Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ukus

Originally posted by Pomai
    Fortunately I've never contracted Uku's in my life... and boy did I have one mop of hair growing up. Now I'm happily clean shaved, so no worries.
    Too much information, brah. We don't need to know if you're shaved.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      Too much information, brah. We don't need to know if you're shaved.
      I was talking about my head.. that thing ABOVE the shoulders.

Glenn, get your mind out of the gutter. I think those Dove shorts got to you.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Whew! I was wondering about you Pomai! But talking about a mop of hair...what disgusts me to the point of throwing up is when I see this beautiful woman in a hot bikini and all this hair pushing out from the crotch area. Pleaase if you gotta show it off, shave it too!!!

But back to ukus...(what a segue) in my chemical defense class in the military, we had to see this vintage movie of what happens when someone is exposed to nerve gas. Convulsions over and over then death. The antidote is Atropine delivered quickly as a needle shot to the thigh.

If you've ever killed a roach with Black Flag insecticide, you'll notice they twitch and convulse just like being hit with nerve gas. As a matter of fact if you looked on the back of a can of Black Flag, it says that if exposed to this stuff the only antidote is...you guessed it...Atropine. My chemical defense class instructor told us that Nerve gas was a key ingredient in Black Flag insecticide.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

A friend mentioned that in the "old days", her school showed an educational film on head lice and how to treat it but the people making the film didn't want to stigmatize anyone so the people in the film looked unnaturally happy and proud to have head lice.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
            Whew! I was wondering about you Pomai! But talking about a mop of hair...what disgusts me to the point of throwing up is when I see this beautiful woman in a hot bikini and all this hair pushing out from the crotch area. Pleaase if you gotta show it off, shave it too!!!

But back to ukus...(what a segue) in my chemical defense class in the military, we had to see this vintage movie of what happens when someone is exposed to nerve gas. Convulsions over and over then death. The antidote is Atropine delivered quickly as a needle shot to the thigh.

If you've ever killed a roach with Black Flag insecticide, you'll notice they twitch and convulse just like being hit with nerve gas. As a matter of fact if you looked on the back of a can of Black Flag, it says that if exposed to this stuff the only antidote is...you guessed it...Atropine. My chemical defense class instructor told us that Nerve gas was a key ingredient in Black Flag insecticide.
            When did pubic hair become unfashionable? Women who shave look like little girls...yuck! And it's scrathcy, too!

Now...NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use raid or anything like dat on da top of your head, against ukus..or on da odda one, against crabs, for that matter!!! You gotta think dat we are living animals, just like dem cockaroaches is living animals, and raid is made to kill living animals!

There was this article, in National Geographic, about headlice (they no use the word 'ukus' in NG), and it told about a Dad who got so sick of them being on his kids' head, that he shaved the kid's head, and sprayed him with Raid And the kid went into convulsions and now has permanent brain damage.
            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm a nurse in ICU. Seen and treated more than my share of ukus, but you simply have not lived until you have watched maggots crawl out of a wound.
              Ukus are a pleasure, in comparison.
              Sorry if I ruined anyone's lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
                I'm a nurse in ICU. Seen and treated more than my share of ukus, but you simply have not lived until you have watched maggots crawl out of a wound.
                Ukus are a pleasure, in comparison.
                Sorry if I ruined anyone's lunch.
                Over here, they use leeches, to drain blood. Maggots, I don't know if they serve a useful purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
                  Over here, they use leeches, to drain blood.
                  Wow! I really didn't think that practice was used anywheres anymore.

How Ukus, or Kutus in Fijian, are dealt with in Fiji is interesting... the infected person sits in front of the helper, who searches through their thick hair. Very much like we've all seen the chimpanzee's do on a National Geographic program. And when they find one, they bite it... ewww!
                  Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Over here, they use leeches, to drain blood. Maggots, I don't know if they serve a useful purpose.
                    Where is "over here"?
                    I am originally from NY. We used leeches quite frequently in surgical ICU to increase perfusion, especially to re-attached digits. I haven't seen them used here in Hawaii.
                    I know that sterile, lab-grown maggots have been used to "clean" necrotic wounds of dead tissue, but the ones I have seen here have been grossly un-sterile, Ala Moana or A'ala Park-grown varieties.
                    Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; June 10, 2006, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man

How Ukus, or Kutus in Fijian, are dealt with in Fiji is interesting... the infected person sits in front of the helper, who searches through their thick hair. Very much like we've all seen the chimpanzee's do on a National Geographic program. And when they find one, they bite it... ewww!
                      Oh Lord. They gotta pay me OT for that.

Comment

Where is "over here"?
                        I am originally from NY. We used leeches quite frequently in surgical ICU to increase perfusion, especially to re-attached digits. I haven't seen them used here in Hawaii.
                        I know that sterile, lab-grown maggots have been used to "clean" necrotic wounds of dead tissue, but the ones I have seen here have been grossly un-sterile, Ala Moana or A'ala Park-grown varieties.
                        I live in France.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man

Ooooh...that would take forever! Mayonnaise is much faster, and it even catches the teensy baby ones.

In Africa, they cover the head with cowpats.
                          In France, they pour hot vinegar over the head.

Comment

I live in France.
                            (Resisting references to Prymatt and Connie Conehead...)

We use the "RID" brand of pediculicide here. Seems to do a good job, and comes packaged with the handy tight-toothed uku comb that is essential for efficient nit removal.
                            Years ago it was common to use "Kwell," a prescription lice-killer that could cause horrendous side-effects, including seizures.
                            And MANY years ago, my friend Irene was doused with kerosene and had her head shaved by her loving and well-meaning mother when Irene came home with a head full of lice.
                            Progress, no?

Comment

(Resisting references to Prymatt and Connie Conehead...)

We use the "RID" brand of pediculicide here. Seems to do a good job, and comes packaged with the handy tight-toothed uku comb that is essential for efficient nit removal.
                              Years ago it was common to use "Kwell," a prescription lice-killer that could cause horrendous side-effects, including seizures.
                              And MANY years ago, my friend Irene was doused with kerosene and had her head shaved by her loving and well-meaning mother when Irene came home with a head full of lice.
                              Progress, no?
                              The lice, over here, seem to be more and more immune to over-the-counter products. Even the man at the pharmacy is going nuts...he recommends lavender oil, to help keep them away. My vet says that he uses Frontline dog flea spray. One kid had motor oil put on her head.

The schools are going nuts, the little buggers are everywhere...nobody bothers to buy the expensive, non-working products, anymore. Plus, everybody thinks that products should've been enough, and doesn't bother re-treat, or to comb...pretty soon, it'll go back to the old-fashioned methods, of shaving heads.

Comment

The lice, over here, seem to be more and more immune to over-the-counter products. Even the man at the pharmacy is going nuts...he recommends lavender oil, to help keep them away. My vet says that he uses Frontline dog flea spray. One kid had motor oil put on her head.

The schools are going nuts, the little buggers are everywhere...nobody bothers to buy the expensive, non-working products, anymore. Plus, everybody thinks that products should've been enough, and doesn't bother re-treat, or to comb...pretty soon, it'll go back to the old-fashioned methods, of shaving heads.
                                To veer off a bit in another direction---I have used "Revolution" on my dog for five years here in Hawaii and have NEVER seen a flea on the dog or in the house. "Revolution" is a combo flea/tick/heartworm preventative that is applied to the skin of the dog monthly.
                                Locals here warned me about the flea and tick problem and said I would rue the day (okay, they did not actually use the word "rue") I let my dog into the house instead of keeping it in the yard. They predicted that I and my home would be attacked and infested by fleas and ticks the likes of which I had never before seen.
                                NOT ONE. Ants, termites, roaches, but not one flea or tick. Woohoo Revolution.
                                I do have to wonder what the stuff is doing to my cell replication capabilities, though. It's gotta be powerful.
                                Back to the ukus: the old-timey remedies always seemed to involve some petroleum product and shaving.
                                My friend Irene sported what would now be considered a chic do after her Mom got through with her. She did not think so at the time, however. It is monumentally tough to be nine years old, bald, and stigmatized by the "uku" label.

Comment

Working...
                                X