Private school tuition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Private school tuition

--But a lot of the times, public schools offer the same services that private schools do, it's just a matter of taking advantage of them.--
    When the one and only bus or other ride home leaves soon after last period, it's hard to take advantage of public schools' after-regular-classes' activities, clubs, sports, even just a single longer than a dozen seconds one-on-one with the teacher,, or, longer than a lunch break with an aquaintance or even most, if not virtually all, classmates.
    There is a public bus-- after all, it's only a dollar. But I mean, seriously, I go to a public school and it's not that hard to take advantage of the things they offer. And ALL of my teachers, when I ask them, give me a great deal of help, whether it be before, after, or during school. JCHS also offers tutoring and Saturday School (which isn't always a form of punishment). A lot of clubs meet during lunch but also have activities on weekends, etc.-- and if you can't make time for this in a public school, you wouldn't be able to in a private school either. I've even had a couple teachers who were really good about giving me rides home if I was stranded (granted I do have to have my parents sign something).

--I'm just saying that you learn to be self sufficient in a public school.--
    Middle school and high school boarders are non-existent in public schools. Students who live 24/7 with their peers get to be pretty independent compared to peers who live lives exclusively at the home of their parents. In either case someone else is paying the bills, and "self-sufficiency" is, with very rare exception, necessarily not to be used in economic context.
    Blah blah, I'm referring mostly to students that don't board (public or private). Wrong word, don't jump? I'm basically saying that in school with a sink or swim mentality, you learn very quickly to swim. It's just a quality that you're going to need, esp. in college. Although, private schools probably do a better job preparing students for the classes-- so do AP classes at, say, my school. It's just a matter of signing up for it.

-- I wish all the politicians put their kids in public schools-- I bet they'd pay a little more attention to them.--
    Pay more attention to their kids? public schools? both?
    Why, both of course!

I mean, either way, I don't have anything against private schools. Yay private. But public school, if the student is efficient, can pump out the same results. My parents gave me the option of public or private-- I chose public, on the grounds that I keep my grades up. I figure this makes MY life a lot easier-- it's in my neighborhood, so the commute doesn't take away from study time, ALL my classmates live within a matter of minutes if I need help, and even though some of my classes are big, my teachers manage to handle it fairly well.

But of course there are it's negatives. We don't get top-of-the line equipment, somethings always breaking, there may be fights, drugs, cutters, etc. (I refuse to believe this doesn't go in private schools, probably not as much though).

It doesn't phase me, but I do understand it's not for everyone. Nothing is.

But the option should not be dismissed by parents just because they have an elitist attitude.
    It's magic, you know.

Comment

Originally posted by jessicat
      It doesn't phase me
      Because you are a student, and I'm sure eager to learn, I'll point out your typo:
      faze = deter
      phase = segment

Comment

Why, thank you kindly, sir (ma'am?).
        It's magic, you know.

Comment

we live in a free country and we have many choices such as what kind of school to send our kids to. some may want a school with religious instruction and some may not. public schools have a tough road cuz they have to take all comers, but the kids get a student body with diversity. private schools have an emphasis on college and arrange college tour trips for their students. private schools uisually have clean bathrooms, when i went to public school we didn't have toilet paper and you were afraid of getting hijacked by the smokers cutting classes and hiding out in the bathroom. a good student will make it in a public or private setting. its the kids that fall behind that really need some sort of specialized school, smaller classes or more attention.

Comment

Private School Reputations: I read somewhere about 3 established historical private schools.

One was about 99% Hawaiian <----- Not sure, son not a Hapa so doesn't matter
            Another was about 95% Asia <---- Iolani?
            The other was mostly Caucasian <--- Punahou?

So then for a half Caucasian/Half Taiwanese child, I suppose the only choice would be Punahou or maybe Iolani?

Is there some racial diversity there? I wouldn't want my kid to go to a school like the first or second and if Punahou is 90%+ Caucasian, not sure if that is such a great idea either.

Anyway, is Punahou one of the best in Oahu? My son will only just be entering elementary school. The tuition is not a concern, I just want the best possible environment and education and facilities for me boy.

Any advice would be appreciated.
            Last edited by Hobart; September 29, 2006, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Jesus, do some research. Your information is heavily stereotyped.

Kamehameha Schools
              ʻIolani School
              Punahou School

Comment

Hobart...did you read this... or hear this?

You do know that Michelle Wie attends Punahou and shes not caucasian

Graphs like this need to be validated by some sort of a source or something...
                I often doubt reading things that say...... "I read somewhere"...w/out a URL...

Oh and I heard that all the kids that went to St. Patrick private school in Kaimuki were Irish

Comment

Originally posted by Hobart
                  Private School Reputations: I read somewhere about 3 established historical private schools.

One was about 99% Hawaiian <----- Not sure, son not a Hapa so doesn't matter
                  Another was about 95% Asia <---- Iolani?
                  The other was mostly Caucasian <--- Punahou?

So then for a half Caucasian/Half Taiwanese child, I suppose the only choice would be Punahou or maybe Iolani?

Is there some racial diversity there? I wouldn't want my kid to go to a school like the first or second and if Punahou is 90%+ Caucasian, not sure if that is such a great idea either.

Anyway, is Punahou one of the best in Oahu? My son will only just be entering elementary school. The tuition is not a concern, I just want the best possible environment and education and facilities for me boy.

Any advice would be appreciated.
                  I can assure you that Punahou is not 90% Caucasian. Probably more like 30%. The largest single ethnic group is Japanese-American.

Punahou is a great school. Top-notch facilities and faculty.

Comment

So what about Iolani?

Comment

Oh, and your son, as a hapa, will be one of many at Punahou.

Comment

Originally posted by Supercub
                        Oh, and your son, as a hapa, will be one of many at Punahou.
                        That is one of the reasons we will move to Hawaii, because of all of the Eurasian people there my son will feel normal and not out of the ordinary in Hawaii. Here in Taiwan there is only one race, Taiwanese, anyone else is an outsider, that includes Eurasians. I was reading some Eurasian websites and they said growing up in Hawaii they never even thought about their ethnicity, but as soon as they started University in California, so many people commented each day on how attractive they were and asked their ethnicity.

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                        Jesus, do some research. Your information is heavily stereotyped.
                        I seems the information I read was not too far off. Kamehameha is 100% Hawaiian. As for Punahou and Iolani, it seems it was kind of wrong. Iolani is only 80% Asian and Punahou is only 67% Asian. Seems like Punahou is the most diverse, but Iolani is not an Asian only school.

Source http://www.privateschoolreview.com/c...I/county/15003

Comment

Originally posted by Hobart
                          I seems the information I read was not too far off. Kamehameha is 100% Hawaiian. As for Punahou and Iolani, it seems it was kind of wrong. Iolani is only 80% Asian and Punahou is only 67% Asian. Seems like Punahou is the most diverse, but Iolani is not an Asian only school.

Source http://www.privateschoolreview.com/c...I/county/15003
                          You got it figured out Hobart.

Kamehameha is the most ethnically diverse school in Hawaii and probably the world. (Name one more diverse somebody) But you gotta be part Hawaiian so not an option.

Punahou was described as mostly Haole because that's what it used to be. Then the Asians decided they didn't actually hate Punahou after all and many decided that they wanted to go there and now it is a school that reflects Hawaii's diversity fairly well.

Iolani is completely lacking in diversity. In modern Hawaii terms, Iolani is a sad example. It's been a mostly Asian school for many decades. While very successful in terms of academics, athletics etc., it’s a shameful as it exists within modern Hawaii's racial mosaic.

Funny how when Punahou was an all Haole school, everybody else complained. Since Kamehameha is an all "Hawaiian" school, everbody continues to complain. Anyone of any significant age who is born and raised in Hawaii knows what I mean here.

But Iolani being a mostly Asian school? No problem. Never heard a single complaint about that one.

Funny kine No?

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
                            You got it figured out Hobart.

Kamehameha is the most ethnically diverse school in Hawaii and probably the world. (Name one more diverse somebody) But you gotta be part Hawaiian so not an option.
                            The most ethnically diverse school won't admit you, because you don't have a particular ethnicity represented in your gene pool. Hmm...

Comment

Originally posted by Supercub View Post
                              The most ethnically diverse school won't admit you, because you don't have a particular ethnicity represented in your gene pool. Hmm...
                              It is an interesting thought,........., but it's still true.

Comment

Oh, and clumping all Asians together seems a bit simple. There's such a mix. Multi-generational Japanese, recently arrived Japanese, multi-generational Chinese, recently arrived Chinese, recently arrived Korean, multi-generational Filipino, recently-arrived Filipino, and so on.

One kid might speak Japanese at home and have lived in Japan half his life. Another kid may never have spoken a word of Japanese outside of "musubi" and never set foot on Japanese soil (nor his parents). Both those kids would be called Japanese.

Now how about a multi-generational Japanese kid and a kid of Korean immigrants?

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
                                It is an interesting thought,........., but it's still true.

Fair enough. I just wanted to throw it out there.

Comment

Working...
                                X