School Cafeteria Memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: School Cafeteria Memories

Heh, when I was at UH, the saying was that "SAGA" stood for "Soviet Attempts to Gag Americans". Huh, I guess that sort of dates when I was in college.

Comment

I used to bring Hershey's syrup in a little plastic container so I could turn my milk into chocolate milk. I also often brought my own "travel" combination salt-pepper shaker. Hey, if I had to eat it, I was going to make it taste as good as I could! (Or at least disguise the taste as much as I could.)

I agree, the spaghetti was never all that bad. I actually ate the applesauce. Tater tots were always a hit. Occasionally we'd get 'tater skins' with some kind of reconstituted meat and cheese in it, and that was okay, too. Most things were tolerable... as long as you didn't think about it too much!

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
        Oh, and this HOT Chaminade student named Carla. What an exotic beauty. She used to come in wearing those super high Dove shorts (remember those?) that made all us high school guys drool.
        Ahhh, Dove shorts.

Comment

I digged working cafe in intermidiate, it took up a whole period and you'd get a free lunch .

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
            Ahhh, Dove shorts.
            What Glen said. God those where great shorts!
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Don't know about Dove shorts, but the girls used to wear mini skirts so short they used to wear flourescent bikini bottoms instead of regular underwear. Used to drop something off our plates just for an excuse to have to bend down and get a cheap thrill. Sometimes we got lucky if.....nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye
                Don't know about Dove shorts, but the girls used to wear mini skirts so short they used to wear flourescent bikini bottoms instead of regular underwear. Used to drop something off our plates just for an excuse to have to bend down and get a cheap thrill. Sometimes we got lucky if.....nevermind.
                That never happened at Waialua...back then we had a dress code. Shoes, no pants for girls, hemlines lower than arms at your side, no spaghetti straps, No garish make-up or jewelry, no long hair for the boys......I forget all da rest. I remeber Mike and Pat Boe, these cutie-pie haole twins, with their hair just at the limit...they were so proud of their hair. Well, one day, one of em mouthed off to the Dad (I forget which one, they were identical twins), and the Dad wen shave off alla da hair, and THEN you could tell em apart. There was dis one girl who never wen wear a bra...Donna Osbourne...I'll never forget her, a hippygirl, from da North Shore. I guess that dresscodes went out of style...or PCness. Anyone remember dresscodes?
                http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

I was pretty picky, so often lunch would be an ice cream sandwich. What the heck, a friend and I played chess all lunch hour anyway.

We had rules about Beatle haircuts (you ever look at that first "Meet the Beatles" cover? Full hair, but just to the top of the ear!) and Beatle boots for the guys. None of that stuff for us. This was 1964-1968 in NoVa.
                  http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I went to Lincoln Elementry from 1965 till 1971. I remember it as the best cafeteria food.

Lasagna
                    Spaghetti with Meatballs.
                    Baked Macaroni
                    Hamburger
                    Beef Stew with BEEF!
                    Chicken Ala King
                    Chili Frank
                    and we had fresh buns too.

and all for a QUARTER! eat 2 meals no feel shame!

the only thing I didn't like is the mixed green cooked veggies from the can.

Comment

Every time we had chili for lunch, my Mom would make chili for dinner. Coincidence.
                      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

My favorite cafeteria food was definately Tater Tots! yum could never get enough of those!

The smoke bomb story reminded me of another bomb...In middle school, the whole grade had to line up in this big hallway for maybe 10 minutes before the teachers let us into the cafeteria. All 200+ of us. One day some joker decides to set off a stink bomb while we waiting! I remember being stuck in teh middle of the hall with o where to go...and surrounded by 200 other kids. P u!

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
                          Every time we had chili for lunch, my Mom would make chili for dinner. Coincidence.

I think not Mom's are psychic plain and simple

Comment

Yeah me and my friends would always volunteer when the oppurtunity came up at Kahalu'u Elem. Just work at the cafe all day, no class . Then the ice cream at the end ... I wish I could be just as content back then than I am today. I liked the shortbread cookies too.

Originally posted by kaneohegirl
                            working in da cafeteria.... das da best memories for me starting in 4th grade at Puuhale elem in Kalihi anden in 6th at Puahala in Kaneohe those were the best. the food sucked but you got outta class for go to work in the cafeteria an aftah pau clean up you got to have special treat like Ice cake or extra dessert...

Comment

Who can forget those light green plastic cafeteria trays. Man, how LOUD those things are when they go crashing on the ground, echoing even louder on those bare concrete floors.

Remember when someone would drop their tray full of food... 'den all da' keedz would jump up, look who it was then point and yell, "HANA-KOKO-LE-LE!".

We actually have a set at home that we found in a thrift shop real cheap that we use for serving Hawaiian Food.

Speaking of cafeteria dishware, I heard King Intermediate's cafeteria in Kaneohe is haunted. If you go there at night, you can hear the forks and knives clanging, as if someone's washing them. Something about the school being built on ancient burial grounds.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

why would ancient souls want to wash dishes? I think it's the rats climbing over all the utensils.

Comment

Working...
                                X