Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Private school tuition

Originally posted by Supercub View Post
    Oh, and clumping all Asians together seems a bit simple. There's such a mix. Multi-generational Japanese, recently arrived Japanese, multi-generational Chinese, recently arrived Chinese, recently arrived Korean, multi-generational Filipino, recently-arrived Filipino, and so on.

One kid might speak Japanese at home and have lived in Japan half his life. Another kid may never have spoken a word of Japanese outside of "musubi" and never set foot on Japanese soil (nor his parents). Both those kids would be called Japanese.

Now how about a multi-generational Japanese kid and a kid of Korean immigrants?
    You mean in life or as it relates to Iolani?

From what I've seen, Iolani's 80% Asians are mostly Asians born in Hawaii and the United States.
    I know they have a pretty large international representation as well but compared to Hawaii's ethnic diversity they are still lacking. Saying Iolani has diversity is like saying Punahou in 1925 was diverse.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
      You mean in life or as it relates to Iolani?

From what I've seen, Iolani's 80% Asians are mostly Asians born in Hawaii and the United States.
      I know they have a pretty large international representation as well but compared to Hawaii's ethnic diversity they are still lacking. Saying Iolani has diversity is like saying Punahou in 1925 was diverse.
      I mean in life and possibly at Iolani as well (I don't know the school very well). My point is that there is a lot of diversity within the label "Asian."

Comment

Academically is Punahou lacking when compared to Iolani? I mean in terms of the teachers and academic resources and the rigor of its program.

By the way, are either of these high schools any good compared to the famous private day and boarding schools in the East Coast? I was planning to only send my children there until they entered Junior high then I would move to the East Coast for them to finish up their schooling. I would prefer to stay in Hawaii, but if I am going to pay that much money, then I would rather pay a little more and try to get them into some of the best private day schools in Manhatten, DC or Boston or one of those famous boarding/day schools like Andover, Choate and Exeter. If Punahou or Iolani are anything close to these, I would just stay in Hawaii, any comments? I mean do these schools regularly send kids to the Ivy League Universities?

Comment

Originally posted by Hobart View Post
          Academically is Punahou lacking when compared to Iolani? I mean in terms of the teachers and academic resources and the rigor of its program.

By the way, are either of these high schools any good compared to the famous private day and boarding schools in the East Coast? I was planning to only send my children there until they entered Junior high then I would move to the East Coast for them to finish up their schooling. I would prefer to stay in Hawaii, but if I am going to pay that much money, then I would rather pay a little more and try to get them into some of the best private day schools in Manhatten, DC or Boston or one of those famous boarding/day schools like Andover, Choate and Exeter. If Punahou or Iolani are anything close to these, I would just stay in Hawaii, any comments? I mean do these schools regularly send kids to the Ivy League Universities?
          Wow. I don't even know where to start with this. Just, wow.

Comment

From what I have seen...

A lot of the kids that graduate from the Private schools do go onto attend a lot of the so called "better" colleges on the mainland, not necessarily Ivy League...

However, for many of the private school students that I have personally talked to... it's also considered an insult to attend Univ. of Hawaii... simply because their High School Education was more expensive then UH.

I call it a spoiled brat syndrome.... often these kids do get sent off to the mainland schools and then realize that many mainland public schools are just as good if not better than many of the private schools in Hawaii....and they become this strange looking asian child in a world away from Hawaii...... suffering through basic English 101.

Many become homesick... cannot acclimate to weather, culture, island life style, foods, etc.... and do not succeed. Many then return to Hawaii to live with there parents and finally decide that an education in Hawaii is at least better than no education at all.

Comment

Ok, I'll give this a go. Probably no use though.

Here's my educational pedigree:

1. Graduated from famous and elite East Coast private school.
              2. Graduated from not too famous but elite and highly selective liberal arts college.
              3. Graduated from Ivy League graduate school.
              4. Faculty member at private school in Hawaii.

Based on these experiences, I can tell you that I'd love to send my child to a school like Punahou and a good liberal arts college. My child would receive an excellent education and mature in a supportive and stimulating environment. It would be an amazing gift to my child.

I can also say that an education at a top East Coast prep school would be an excellent education. However, they would attend a school far less diverse than Punahou (both ethnically and economically), and you at least pretend to value this.

Four years of undergrad at an Ivy League school is not necessarily an excellent education. The primary mission of those schools is NOT teaching undergrads. The emphasis is on scholarship and research.

I'm not sure what you envision an Ivy League school will do for your child. I suppose it grabs some attention and opens some doors, but what exactly is the end goal of your child's education?

I personally find what you wrote above really silly. I don't think you are doing your child any service by prioritizing these kind of values.
              Last edited by Supercub; September 30, 2006, 11:02 PM.

Comment

But Iolani being a mostly Asian school? No problem. Never heard a single complaint about that one. Funny kine No?
                Nah, not surprising at all. The key word of course being mostly. It’s the all that’s funny kine. Hey, can’t help it if Asians are intelligent and rise to the top based on their intellectual superiority. Just using your argument of course. Personally, I agree with KSBE policy. In the world of survival of the fittest, you gotta pool your resources.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                  Hey, can’t help it if Asians are intelligent and rise to the top based on their intellectual superiority.
                  Nice to see that you're an open racist TuNnL.

Isn't that what Hitler and the Nazi's thought as well?

I respect the fact that you are at least honest about your racism.

This whole "where you went to school" thing is hilarious. Some of the smartest kids around today are home schooled. Abraham Lincoln didn't attend much in the way of formal education. Einstein was a C student.

Most of the desire of a parent to attend the "elite" schools is based upon the parent's insecurity and even ignorance in the expectation that it actually produces a better result.

I attended one of the top public universities in the country where I met some of the dumbest, laziest, mind numbing, mnemonic memorizing people around.

Some of the smartest people I know are public high school educated surfers and paddlers.

Have fun driving your kids into achieving for you and your own goals. It will backfire eventually.

Here's my educational pedigree:

1. Graduated from famous and elite East Coast private school.
                  2. Graduated from not too famous but elite and highly selective liberal arts college.
                  3. Graduated from Ivy League graduate school.
                  4. Faculty member at private school in Hawaii.

One of the eggheads has to do a study on this. Why is it that the more "educated" one is and especially when it occurs at an "elite" school, the more likely that that student will end up in academics.

Those who can, do
                  Those who cannot, teach
                  And those who cannot teach, teach PE.

Or how about the one;

The people who got B's in college will end up working for the people who got C's. The people who got A's will go into academics ro research.

So True, No?

Comment

I can also say that an education at a top East Coast prep school would be an excellent education. However, they would attend a school far less diverse than Punahou (both ethnically and economically), and you at least pretend to value this.

Four years of undergrad at an Ivy League school is not necessarily an excellent education. The primary mission of those schools is NOT teaching undergrads. The emphasis is on scholarship and research.

I'm not sure what you envision an Ivy League school will do for your child. I suppose it grabs some attention and opens some doors, but what exactly is the end goal of your child's education?
                    Kids graduating from Ivy League colleges TEND to command higher starting salaries when they become professionals (by about $10-20k/year). They also have the advantage of being part of an extended network of alums that most non Ivy League colleges can't match in terms of influence. I also know (from a prodigal friend's experience at Harvard) that kids who attend Ivy League colleges are given more chances to succeed than kids who attend public colleges. My friend got into Harvard because his Dad graduated from Harvard and was a scout for the Harvard varsity football team. He spent most of his time (the first time around) being the life of the party and paid little attention to his studies. Instead of being kicked out, he was asked to "stop out to reevaluate his priorities" for a year and then came back and got his degree. If he had attended a public university, he would have flunked out and that would have been the end of it. He didn't do much with his Harvard degree: he was (and still is) an entrepreneur who is living for his dreams but has little financial security to show for it.

I attended a highly selective private college for 2 years and then transferred to a very large state university for the last 2 years because my financial aid ran out. Attended a large state university for my Masters degree. From my own experience, I can also tell you that they pay more attention to you in a private college (principally because the class sizes are smaller to begin with), but the educational opportunities are available in either setting; it all depends on how the student utilizes his/her time.

Miulang

P.S. In Hawai'i, it probably makes sense to send kids to private schools if the family can afford it because of the dismal record of the Hawai'i public school system, but to send a kid away to an Andover or Hebron Academy or comparable institution (and have them board at the school) seems punitive: I always think of boarding school as a way for parents to disengage from the responsibilities of being parents by paying lots of money to let somebody else do that job for them.
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
                      One of the eggheads has to do a study on this. Why is it that the more "educated" one is and especially when it occurs at an "elite" school, the more likely that that student will end up in academics.

Those who can, do
                      Those who cannot, teach
                      And those who cannot teach, teach PE.

Or how about the one;

The people who got B's in college will end up working for the people who got C's. The people who got A's will go into academics ro research.

So True, No?
                      I'm not sure what you're getting at here. There is plenty of "doing" in teaching. PE teachers are often excellent educators.

The management of Fortune 500 companies, for example, is undoubtedly comprised of people who got C's, B's, and A's in college. Probably, most of them got more A's than C's, but college performance is only a partial determinant of future success.

Also, in terms of salaries, I would assume that an entry-level investment banker at Morgan Stanley would get roughly the same salary, whether he/she attended Pomona or Princeton.
                      Last edited by Supercub; October 1, 2006, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Nice to see that you're an open racist TuNnL. Isn't that what Hitler and the Nazi's thought as well? I respect the fact that you are at least honest about your racism.
                        Nice to see you took the bait on that one, kamuela. I knew you would quote me out of context.

The point I was trying to make is that at Punahou and ‘Iolani, the brainier ones have earned a spot at these schools from the entire pool. At Kamehameha, you’ll never know. ‘100 percent’ guarantees it. Maopopo?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                        USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea
                          This whole "where you went to school" thing is hilarious. Have fun driving your kids into achieving for you and your own goals. It will backfire eventually.
                          I stayed outta this thread cause I went to Public School as did my children. However, Kamuelakea's comment above caught my eye.

I had to laugh and then felt sad at the same time. For many years, my children were looked down upon by my own Ohana because we were the Poorest. We lived a different Lifestyle and in a poor neighborhood. Although the years were a struggle they never lost hope on their dreams. They all made it. No Private Schools. Just sheer determination and heart to succeed in Life.

Some of my realtives who own homes, drive expensive cars and have materialistic things in Life go to sleep crying over their children. Children who went to Private Schools. Who had everything. Spoiled to the MAX. Now, only give their parents heartaches.

One in particular asked my MAMA what went wrong. "Lynn had nothing while I had everything...yet, her children all came out excellent." It doesn't matter whether one goes to Private or Public Schools for an Education. Learning starts within the home. All the extras is worthless if you can't spend quality time with your children.

Just my Opinion.

Still a Poor Mother but Richer than Many!
                          Last edited by 1stwahine; October 1, 2006, 12:52 PM.
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                            Some of my realtives who own homes, drive expensive cars and have materialistic things in Life go to sleep crying over their children. Children who went to Private Schools. Who had everything. Spoiled to the MAX. Now, only give their parents heartaches.
                            Hi Auntie and AMEN.

I have the same story in my family. I'm not going to repeat the details cuz if I did it would sound contrived. 2 Families, one with little (us), the other with everything discussed on this thread and more. My family has got its share of problems but the "rich, private school, Waialae CC" ones are a complete mess.

Kids gotta grow up learning to fight a little. They gotta struggle. They need to get knocked down a few times. They need to know that the name of the school on their diploma won't get them anything by itself.

Life is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.

I've always believed that private high school in Hawaii was as much a liability as an asset.

Comment

Hi Auntie and AMEN.

I have the same story in my family. I'm not going to repeat the details cuz if I did it would sound contrived. 2 Families, one with little (us), the other with everything discussed on this thread and more. My family has got its share of problems but the "rich, private school, Waialae CC" ones are a complete mess.

Kids gotta grow up learning to fight a little. They gotta struggle. They need to get knocked down a few times. They need to know that the name of the school on their diploma won't get them anything by itself.

Life is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.

I've always believed that private high school in Hawaii was as much a liability as an asset.
                              I'm pretty sure Auntie is saying this:

Schooling is just one part of the upbringing of a child. An even more important part of the upbringing are lessons taught at home.

So you can have good and successful people who went to public schools.
                              You can have good and successful people who went to private schools.

You can have messed-up people who went to public schools.
                              You can have messed-up people who went to private schools.

This makes perfect sense to me and corresponds to my experiences.

What you (kamuelakea) seem to be saying is this:

People who went to private schools are spoiled brats and can't deal with "the real world."

See how those things are different?

Comment

Remember that private school students are not randomly selected. Parents choose to send their kids to private schools, for many different reasons -- academic, ethnic, social status, whatever.

But I do think it's fair to say that while not all private school kids are spoiled brats, there are probably more spoiled brats in private schools, percentage-wise, than in public schools -- first, because private school parents are generally wealthier and therefore better equipped to spoil their kids, and second, because parents who are going to spoil their kids are probably going to be more likely to want to send them to private schools too.
                                Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; October 2, 2006, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X