Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the most painful (physically) thing you have gone through?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's the most painful (physically) thing you have gone through?

Two things come to mind...

I cut the end of my thumb off when a piece of foam insulation jammed on a radial arm saw and pulled my hand into the blade. White stars flashing before my eyes and a pain like nails driven into my thumb...ouch. I cleaned out the wound, dressed it with gauze and first aid tape and was back to work in half an hour. Must have had a mild form of shock cause the next day I was in some serious pain!

In the gym many years later, I get on the reclined leg press, two reps later the small of my back comes off the board and I feel a "pop" in my lower back. It took me 10 minutes to get up and off the equipment, and another 20 to get to my car across the street. Thank God I had a massage scheduled for just a few hours later. My therapist worked on it for 2 hours...and boy did it hurt, but the next day I was functional again. I stayed away from the leg presses for a month or so after that!

Comment

For the life of me, I could not figure out why I continued reading this thread. Each story seemed more painful than the previous--but I could not put it down!

I kept thinking of SNL and the "I hate it when that happens!" skit.

Gosh.. looking back, I have been blessed with a pretty pain-free life compared to some folks. I wish everyone well. Be careful!

Comment

Dislocated shoulder, twice. First time was relatively straightforward, they gave me some entonox and a couple of burly doctors pushed and pulled till it went back in. I was floating somewhere near the ceiling and never felt a thing

Second time was a lot more complicated. I was hiking on a mountain in Scotland with a group from our local mountaineering club when I slipped and fell backwards. Put my hands down to break my fall and my shoulder popped out again, this time out the front of the joint rather than downwards. Pain was agonising, we were miles from anywhere and it got complicated because when it popped out it trapped a nerve and a major blood vessel. Couldn't feel my hand and my arm was starting to turn a lovely shade of blue/grey. Luckily we had a doctor who had trained in orthopaedics as part of the group and he realised straight away what the problem was. Downside was it was going to have to be put back immediately as the nearest hospital was hours away and with the blood supply to my arm possibly seriously deficient, it couldn't wait.

I think it took 6 people in all to hold me down and let the doc do his stuff - never felt pain like it and hope I never do again (I've had 2 babies btw, that was a breeze in comparison) Needed surgery to repair the damage to an artery and to stop my shoulder popping out and it's never happened again thankfully, although it was a very long time before I could even think about hiking again!
        You don't need to know all the answers. No-one is smart enough to ask you all the questions

Comment

Working...
        X