Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Smell Thread

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
    [...]Anyone ever try BodyMint? Does it work for you or someone you know? [...]
    Yes...
    Yes...
    It's a wonderful product, afaic. I don't take it according to directions except the first 2 days. Then I drop down to 1 tablet per day. I'm not sure that would work for someone larger, tho'. It really does work. I tested it by not wearing deodorant to aerobics class one day...and warning everyone up front! Body Mint worked!
    Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    [...]
    As for BodyMint, I think it falls outside of FDA testing. I'm Not sure as I want to take it only to find in 10 years that it causes something unpleasant.
    GG, here are the ingredients:
    chlorophyllin
    dicalcium phosphate
    cellulose
    stearic acid

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      GG, here are the ingredients:
      chlorophyllin
      dicalcium phosphate
      cellulose
      stearic acid
      Sorry, don't mean nothing to me. I know just enough about chemistry and biology to know that harmless stuff mixed together can be harmful and even vitamins taken in too great a concentration can be deadly.

Comment

I love (and miss) the fragrances of the island flowers which is why I went into the soapmaking business! And I love the smell of soap as its cooking in my oven before I add the fragrance oils to it.

Other faves: brewing coffee, cotton candy as its being made! Mmmm.....sweet and warm smelling!

Smells I hate: cigarette smoke and bad breath.
        Lovena

Comment

It's a wonderful product
          Mahalo tutusue!

Maybe I'll get my sis some to try... since she's not in America - FDA approval won't faze her at all...

GeckoGeek - I understand your apprehension and share some reservations myself. I think that sweating is one of the body's ways of removing toxins from your system so I limit my use of deodorant to when I'm outside of the house (never to sleep in or when I'm at home) - really just for the sake of those around me.

No scientific reasoning but my own sense that if you don't get those toxins out by sweating, then they stay in and that can't be good for your lymph nodes.

Tutusue - did Body Mint stop you from sweating or just stop your sweat from smelling? Although since you have no sense of smell, you wouldn't know, right??

So, is it a deodorant (doesn't make you smell?) or an anti-perspirant (makes you not sweat??) Or do I have this all wrong???

PM - I love the smell of a handsome man too! ESPECIALLY my husband!! My daughter likes to "smell" me... and him... she's weird like me!!!

In Fijian custom, we don't kiss we "smell" each other. Kind of a cheek-to-cheek, take a deep breath through your nose kind of greeting. I never asked why but thought it might be similar to our Maori greeting (hongi - honi in Hawaiian) where we press noses and inhale - to share breath. Not so much a smelling thing...
          Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
          My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
            [...]
            GeckoGeek - I understand your apprehension and share some reservations myself. I think that sweating is one of the body's ways of removing toxins from your system so I limit my use of deodorant to when I'm outside of the house (never to sleep in or when I'm at home) - really just for the sake of those around me.
            KD...deodorant doesn't prevent sweating. It just "deodorizes" the area where it's applied.
            [...]
            Tutusue - did Body Mint stop you from sweating or just stop your sweat from smelling? Although since you have no sense of smell, you wouldn't know, right??
            My sense of smell, rather the loss of it, is a recent thing, within the past 3 years. I first tried Body Mint in 1999 when I started a low carb diet which, in the initial stages, causes a horrible taste in the mouth (aka...bad breath...really bad breath!). It worked like a charm for that. I've already mentioned my aerobics class experiment!
            So, is it a deodorant (doesn't make you smell?) or an anti-perspirant (makes you not sweat??) Or do I have this all wrong???
            Body Mint is not an antiperspirant. It "deodorizes" from within (systemically) which is why it helps with odors from top to...errrr...bottom! That also includes feet!!! Chlorophyllin is a derivative of chlorophyll. The product doesn't stop natural body eliminations; sweat or otherwise! It just neutralizes the odor. In addition, what goes in green...comes out green. And I'm not talking about perspiration!

Underarm odor is caused by bacteria. Didya know that a cotton ball saturated with rubbing alcohol and applied like deodorant is also a good deodorant? Trouble is, it has a drying effect so after a coupla days itching sets in!

As an aside, did you know that Body Mint is a local product? Oh, and I have no affiliation!

Comment

did you know that Body Mint is a local product
              Yes, I saw that on the website.

Body Mint was initially developed to help those in Hawaii beat the year round tropical heat.
              I'm intrigued enough to even try it myself... thanks for the info!

Can I buy it locally at a store or should I just order it online?
              My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

GOOD
                • Freshly-ground coffee
                • The smell of the earth and rainforest while hiking or mountain biking deep in Hawai'i mountains
                • Sea spray
                • Licorice
                Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
                  [...]
                  Can I buy it locally at a store or should I just order it online?
                  Long's carries it and they often have it on sale; anywhere from 9.95-12.95 a bottle. It's more expensive online plus you have to pay shipping.

Comment

Body Mint is not an antiperspirant. It "deodorizes" from within (systemically) which is why it helps with odors from top to...errrr...bottom!
                    While I understand the attraction of what the product does, that sounds like quite a powerful effect on the body's chemistry - and that's what bothers me. Regardless of how natural the ingredients, the results seem most unnatural. (Of course my mother when told about how great "natural" things are would reply "so is arsenic". )

Comment

Just curious, GG...and, btw, I have no problem with you being cautious about the product...do you take a multi vitamin or a B complex supplement? I ask because both cause one's shi-shi to turn a somewhat bright yellow! And, depending on the ingredients, the odor of one's shi-shi can also be affected. I remember vitamins containing yeast even made my skin smell a bit! TMI?! Anyway, I'd guess Body Mint falls under the banner of food supplements which, as you know, aren't regulated by the FDA.

Chlorophyllin is the active, anti-odor ingredient. The other ingredients listed on Body Mint's label are also found in vitamins and other food supplements.

But, as you stated, you feel the combination hasn't been tested and, therefore, you're leery of it. And, yes, vitamins (mainly the fat soluable ones) taken in too high a dosage can be problematic, too. Ditto for too much water.

Nuthin's safe, I tell ya!

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                        LIKE :
                        The smell of a fresh pot of coffee brewing
                        The smell of Bacon cooking
                        The smell of a fresh pot of tomato sauce simmering in a house. Reminds me of going to granma's house as a kid, and holidays when my mom cooked up a storm
                        Fresh Basil and fresh mint
                        LOVE The smell of pot when someone lights up :-) - Reminds me of my first concerts as a teenager in the 70's
                        Anything being baked
                        The Ocean Air
                        Nag Champa incense burning.

DISLIKE :
                        Cigarette smoke
                        Booze on someone's breath
                        Hot Tar
                        Budweiser Beer
                        The smell of a rock club during the day when the band loads in for a gig. Stale beer and god knows what else

STRANGE :

My dogs feet smell like Fritos...I kinda like that.
                        I must say, I concur with almost all of your post - especially about your dog's feet........I used to call our beloved Maggie (RIP 9/28/04) "Frito Feet."
                        That Nag Champa stuff is interesting, I actually have some.

I also like the smell of a tagine cooking with lots of fruits and chicken, the smell of an ice cold martini, steaming mussels, cilantro, fresh earth coming off carrots from the KCC market when washed, Ritz Carlton blue Spa candles, almost any candle by Jo Malone, toast freshly buttered, clean fresh sheets, lavender, a great red wine, bourbon, maile lei, french onion soup, fireplaces - one of my neighbors has a fire going now, wet pavement I could go on and on but I need to get back to making a wreath, the smell of the glue from the glue gun is interesting. I have a huge box of wine corks that I was sifting through and I could smell wine from the past and cork.

One thing I cannot cannot cannot stand, makes me always want to gag - and I know this will not be popular is arare! I hate that smell. I almost completely lost my lunch in March on a plane back from Kona with the person behind me chomping away on what seemed to be an endless bag making the flight seem endless. I also hate the sound of other people eating which amongst a couple other reasons is why I don't go to the movies........

Comment

Ooh almost forgot - I love the smell of puakenikeni! Get me a puakenikeni lei and I'm in HEAVEN!!

Comment

You're right! I almost forgot Pakalana!

Comment

Just curious, GG...and, btw, I have no problem with you being cautious about the product...do you take a multi vitamin or a B complex supplement?
                              When I think about it, I take a standard daily one. Nothing fancy.

I ask because both cause one's shi-shi to turn a somewhat bright yellow! And, depending on the ingredients, the odor of one's shi-shi can also be affected. I remember vitamins containing yeast even made my skin smell a bit! TMI?!
                              Well, stuff coming out of the normal channels for waste products doesn't worry me to much. Obviously what comes out depends on what you put in. But I've never thought about sweat being a normal method for the body to get ride of waste products.

Anyway, I'd guess Body Mint falls under the banner of food supplements which, as you know, aren't regulated by the FDA.
                              Exactly!

Chlorophyllin is the active, anti-odor ingredient. The other ingredients listed on Body Mint's label are also found in vitamins and other food supplements.
                              Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into sometime.

But, as you stated, you feel the combination hasn't been tested and, therefore, you're leery of it. And, yes, vitamins (mainly the fat soluable ones) taken in too high a dosage can be problematic, too. Ditto for too much water.

Nuthin's safe, I tell ya!
                              Watch out for Dihydrogen Monoxide. Nasty stuff.

Comment

I've never thought about sweat being a normal method for the body to get ride of waste products
                                Oh, I think it was me that hinted at that... like I said, no scientific basis behind my thinking but as tutusue said, the odor in sweat is caused by bacteria which in my mind, is better OUT than IN... which is why I use deodorant (sparingly) not anti-perspirants...

Underarm odor is caused by bacteria. Didya know that a cotton ball saturated with rubbing alcohol and applied like deodorant is also a good deodorant? Trouble is, it has a drying effect so after a coupla days itching sets in!
                                Of course I use deodorant after my shower in the morning but before I reapply during the day, I'll dab some anti-bacterial gel under my arms... it's my portable shower when I can't have one... sorry if it's TMI... but it freshens up the area before I deodorise... one smell I HATE is the smell of deodorant OVER sweat... it doesn't fool anybody!

Comment

Working...
                                X