Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Teaching in Hawaii

Originally posted by SouthKona View Post
    I for one would not trust our Hawaii DOE (nor BOE) one bit in how to arrange for "conformity" of any sort for my child. Joshuatree, respectfully asking, just how much do you know (or rather "not" know) about our Hawaii State school system?
    SouthKona, I'm well aware of the state school system, it's faults and issues. I have been on both sides of the coin when growing up and going to school. I have attended school requiring uniforms and have attended school with no uniforms. Are we that hypersensitive about the DOE/BOE establishing a uniform for "conformity"? What exactly is your fear about having them establishing a uniform? Is it the fear of good taste? Fear of cost of uniform? Fear that a uniform indicates some form of subservience for your child? Fear that your child stands out in the public after school? I like to understand more of the anti-uniform stance.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
      SouthKona, I'm well aware of the state school system, it's faults and issues. I have been on both sides of the coin when growing up and going to school. I have attended school requiring uniforms and have attended school with no uniforms. Are we that hypersensitive about the DOE/BOE establishing a uniform for "conformity"? What exactly is your fear about having them establishing a uniform? Is it the fear of good taste? Fear of cost of uniform? Fear that a uniform indicates some form of subservience for your child? Fear that your child stands out in the public after school? I like to understand more of the anti-uniform stance.
      • Actually, I am supportive of a policy for uniforms if the community (parents and students) want it.
      • Am I hypersensitive about the BOE/DOE professing the need for "conformity" ... YOU BET, conformity is a smothering mindset!
      • Am I afraid of the cost of uniforms? No, uniforms can actually be a less expensive option, if chosen with price in mind (such as tshirts instead of dress shirts, and pants that are available retail instead of only from speciality stores).
      • As for fearing "standing out" in public after school - nope, any kid old enough to be bothered by a uniform is old enough to toss a regular tshirt into their backpack for non-campus wear.
      • "Fear that a uniform indicates some form of subservience for your child?" I have no clue what you mean by that.

This is my first try at HT bullets ... they are kind of handy!

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona View Post
        • Actually, I am supportive of a policy for uniforms if the community (parents and students) want it.
        • Am I hypersensitive about the BOE/DOE professing the need for "conformity" ... YOU BET, conformity is a smothering mindset!
        • Am I afraid of the cost of uniforms? No, uniforms can actually be a less expensive option, if chosen with price in mind (such as tshirts instead of dress shirts, and pants that are available retail instead of only from speciality stores).
        • As for fearing "standing out" in public after school - nope, any kid old enough to be bothered by a uniform is old enough to toss a regular tshirt into their backpack for non-campus wear.
        • "Fear that a uniform indicates some form of subservience for your child?" I have no clue what you mean by that.

This is my first try at HT bullets ... they are kind of handy!
        Let me try the bullets.
        • Why would conformity in the form of a uniform be a smothering mindset? It's not like all of a sudden, we are telling children that they are not free to think and ask questions.
        • Personally if a uniform came about, I rather see it be a white short sleeved dress shirt than a T-shirt. And I don't see that being expensive as long as it's available retail. But I digress.
        • Last point, in some circles, it has been argued that having a child wearing a uniform is to teach them the concept of subservience and rank, like how usually low-skilled occupations wear uniforms such as fast food etc. You're not encouraged to think independently, etc etc. Personally, I think that's a lot of radical left-wing mumbo jumbo. But I thought I'd ask if that's what you would interpret.

Comment

Joshuatree, although we may have different opinions on school uniforms for the masses, I am assuming we both like HTs bullets.

Comment

Working...
          X