BOE fires charter schools’ Jim Shon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BOE fires charter schools’ Jim Shon

My being employed by the DoE somewhat recently, perhaps someone could be so kind as to provide some links, or words, to what it is that differentiates BoE from DoE, if indeed there is a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by waioli kai
      My being employed by the DoE somewhat recently, perhaps someone could be so kind as to provide some links, or words, to what it is that differentiates BoE from DoE, if indeed there is a difference.
      The BOE is the "Board of Education". The DOE is the "Department of Education". Basically, just figure that the BOE is the "Boss".

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona
        The BOE is the "Board of Education". The DOE is the "Department of Education". Basically, just figure that the BOE is the "Boss".
        southkona is correct with the acronyms... however I wouldn't say the BOE is the boss...
        I would say they split the money up and decide where the funds go... The LEGISLATURES are the BIG BOSSES as they are the ones that decide just how much the DOE will get. http://doe.k12.hi.us/

Waioli Kai - By the way... good luck with your new job and I wish you the best.

Their is a whole set of posts set up under the "Classroom" section of HawaiiThreads that you may get some answers from.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
          southkona is correct with the acronyms... however I wouldn't say the BOE is the boss...
          I would say they split the money up and decide where the funds go... The LEGISLATURES are the BIG BOSSES as they are the ones that decide just how much the DOE will get. http://doe.k12.hi.us/
          The BOE has "control", they set policy. They are the "boss" of the DOE. Yes, the "Big Bosses" are the legislature and Governor. But, if you are looking for change within the educational system, it will come from the BOE (not DOE).

The REALLY Big Boss is the federal U.S. Department of Education, as it oversees if the states are following federal law regarding schools, and lack of compliance can affect a state's federal funding.

http://www.boe.k12.hi.us/

The Hawaii State Board of Education has a dual mission: (1) to set education policies for the public school system, adopt student performance standards and the means to assess them, and monitor school success in order to enable all public school students to acquire the knowledge, skills, respect for learning and attributes necessary for life-long learning and productive and responsible citizenship, and (2) to set policies and standards for the public library system and monitor progress toward their attainment in order to enable the public libraries to provide all people with the products and services necessary for literacy and life-long learning.

So, with all these "Bosses" around to keep watch, how come the DOE is so badly run???

Comment

Since were talking BOE... Why is it that there is a standing member that is elected by their constitutes but still doesn't have voting power? This is like a farce board then... an elected member that has no vote???? what's up with that?????

The "Student" Elected board member.... why? Control... Politics... and Power... Etc.

You would think the "Student Elected Position" that EVERY school in the state has an opportunity to view their running platform and elect a student... You would think that they would be given a vote.... However they don't.

Comment

Maybe in the election coming up, we could manage to get some different folks elected to BOE. I would love to see Karen Knudsen lose her seat because that would probably get rid of her husband also - my personal opinion is that there is potential conflict of interest when the communications director of BOE is husband to a board member. Well, she also came across as a little clueless when I had to sit in a committee meeting with her a chair.
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

There does seem to be a fairly good turnover in the BOE reps every election year... however, the STUDENT elected REP has no vote! What kind of a Board suppresses an elected member?

Each time the Elections are on for Board positions... many time their isn't even a challenger for some of the positions...
                Even, when there has been turnovers... BOE and DOE has still not accomplished what needs to be accomplished....

I don't think it's necessarily a change of Board Members... However, maybe a total break up of the board and each "District" has their own board?

Remeber when good old Lex Brodie was on the Board?
                A quick look at the board 7-9 years ago...http://www.hcc.hawaii.edu/hspls/boe.html
                Last edited by damontucker; September 12, 2006, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
                  Maybe in the election coming up, we could manage to get some different folks elected to BOE. I would love to see Karen Knudsen lose her seat because that would probably get rid of her husband also - my personal opinion is that there is potential conflict of interest when the communications director of BOE is husband to a board member. Well, she also came across as a little clueless when I had to sit in a committee meeting with her a chair.
                  Being of a "board" of anything (commissioners of county or state utilities, education, police, whatever),, they're likely 'volunteers'. What can we expect except for Conflict of Interest, being as how it IS economic "interests" that gets them in board positions of elitist value, in the first place?
                  Last edited by waioli kai; September 12, 2006, 07:46 PM.

Comment

The Board of Education is definitely NOT a "volunteer" position - except they are probably paid next to nothing. They have to be elected to the board - which means campaigning or lots of name recognition. and then we get to vote on them at the polls.
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

The Board of Education is definitely NOT a "volunteer" position - except they are probably paid next to nothing. They have to be elected to the board - which means campaigning or lots of name recognition. and then we get to vote on them at the polls.
                      Being "paid next to nothing" is not volunteer work? Even so, then just what is their pay, perks, health and retirement benefits that would entice someone to want to be on the BoE?
                      Last edited by waioli kai; September 12, 2006, 09:10 PM.

Comment

anapuni... the board members receive no monetary compensation for their duties... legally...

now, what happens under the table??? sheesh, it's hawaii and it's politically related...

Manoa shuts up now!

Comment

This is really an eye-opening revelation. I should attend more board meetings. I was under the impression that Karen Knudsen was one of the most knowledgeable of the bunch since she’s been around so long.

I must disagree with your assessment of Greg, though. Even if there is a perceived conflict of interest, Greg is probably the best BOE communications director in the history of the board’s existence. His organization and communication skills have been invaluable in ensuring the correct information gets disseminated through the media, which is where most parents get their information. I know many state agencies that don’t function as well primarily because they don’t have a Greg on staff.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

you are kidding right tuNnL?

You didn't know? that the knudsens were related?

I thought it was public knowledge by now?

Greg is the bomb... too... he is one of the few good men in DOE!

SERIOUSLY!

Comment

You really are a moron sometimes, mānoa. Try go back and read what I wrote again s-l-ow-ly. I knew the Knudsens were related before you even knew who the hell they were.

The only thing new (for me) in anapuni’s post is that Karen Knudsen appeared “a little clueless” to her.

I know it’s your birthday and all, but don’t “overdo it.” It makes you misinterpret basic posts.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                              USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                                You really are a moron sometimes, mānoa. Try go back and read what I wrote again s-l-ow-ly. I knew the Knudsens were related before you even knew who the hell they were.

The only thing new (for me) in anapuni’s post is that Karen Knudsen appeared “a little clueless” to her.

I know it’s your birthday and all, but don’t “overdo it.” It makes you misinterpret basic posts.
                                TuNnL -

i have re-read...and please correct me if I'm wrong in assuming what I posted...

Originally Posted by anapuni808
                                Posted by TuNnL: This is really an eye-opening revelation. I should attend more board meetings. I was under the impression that Karen Knudsen was one of the most knowledgeable of the bunch since she’s been around so long.
                                I did re-read... is there something I'm missing?

Comment

Working...
                                X