Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Free diet plans online

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
    Studies were done on the Simeon diet? What studies? Conducted by whom? With what credentials? Reviewed by what body? Was it a carefully designed and conducted study or is it a collection of personal anecdotes?
    Hey Composit, I can tell you like the scientific approach. Here's a few (more):
    http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/29/9/940
    American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

In a double-blind study, “There was no statistically significant difference in the means of the two groups in number of injections received, weight loss, percent of weight loss, hip and waist circumference, weight loss per injections, or in hunger ratings. HCG does not appear to enhance the effectiveness of a rigidly imposed regimen for weight reduction.”.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez
    Pubmed

In a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial, “Subjects receiving HCG injections showed no advantages over those on placebo in respect of any of the variables recorded. Furthermore, weight loss on our diet was similar to that on severely restricted intake. We conclude that there is no rationale for the use of HCG injections in the treatment of obesity.”.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...l?page=2&cat=5
    HCG Diet Studies Show Results Equal to Placebo
    By Brad Sylvester

"Here are the results of actual scientifically controlled studies which were conducted in 1976, 1987, 1990, and 1995. Do we really have to perform the study again every time the hCG marketing engine revs up for another round of money making? In 1976, Researchers Stein, Julis, Peck , Hinshaw, Sawicki, and Deller concluded: "There was no statistically significant difference in the means of the two groups in number of injections received, weight loss, percent of weight loss, hip and waist circumference, weight loss per injections, or in hunger ratings. HCG does not appear to enhance the effectiveness of a rigidly imposed regimen for weight reduction." A review of 20 available studies published in the German Medical Journal "Geburtshilfe und Frauenheilkunde" concluded "These studies showed a significant weight reduction during dieting, but no differences between treatment groups in respect of body weight, body proportions and feeling of hunger," and "...the opinion of the German steroid toxicology panel is still valid, that hCG is ineffective in dieting and should not be used." A review of the data by Lijesen, Theeuwen, Assendelft, and Van Der Wal published in the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology said plainly "We conclude that there is no scientific evidence that HCG is effective in the treatment of obesity; it does not bring about weight-loss of fat-redistribution, nor does it reduce hunger or induce a feeling of well-being." There are more, but I'll save you the time, the conclusions are the same."
    Last edited by Amati; September 6, 2008, 02:07 PM.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Ya know, in all fairness to Bobinator, s/he has had success in losing weight with this diet, as did my friend during the 1960s, regardless of the studies. Most diet plans can make that claim. If any of us want to chance possible medical complications from any diet plan, well, that's our individual prerogative...isn't it!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        If any of us want to chance possible medical complications from any diet plan, well, that's our individual prerogative...isn't it!
        That's true. It is an individual choice.

But I get concerned when an occasional success story misleads others into thinking that reckless and risky dieting is a quick cure-all, when there are so many safe, proven and effective options out there.

Check out "You on a Diet" on the Discovery Health channel.
        http://health.discovery.com/fansites/droz/droz.html

Another good book: "Fit or Fat" by Covert Bailey. Easy reading. Lots of good info. He equates increased muscle density with increased metabolism and fat burn-off. He also warns that with a really good program you won't really lose as much weight as expected: Building muscle -- which is denser than fat -- will actually counteract weight loss even though you're burning off fat. So a good measure of a program? Girth measurement. Also: blood pressure, endurance and general fitness.
        Last edited by Composite 2992; September 6, 2008, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
          That's true. It is an individual choice.

But I get concerned when an occasional success story misleads others into thinking that reckless and risky dieting is a quick cure-all, when there are so many safe, proven and effective options out there.

Check out "You on a Diet" on the Discovery Health channel.
          http://health.discovery.com/fansites/droz/droz.html
          I saw this show for the first time last night. Dr. Oz makes so much sense. That said, my body doesn't like carbs as much as it likes protein! I feel terrific on a low carb (note...not NO carb) eating plan. It's a huge difference for me altho' I don't lose any weight. My lab work tells the truth, tho'! To quote my doc, "Amazing!". But even low carb is controversial so I tend to keep it to myself except in low carb forums! What's right for one person isn't necessarily right for another.
          Another good book: "Fit or Fat" by Covert Bailey. Easy reading. Lots of good info. He equates increased muscle density with increased metabolism and fat burn-off. He also warns that with a really good program you won't really lose as much weight as expected: Building muscle -- which is denser than fat -- will actually counteract weight loss even though you're burning off fat. So a good measure of a program? Girth measurement. Also: blood pressure, endurance and general fitness.
          The muscle density/weight issue is also covered by at least one low carb proponent. IOW, weight loss is best judged by how your clothes fit rather than what the scale says!

I read "Fit or Fat" when it first came out. I was extremely fit at the time and wanted to stay that way.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            But even low carb is controversial so I tend to keep it to myself except in low carb forums! What's right for one person isn't necessarily right for another.
            There are Sidney and Harvard University studies which looked at how much time it took for the body to assimilate certain carbohydrates.

Two ratings, "glycemic index" and "glycemic load" were developed and several foods were tested. They took note of what was eaten, how much time elapsed, and what the blood sugar levels were.

http://www.glycemicindex.com/
            http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritio...ory/index.html

Apparently white rice and many other similar foods gets turned into glycogen as quickly as white sugar, which is alarming! These carbohydrates -- even the ones thought to be complex carbohydrates -- can cause rapid spikes in blood sugar levels and wreak havoc on people who are at risk of diabetes.

So the "low carbs" diet has some basis in fact. Just need to balance this with an appropriate amount of proteins and not over-do any one thing. Again, as it is with all else in life, always in balance. And having several small meals a day instead of a few large ones also make sense since this is how we evolved. Primitive man ate as they foraged, like the way primates do in the wild. Makes sense to continue doing that since that's how the body seems to operate.

Comment

Working...
            X