my Iced Mocha in all their faces...but my Sane side kept telling me to drink it.heheheh

NOTE: It's been estimated that up to 25% of all infants have colic. It usually starts between the 3rd and 6th week after birth, and goes away on its own by the time the baby is 3 months old. If the baby seems to still have colic after that time, the infant might have some sort of health problem.
          http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/gro...ing/colic.html

If you have any Advice to share with Gaya and me, we'd appreciate it very much.

Auntie Lynn
          Last edited by 1stwahine; August 28, 2006, 07:26 AM.
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
            NOTE: It's been estimated that up to 25% of all infants have colic. It usually starts between the 3rd and 6th week after birth, and goes away on its own by the time the baby is 3 months old. If the baby seems to still have colic after that time, the infant might have some sort of health problem.
            http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/gro...ing/colic.html

If you have any Advice to share with Gaya and me, we'd appreciate it very much.

Auntie Lynn

My oldest was what the doctor would term colicky but he had me try Mylicon and it is amazing stuff. 8x out of 10 even tho he was breast feed... the boy was gassy and in pain thus the crying. you might wanna try it.... I also found the name brand worked better than storebrand or generic. the Dr. explained that they are finding out that some babies have a very delicate intestinal system and that Gas something they cant tell you they have. lemme know if it helps. it usually takes about 10-20 minutes to start working dependent where in the track the gas is causing probs. after about a month my son just tasting the stuff would quiet down because he knew the pain would soon stop.... go figure
            Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

Originally posted by kaneohegirl
              My oldest was what the doctor would term colicky but he had me try Mylicon and it is amazing stuff. 8x out of 10 even tho he was breast feed... the boy was gassy and in pain thus the crying. you might wanna try it.... I also found the name brand worked better than storebrand or generic. the Dr. explained that they are finding out that some babies have a very delicate intestinal system and that Gas something they cant tell you they have. lemme know if it helps. it usually takes about 10-20 minutes to start working dependent where in the track the gas is causing probs. after about a month my son just tasting the stuff would quiet down because he knew the pain would soon stop.... go figure
              Thank you so very much!

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                It started off as targeting government employees but branched out decades ago, which is why it's not called that anymore.
                So, then why do they have that on their statement if it isn't being used?
                How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
                  So, then why do they have that on their statement if it isn't being used?
                  Maybe they get a lot of questions about the meaning of the company's name. Wait until you get hundreds of folks asking about the meaning of "Pyehac" (hoping you are that successful, of course.)

Comment

Wow you lucky it worked. Both of my sons had colic and back in the day the doctor would tell you to leave the baby in the crib, close the door and let him cry. We were like, what you nuts or what, no can do that. But yea was weird becuase every evening like clock work they would cry for a long time and no matter what you did they would not stop. My boys are a year and half apart in age so at least we knew what happening with the second one.

Comment

Mylicon is simethicone. It breaks big gas bubbles into tiny ones and allows the bubbles to pass easily, relieving the pain that gas can cause. Simple treatment with great results.

They even use it in heating systems---throw it into fuel, to break up big air pockets that are interfering with the proper delivery of the fuel. Just a bit of rather useless trivia I learned because I am married to someone who used to be in the heating oil business---a rather useless profession here...

My sister's Italian MIL suggested a treatment of chamomile tea when her oldest had colic---worked like a charm, too.

Comment

Original quote:
                        NOTE: It's been estimated that up to 25% of all infants have colic.

PLEEEEZE! I'm still waiting for my 18-year-old, first-born son to STOP being COLICKY!

Okay, he may have other issues.

Das' okay -- das' why God made therapists. All four of mine are prolly going to wind up paying big hourly bucks to somebody to complain about me anyways ...

(What was that Lika Nui, about taking "your inner child and kick its little ...?)

I got a million of 'em.

Seriously -- Auntie -- Mylicon (aha! I'd forgotten about that! Was good -- but I did get the Dr's okay first).

One of the things I used to do was to try and rock baby to sleep using the "colic hold." I'm gonna Google now.

Gee whiz -- get ALL KINE resources on colic! I wish I'd had the Internet when mine were babies!

First -- a PHOTO of a MOT (mother of twins) featuring the colic hold (the baby in the foreground):
                        http://www.thebabywearer.com/articles/HowToO/Twins.htm

The colic hold - a description:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...55/ai_19051851
                        Swaddling. In many cultures, gentle swaddling has been used as an adjunctive therapy for infant crying. It has been postulated that snugly wrapping an infant in a blanket may mimic the in utero environment and decrease infant anxiety. Although this theory is entirely conjectural, swaddling is benign, is easily accomplished and may soothe some infants.

Holding Positions That Apply Abdominal Pressure. Some investigators advocate gentle application of pressure to the abdomen as a remedy for colic. Abdominal pressure can be applied with the infant in a variety of holding positions.[21] For example, the infant can be laid over the knees or shoulder of the parent or other caregiver (Figures 3 and 4),[21] The infant may also be soothed by the colic hold, in which the infant is held on the forearm with the head resting at the bend of the elbow (Figure 5),[21] Another potentially soothing position is achieved with the reverse colic hold, which involves placing the infant over the ventral aspect of the arm with the chin supported by the hand of the parent or other caregiver (Figure 6).[21]

(There's more, too.)

http://www.medela.com/Newfiles/faq/colic.html
                        Talking to other new parents at a La Leche League meeting or a mother’s support group can be invaluable.
                        Research has identified some possible causes for colic. One common cause is lactose overload from switching breasts before baby gets to the high fat milk. If baby is often fussy, try offering one breast at each feeding. Sometimes colic can be caused by an sensitivity to a food in mom’s diet. Rarely, babies can be allergic to a food that mother has eaten, and which may appear in minute quantities in her milk. If baby is crying due to food sensitivity, fussing will begin within a few hours of eating the offending food and may last up to 24 hours. If you can avoid the food that causes the crying, baby’s symptoms should cease within 3-7 days. The most common allergy-causing foods are cow’s milk, eggs, wheat, and peanuts. If you decide to wean to formula, it would be wise to pump frequently for 3-4 weeks so you have the option of resuming breastfeeding if baby's colic worsens. It can take this long for a formula allergy to become apparent."

Infant colic is one of the most difficult things a parent can go through. It is temporary, however, and with time, patience, help and support, it can be lessened. Recommended reading: "The Fussy Baby" by Dr. William Sears ( www.lalecheleague.org)

http://www.babiesonline.com/articles...icremedies.asp
                        #6 Motion - Walking, rocking and movement are very comforting to most infants. The good old rocking chair may be all it takes. Some parents have been known to push stroller or drive around in car until baby falls asleep. Try putting baby in an infant chest carrier or sling so that your hands can be free. Walk with baby facing down across arm with hand under abdomen, applying gentle pressure. This position is often referred to as “the colic hold”. Many babies like to be outdoors. Almost all babies love swings. Try a combination of the above to see what helps soothe baby the best.
                        About the Author: After experiencing colic firsthand, it fast became this mother and educators mission to conduct extensive research on colic towards finding a solution. This article outlines some useful techniques including music, motion, swaddling, gripe water, and diet.
                        Other articles:
                        http://www.babiesonline.com/articles...reforcolic.asp
                        http://www.babiesonline.com/articles...eringcolic.asp
                        http://www.babiesonline.com/articles...pawaycolic.asp

I hope one or more of those things helps. If not -- you know the old saying ... bumbye pau!
                        I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Today, just from being on HT, I have learned:

> more about the political primary election system of Hawai`i, and how it compares to other states, as well as learning that what I thought was an "open" primary is actually called a "blanket" primary;
                          > that Portuguese migrants to Hawai`i had a different "status" than other Caucasian "haole" groups, and why;
                          > of the death of a beloved Hawaiian musician, Kawai Cockett.

The day is not yet ended. This is HawaiiThreads at its best. Mahalo.

Comment

And to think people wonder why I hang out here on HT... This place is more educational than the classroom.... If you know what your looking for and are open to listening to what others have to say.

I think I learn something with every post by everyone!!!

Whether I agree or not... doesn't mean I didn't learn something.

Comment

HawaiiThreads (HT) has opened my eyes to many things.

I appreciate the hard work that the admins put into this...

People often ask... why do you allow yourself to subject yourself to some of the online criticism you get...

Well... to be fair... I give more than I get... at least I try.

People ask me... why do you bother.... because if I don't someone else will.

I learn something small and valuable from every thread I read...Most people wouldn't write something if they didn't mean it.

Comment

I’ve learned that no matter how much of a cynic you are, in an election year, politicians actually have something to teach us about ourself. And even the most naïve or deliberately ignorant to politics, begin to sit up and take notice.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                                USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X