Science vs. Creationism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Science vs. Creationism

So Pedro, when you going move to Utah? If you go Salt Lake City, make sure you go see the visitor's center of the Mormon Church downtown. You going see with your very own eyes the story of Creation.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      So Pedro, when you going move to Utah? If you go Salt Lake City, make sure you go see the visitor's center of the Mormon Church downtown. You going see with your very own eyes the story of Creation.

Miulang
      Sometime in July, I am not really clear on the day but I am certain on it. I am moving to Layton never been there before, but I going check out Salt Lake and that place you described to me. But I have a lot of nay sayers at home(friends mostly) who think I shouldn't move up there because of their past history experience. But if I stay here because they say-so I will feel like an Idiot. It's my "LIFE"
      A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

ahhh... you going be close to Odgen and Hill AFB. For sure you going have some interesting times, because the majority of the people are Caucasian and Mormon in that part of the world. As long as you don't run around with the Pacific Islander gangs, you not going get in trouble. But most of them guys are to the South nearer to Salt Lake City, in West Valley City.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

ahhh... you going be close to Odgen and Hill AFB. For sure you going have some interesting times, because the majority of the people are Caucasian and Mormon in that part of the world. As long as you don't run around with the Pacific Islander gangs, you not going get in trouble. But most of them guys are to the South nearer to Salt Lake City, in West Valley City.

Miulang
          So these Mormon folks do they drink? If not that's Okay as long as they're nice. I don't plan be a drunk up there, I want to check out everything there and experience something new and exciting, like SNOW
          Last edited by Pedro; May 2, 2006, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro
            So these Mormon folks do they drink?
            Nobody explained to you about alcohol in Utah? They have some strange laws there. You cannot go into a bar and order a drink, unless you pay to be a member of a private "club". What you have to do if you want to drink in a bar is go to a State "package" store and buy those mini-bottles like you get on airplanes. The bars will sell you the ice and the mixer, but you have to provide the minibottles of booze and take them in with you.

When I lived there, you couldn't get regular beer, either. We had to buy "down" beer or travel up to Idaho or Wyoming or down to Nevada to buy the full strength stuff.

You can buy whole bottles of liquor in the State liquor stores, but they don't have much of a selection. They were trying to change the liquor rules for Utah in time for the Winter Olympics, but I think the only place they made an exception for liquor by the drink was in Park City, where most of the tourists hung out.

Miulang

P.S. Devout Mormons are not supposed to drink alcohol or caffeine, so I used to hang out with the "Jack" Mormons who drank both and did worse!

Comment

Nobody explained to you about alcohol in Utah? They have some strange laws there. You cannot go into a bar and order a drink, unless you pay to be a member of a private "club". What you have to do if you want to drink in a bar is go to a State "package" store and buy those mini-bottles like you get on airplanes. The bars will sell you the ice and the mixer, but you have to provide the minibottles of booze and take them in with you.

When I lived there, you couldn't get regular beer, either. We had to buy "down" beer or travel up to Idaho or Wyoming or down to Nevada to buy the full strength stuff.

You can buy whole bottles of liquor in the State liquor stores, but they don't have much of a selection. They were trying to change the liquor rules for Utah in time for the Winter Olympics, but I think the only place they made an exception for liquor by the drink was in Park City, where most of the tourists hung out.

Miulang

P.S. Devout Mormons are not supposed to drink alcohol or caffeine, so I used to hang out with the "Jack" Mormons who drank both and did worse!
              I never knew there was a regulation on beer, but if there are "Jack" Mormons up there I will find them, and be one with the Brotherhood.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                Are those the guys that all run off a cliff together, if one thinks it's a good idea?
                Ooops! It was Lemmings I was thinking of not Lemurs.

The Walt disney movie "White Wilderness" popularized the myth that Lemmings become suicidal and leap en masse off cliffs into the sea.

You can read up on them HERE

BTW: Pedro and I are just coworkers so the only interchangability is which shift we're working. HaHa!
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

ahhh but the thing thats been making the headlines in many communities across the nation should creationism be taught in you schools science class?

the big bible thumpers argue its only fair that creationism is taught along side evolutionism to give the kids a choice on what to believe....
                  WTH....
                  MY problem with that there is in no way any science of creationism that can weighed an measured unlike oh mass and velocity the biology of a frog ect.

creationism has a place but not in our science classrooms

tho some would argue the creationism shouldnt be in the schools at all due to the separation of church and state....I would argue that creationism belong being taught in sunday schools to kids whos parents choose that faith...
                  or
                  if you really Have to have it in our classrooms then it should be taught as a Comparitive religions class to kids to teach them the diversity of our country in classrooms that will explore all religons. we are too diverse a country to have one mans version of their religion shoved down our kids necks...it is a disgrace.

oh BTW if I have offended any christians out there...I do apologize but keep it in our churches not in our public classrooms....
                  Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

Ooops! It was Lemmings I was thinking of not Lemurs.

The Walt disney movie "White Wilderness" popularized the myth that Lemmings become suicidal and leap en masse off cliffs into the sea.

You can read up on them HERE

BTW: Pedro and I are just coworkers so the only interchangability is which shift we're working. HaHa!

So these Lemmings are real creatures I thought that they were just made up annoying video game characters that love to follow each other off the cliff.

Comment

Originally posted by kaneohegirl
                      1) MY problem with that there is in no way any science of creationism that can weighed an measured unlike oh mass and velocity the biology of a frog ect.

2) creationism has a place but not in our science classrooms

3) If you really Have to have it in our classrooms then it should be taught as a Comparitive religions class to kids to teach them the diversity of our country in classrooms that will explore all religons.

1) Depending upon one's opinion or leaning, there could be found mistakes / inaccuracies / unreliablity / unfathomable truth, in either the theory of Creationism or the theory of science. They are both theories and each person decides what seems to make more sense to them.

2) I politely disagree. I feel both, along with all theories of thought should be taught in our schools.

3) A comprehensive Comparitive Religions class is a great idea!

Life is learning, forming opinions, and then living by them.

Comment

A comprehensive Comparitive Religions class is a great idea!
                        Ah yes - I remember taking some in the 60s/70s; taught me a lot about how other people developed their belief systems, and why mine isn't necessarily "right."

Under the present administration/legislature/government? It ain't gonna happen. You just try teaching kids anything to help them understand, say --- oh, I dunno --- Islam, perhaps? Pack your bags for Gitmo, you terrorist sympathizer. That'll help you remember who's the "decider" for this country, now.

Comment

2) I politely disagree. I feel both, along with all theories of thought should be taught in our schools.

ahhh but does it belong in a Science classroom? that was my specific statement.

I mean when our kids should be being taught earth science, biology, chemistry, is there really enough time to teach all the religious aspects to each type of philosophy?

sci·ence (sns)
                          n.
                          1. The observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena.
                          2. Such activities restricted to explaining a limitied class of natural phenomena.
                          3. Such activities applied to an object of inquiry or study.
                          4. Knowledge, especially that gained through experience.
                          Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

1) Depending upon one's opinion or leaning, there could be found mistakes / inaccuracies / unreliablity / unfathomable truth, in either the theory of Creationism or the theory of science. They are both theories and each person decides what seems to make more sense to them.

3) A comprehensive Comparitive Religions class is a great idea!

Life is learning, forming opinions, and then living by them.
                            Clearly you do not understand what the term "theory" means in science.
                            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by kaneohegirl
                              ahhh but the thing thats been making the headlines in many communities across the nation should creationism be taught in you schools science class?...creationism has a place but not in our science classrooms
                              Agreed. Creationism is religious belief, not theory. "Intelligent design" is the attempt to make Creationism appear to be a theory. Creationism can not be submitted to the scientific processes used to evaluate theories.

Not saying Creationism is "wrong" or should not be taught at all; just agreeing that the public school science classroom is not the place for it. Whatever happened to Sunday schools at churches?

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
                                Clearly you do not understand what the term "theory" means in science.
                                One of many things being taught in Science Classes is that Mankind evolved from Apes. This is taught as fact though there is no proof. There are many other examples of what science states as fact, without adequate 'scientific' proof. Doesn't that make those theories or beliefs?
                                Last edited by Menehune Man; May 3, 2006, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X