X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Susie's Practical Preps

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
    me thinks someone's going to become one kumu on one thread alone!

I've been reading your comments...and learning what I can...

However, I'm starting to wonder if your not a bit paranoid?

People were living just fine in Hawaii w/out any supplies long before the mainland people arrived in mass...

Many families...including members of my own wifes still are very self sufficient and only need to go to the store for things like aluminum foil and toilet paper.... they could do w/out if they had too... (some still use outhouses!)

I appreciate reading your concerns...but i wonder if your paranoia is harming your own mental well being...?

If you worry so much about such a catastrophe so much that you have to post so much about it... I think that you may want to start your own blog on it... PZ is very open too having people join his collection of writers.

I might just ask him myself someday!

Manoa
    Hawaii, as a whole, is no longer a small, self-sufficient place. It depends on shipping, for most of it's needs.

You think I sound a bit...lolo? sigh. Some of my friends, on another board, actually believe that I live under my bed.

I do worry about a pandemic happening, but that's not the real reason that I post so much about it, in here....this thread is just a fringe benefit, for you all. I tend to stay on this thread, because, when I first came in here, I wasn't made to feel too welcome. In fact, I was pretty much (almost) invited to go elsewhere. That got up my nose, especially since I am using my real name. So, I decided to stick around, and make myself useful, until we all got used to each other. So far, so good.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
      People were living just fine in Hawaii w/out any supplies long before the mainland people arrived in mass...
      Maybe back then, but now I don't think so. Without a steady supply of crude oil to fuel the generators to produce electrical power that in turn pump water and run the sewage treatment plants, that is what is truely needed otherwise it will be a real ironic twist of fate that we are going die of dehyrdation while surround by water.

And food, very little is grown here to support the population of the state. The only thing that we could consume that is grown enough here to go around would be coffee.

If we are in it for the long duration we could convert unused sugar cane land to grow corn but after the first harvest we would have to rotate crops.

To pull all this off is require people who are willing to work the fields, tools and machinery to plow the land, fuel to power it, chemicals for fertizlers, seeds for the crop and hope that no major storm comes and wipes it out.

Comment

Imagine being stuck, with the kids, in the house, during a period of 'social distancing'! All day, all night, day in and day out, for weeks/months at a time. AND having to keep up with their schooling.

For those of you, who already homeschool, lucky you, den. For the rest of us, we'll have to muddle through. Is there anyone, here, that can give us some pointers?

For the rest of the 24/7/7, something will have to be done. If there's no electricity, or phone, or internet, how many of us will be stuck for things to keep the keikis occupied?

This might be a good time to think of occupational preps. Arts and craft supplies, paper, pencils, felt-tips, glue and tape, rubberbands, scissors, fingerpaint, pencil sharpeners, staples, crayons, fabric, ribbons and bows, buttons, needle and thread, balloons, soap bubble liquid, paperclips, thumbtacks, flower seeds pots and potting soil, newspaper and flour for papier maché, yarn and knitting needles or a crochethook, a pile of flat rocks, string, wooden building blocks, marbles, tiddlywinks, pickup sticks, an erector set, lego, a tool kit and some scrap lumber...the list goes on and on.

One of those nifty wind-up radios (there's bound to be public service announcements, at least), or batteries for an ordinary one, tapes and cassettes, and those good old stand-bys, books. Picture albums and old magazines, old newspapers. A songbook. A religious book. A diary. A Twister game. Board games, puzzles, and brain-teasing toys. Barbies, GI Joes, and dress-up clothes and shoes. A piano, trumpet, violin, flute, drumset?

If the inside of you place is big enough, how about a swing or a trapeze, hung from the ceiling...with an old mattress underneath, to try to avoid compound fractures and owies. A stationary bicycle. A treadmill. A climbing frame. A sandbox. Stairs. There's gotta be a way, to burn off energy, for the little ones...not to mention excercise, for us older ones.

Anne Frank did it, with 17 others, for what...four years? It's not impossible, take heart.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
          Maybe back then, but now I don't think so. Without a steady supply of crude oil to fuel the generators to produce electrical power that in turn pump water and run the sewage treatment plants, that is what is truely needed otherwise it will be a real ironic twist of fate that we are going die of dehyrdation while surround by water.

And food, very little is grown here to support the population of the state. The only thing that we could consume that is grown enough here to go around would be coffee.

If we are in it for the long duration we could convert unused sugar cane land to grow corn but after the first harvest we would have to rotate crops.

To pull all this off is require people who are willing to work the fields, tools and machinery to plow the land, fuel to power it, chemicals for fertizlers, seeds for the crop and hope that no major storm comes and wipes it out.
          Didn't Hawaii recently have a butane/popane shortage? I seem to remember that one of the big bakeries had to shut down production, because of it. And that was just a teeny taste of what any kine shortage could bring.

How many households cook with gas in bottles, or have gas delivered to cylinders? And the others...they cook with electricity, right?

Another thought is the tourists. What would happen to those poor suckers, if they got caught in a quarantine situation? You guys might know about Aloha, and helping each other out...but would they?

Comment

By the way....whatever DID happen, with the tourists in the hurricane situations?

Comment

Here's another kind of prep, for you to think about:

Teeth.

How long has it been, since you've had a dental check-up? Any little 'problems'? Ignored cavities? Loose teeth? Wisdom teeth giving twinges? This might be the perfect time to go and get all that stuff seen to. The Toothache from Hell will probably wait, til the pandemic hits, and then whatcha goin do?

Hammer and chisel? String and doorknob? Whiskey?

Prep list:

Go to Dentist
              Painkillers
              Clove oil
              Hammer
              Chisel
              String
              Whiskey
              Toothbrushes
              Toothpaste
              Mouthwash
              Dental floss

Speaking of dental floss...you guys are really lucky, in the US. Over here, dental floss has just come into the market, recently...and only in plain. My Mom sends me dental floss in all sorts of colors and flavors; mint, cinnamon, citrus, berry...wow! My kids love it, and my Dentist asks ME, for some.

Comment

Wal-Mart has a special on Gatorade. 15 twenty ounce bottles of one flavor for under $9.

Comment

Gatorade is supposedly very good for dehydration...very good, if you've got the runs, or are vomiting, then. Something about the electrolytes...or something like that.

Speaking of dehydration...did you know that there is a way for lost-at-sea sailors to not die of thirst? Or from drinking seawater? (hint: it's not Gatorade)

It's by enema. Apparently, sea water up your backside is not harmful, and it is actually helpful, should you be dehydrated. So....should someone you know, be unable to keep down fluids, and is in danger of shriveling up, like a dried autumn leaf...grab a turkey baster, or a douchebag, and fill them up with salty sugar water.

Or maybe even Gatorade. There are some that swear by the quick drunk effect, of a bottle of spirits up the arse. In France, much of our medications are given by this route...in fact, when you have a sore throat, you get a suppository. When you have hemmorhoids, you get a syrup to drink, go figure.

It's something to do with the absorption rates, in the tissues...

Prep List: Turkey baster

Comment

This thread has just crossed over the line into the absurd.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                      Those of us involved in filmmaking tend to see words more in a visual context. This thread is NOT a pretty picture.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                        "Just"? Whaddya mean "just"?!? Been absurd long time now.

If I want someone to preach at me, I'll go to church.
                        With all due respect, Susie needs to start a blog.
                        Somewhere else.
                        Last edited by LikaNui; May 31, 2006, 01:00 PM.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                          If I want someone to preach at me, I'll go to church.
                          Funny, the same could be said for some of your posts on HT...

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                            Funny, the same could be said for some of your posts on HT...
                            Need a lesson on how to use the Ignore feature?

End of discussion.

If I feel a need to get bitched at, I'll call my ex-wife.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

If you don't want Susie's tips, don't read 'em. Ignore feature indeed. Others folks have found elements worth responding to.

Palolo Joe, you've had your last warning. Take the month off.

Comment

Re: Toilet preps

The thing is SusieMisajon is not the only source of information, for instance the UN web site's for the World Health Organization (WHO) has entry for the Avian influenza. This link I thought was very interesting:

Ten things you need to know about pandemic influenza

The second point was that besides 1918, two other pandemics occured in 1957 and 1968. Differrent strains.

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
                                There's not much to be hoped for, that the next pandemic won't behave differently then the last one.
                                Which pandemic are you referring to?
                                Last edited by helen; May 31, 2006, 02:46 PM. Reason: adding more text and links

Comment

Working...
                                X