X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Smell Thread

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
    STRANGE :

My dogs feet smell like Fritos...I kinda like that.
    Ha ha! Now that I think of it, that's how our dogs' paws smell, too! Could be pretzels, but definitely not Dorito's.

Another odd one I like is the smell of Play-Doh, in a "doughy-textile" kinda' way.

Also the smell of the rubbery plastic used for those vintage Japanese (Kikaida) action figures.

Gotta' love that "new car smell" as well. Especially if the upholstery is leather. Yet even something like a Nissan Sentra has a fantastic "new car smell" interior smell.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      My sniffer doesn't work anymore.
      My sense of smell has lost some of the edge compared to what it was 20 years ago.

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy View Post
      "Good" aromas I enjoy:
      "Odd" smells I enjoy:

The scent of sulphur burning
      Then you might enjoy model rocketry. During my teen years the smell of the engine exhaust was quite noticable which smells like rotten eggs, then I stopped doing after my 2nd year in college and didn't do model rocketry until 1994. When I did I sort of noticed that smell of the exhaust was gone. Figured that Estes must have changed their model rocket engines during the time I wasn't flying.

It wasn't until the late 1990's that I was flying a rocket at Kapiolani Park, when it landed this young kid picks up my rocket before I got to it and he was holding the rocket away from his body, like one would be holding smelly garbage.

He said it smells stink and I asked him what it smells like and he says "rotten eggs".

That's one of the things that hinted I'm old but I still can function.

Comment

I can't smell it but I'd probably like...
        Chestnuts roasting on an open fire.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
          In a good way or a bad way?
          well, I'm thinking more like torture, seeming as I am a respectable married woman.

pax

Comment

How about perfume, cologne and/or aftershave? Which ones do you like and dislike?

Back in the 90's I used ETERNITY for Men and DRAKKAR. "Old school". lol Then I got into Lagerfeld PHOTO.

I currently use GRAVITY Cologne spray, which is relatively cheap (about $17 on sale), but I really like it, as it matches my body chemistry, smells masculine, and most importantly, it's subtle. Not one of those elevator fumigators. lol

Also, I only wear cologne when I'm going out somewhere. Not to work.

Just a couple quick mists around the neck area. Not da' kine' undah da' arm pit, on the belly, down the back, down the crotch. You know da' kine? lol

For aftershave, I use a basic skin lotion.

My girlfriend wears GUCCI ENVY me, which also matches her body chemistry well.
            Last edited by Pomai; December 16, 2007, 01:40 PM.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

If I wear eau de parfum, I flip my hair over and mist once or twice at the base of my hairline, flip hair back over, run my fingers through it, and then wash off my hands. Less is more.

Usually though I wear fancy schmancy anti-perspirant and that suffices.

pax

Comment

I can't handle having a cologne or aftershave on. The constant smell of having something like a cologne or aftershave on would ultimately give me a nasty headache, (I get wicked bad migraines on average about once every six weeks which I handle with Fioricet), so therefore I avoid using them. In fact, all of the shaving creams I use must be unscented, because they too, with their residual scents, drive me equally batty as well.

Speaking of perfumes, colognes, and aftershaves: I'm amazed how some people have the ability to identify what brand of a perfume or cologne they are smelling with one or two whiffs of it. For me, all perfumes and colognes smell identical to me, whether they are Joy, Polo, or Pheromone.

Comment

I wear scents verrrry sparingly. Usually on special occasions. Lately it's been Juicy Couture. I tend to spray the air and walk into it. Otherwise I choke on it. That goes for any purfume. I hate when you can smell someone who's been out of the room for 10 minutes.

Comment

I LOVE the smell of windex!

When I am pregnant, my sense of smell is even more sensitive than normal so when I'm pregnant, I love the smell of windex even more and as a result, I have the cleanest windows & mirrors because I spend a lot of time spraying windex.

When I'm pregnant, I also love the smell of fresh paint. Our post office on base was being painted during my last pregnancy so I would check my mail box multiple times a day just so I could inhale that smell!

tutusue, did you see the recent story on kgmb 9 news about people with no sense of smell? did you know there is a name for it and it's estimated 2 million americans have it?

it turns out stacey loe can't smell either so she did a story about people with chronic olfactory dysfunction or anosmia (kinda like i no smell ya!)

pretty interesting coz my sister also has no sense of smell. her workplace got evacuated due to a "suspicious smell" and she was like, "what smell?" even as her co-workers were throwing up around her! i always forget and ask her, "what's that smell?" to which she always replies, "what smell?"

if you had a sense of smell and have lost it - it may have been caused by a virus and it could be possible to fix it with surgery.

if you've never had a sense of smell (like my sister) then there may not be a cure. i wonder how having no smell affects her (and your) sense of taste.
                    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Have you ever known someone who is color blind? A friend I used to hang around with was color blind, and every now and then I'd say something like "Whoah, check out that Blue Civic!" or "Check out that hottie in the pink shorts!" off-the-cuff without thinking about it, and he'd give me this really pissed-off look, as if I was making fun of him. He got really mad, and truly it showed he was frustrated about it.

I also met someone who lost their sense of taste after a bad car accident. (I think I wrote this here before). She said eating a steak was the most horrible sensation. Like chewing on rubber and cardboard. Just horrible. Because of that, she mostly ate soup. I can imagine not having sense of smell would affect the eating experience, as TutuSue has mentioned before.

I hope I'm not being insensitive about this lack of sense. Did that make sense? lol

Interesting to hear how pregnancy increases the sense of smell. I wonder if most women experience that? I understand it increases a lot of things. The power of hormones.

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
                      pretty interesting coz my sister also has no sense of smell. her workplace got evacuated due to a "suspicious smell" and she was like, "what smell?" even as her co-workers were throwing up around her! i always forget and ask her, "what's that smell?" to which she always replies, "what smell?"

if you had a sense of smell and have lost it - it may have been caused by a virus and it could be possible to fix it with surgery.

if you've never had a sense of smell (like my sister) then there may not be a cure. i wonder how having no smell affects her (and your) sense of taste.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

[...]
                        tutusue, did you see the recent story on kgmb 9 news about people with no sense of smell? [...]
                        I did see it, thanks. It was very interesting.
                        pretty interesting coz my sister also has no sense of smell. her workplace got evacuated due to a "suspicious smell" and she was like, "what smell?"[...]
                        The inability to smell can be dangerous. I can't smell toxic fumes either. Nor can I smell food that's gone bad. The doctor told me to expect "phantom smells" and that the "smell" of smoke is a common one. Every time that one hits I run around making sure it's not coming from a real fire!
                        It was caused by the flu almost 3 years ago. The doc said I had a 1/3 chance of my sense of smell returning; a 1/3 chance of it returning partially and a 1/3 chance of it never returning. I can't remember what time frame he gave me...either within 6 months or one year. At this point I'd guess I have approx. 10-15% of my sniffer back. I thought it was a little more than that awhile back but I think that was due to those phantom smells! It doesn't disturb me enough to have surgery altho' the ENT doc never mentioned surgery.
                        [...]i wonder how having no smell affects her (and your) sense of taste.
                        Taste and smell go hand in hand. I can "taste" sensations such as sweet, sour, salty and spicy hot but I can't distinguish flavors. I'm forever laughing at myself for proclaiming that something really tastes good! Habits die hard!

Comment

one smell i find truly amusing is that of the rancid, panicked scent of figurative tires burning. it comes from all the desperate and furiously sanctimonious backpedaling people do when they're caught in the suffocating confines of their ill-conceived but compulsive need to display to the entire world all the ways they have poor judgment.

been smelling a lot of that lately in certain threads of HT.
                          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I feel sorry for my sister with no sense of smell but she's never had one so doesn't know what she's missing.

It must affect her taste too but like I said, she doesn't know... she does put a lot (and I mean A LOT) of salt on her food so maybe that is compensating for what she can't taste.

When I was sick recently, I couldn't smell or taste anything and it was horrible!

Sis says the worst thing about not being able to smell is that she doesn't know if SHE smells so she is overly concerned with putting on deodorant and perfume - just in case!

Have you ever known someone who is color blind?
                            I never have... but that must suck too!

one smell i find truly amusing is that of the rancid, panicked scent of figurative tires burning. it comes from all the desperate and furiously sanctimonious backpedaling people do when they're caught in the suffocating confines of their ill-conceived but compulsive need to display to the entire world all the ways they have poor judgment.
                            LOL @ ericncyn!
                            Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                            My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Sis says the worst thing about not being able to smell is that she doesn't know if SHE smells so she is overly concerned with putting on deodorant and perfume - just in case!
                              Which brings to mind that product BodyMint, a pill that supposedly works chemically from the inside vs. a topical cover-up. Anyone ever try BodyMint? Does it work for you or someone you know? If so, this could at least provide more social confidence for people with chronic olfactory dysfunction.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I could never smell my own oder so it's no difference to me.

As for BodyMint, I think it falls outside of FDA testing. I'm Not sure as I want to take it only to find in 10 years that it causes something unpleasant.

Comment

Working...
                                X