Dieting and Staying Healthy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dieting and Staying Healthy!

Auntie, you are not the only one that is your own "worst enemy." You just described the human race, generally speaking. Seems I have to encounter at least the possibility of some serious health issue and that this catapults me into a health regimen and that "scare" of what could...be....is my will power. Of myself....I can't do it and I did have my own "wake up call" and that's how I'm being more consistent. I don't wish that on you or anyone...a serious health scare.

Remember things in our bible that either says, or means the same as "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak." I remember some great apostle of bible, was it Paul? that said he didn't do the things he knew he should and that he did things he knew he shouldn't? also...the quote "of myself I can do nothing?"

Do not kick yourself for being human and wake up another day and dig the Tai Chi and since you like it maybe do it more than once a day, and keep the faith. Thanks for sharing and I'll say a little prayer for both of us as I get to sleep and I mean that I really will.

Bless you and huggz~
    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
      I will stop taking the Simvastatin.
      Lynn - please do not just stop taking your simvastatin, based on our discussions here!

Yes, much of the information you are reading is correct regarding the muscle problems with statins, including the fatality issues. Get to your doctor, talk about the problems you are having, focus on rebalancing your medications. You are taking enough different chemicals that can interact with each other, and it can take time to find out how they affect each other in your unique system.

But don't just simply drop one or more, based on what you read online or what you hear from us - that has some dangerous potential. Talk face-to-face with your doctors, get additional opinions from medical professionals, ask them directly about the things you've read, read more about your medications, ask more questions, BURY them with questions, drive them MAD with all your questions if you have to, in order to get your physical, mental & emotional health back under your control - but please do not self-adjust your meds without seeing them first.

You know we care, dear one.

Comment

Kani-lehua, I did not mean to ignore you. I posted in a fog and my fault for being here so late when I couldn't help some dumb typo or two, also.

Salt can be tricky because it's an electrolyte and very necessary. I even like to put a bit of iodized salt in Orange Juice and then water that down instead of using gatorade type drinks, and the OJ with Calcium added, woo hoo for a bonus, but too much is bad, so....balance is necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          Lynn - please do not just stop taking your simvastatin, based on our discussions here!

Yes, much of the information you are reading is correct regarding the muscle problems with statins, including the fatality issues. Get to your doctor, talk about the problems you are having, focus on rebalancing your medications. You are taking enough different chemicals that can interact with each other, and it can take time to find out how they affect each other in your unique system.

But don't just simply drop one or more, based on what you read online or what you hear from us - that has some dangerous potential. Talk face-to-face with your doctors, get additional opinions from medical professionals, ask them directly about the things you've read, read more about your medications, ask more questions, BURY them with questions, drive them MAD with all your questions if you have to, in order to get your physical, mental & emotional health back under your control - but please do not self-adjust your meds without seeing them first.

You know we care, dear one.
          ALL medications have potential adverse effects but we have to weigh the benefits against the risks. ITA with your advice, Leo.
          BOMBARD your docs with questions and demand explanations and answers, Lynn. Please don't go changing your medication regimen without guidance.
          Take care...

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
            ALL medications have potential adverse effects but we have to weigh the benefits against the risks. ITA with your advice, Leo.
            BOMBARD your docs with questions and demand explanations and answers, Lynn. Please don't go changing your medication regimen without guidance.
            Take care...

ditto to that! auntie, like i said in a previous post, i got a second opinion and had to be weaned off of the statins before starting with a different medication.

according to yesterday's star bulletin (couldn't find the link, sorry), " vytorin and zetia might not work and should be used only as a last resort, a panel of four cardiologists said yesterday at a major medical conference in chicago. instead, doctors and patients should rely more heavily on older cholesterol-lowering drugs called statins, which have proven benefits and can be cheaper. statins include drugs like lipitor and simvastin, the generic version of zocor. but other, lesser-known drugs like the vitamin niacin should also be tried before vytorin and zetia. unlike statins, which block the liver from making cholesterol, zetia stops the intestine from absorbing choleterol in food."
            "chaos reigns within.
            reflect, repent and reboot.
            order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

You are my Online OHANA!! Das why I love HT! Unconditional love felt through cyber space. Amazing.

I called my doctor but she wasn't in.heheheh She comes back tomorrow. K-den. I'll take my Simvastatin 80MG Tablet until I speak with her and go over my meds.

I thank you all for your kind words and sincere concern.

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Auntie, good! good that you are working with your doc and not suddenly going it alone.

What if stopping a med can shock the body or something? I mean one you've been on and not just a week or ten days of antibiotic.

What comes to mind is that if we are one of the health-nuts that takes several grams of Vitamin C, for example and I mean for an extended amount of time, wisdom dictates that we are to slowly come down off of, LOL sounds goofy as if it's a high...sorry, back to being serious, we are to slowly lessen the amount of Vit. C because taking more than like 1000mg. a day and even that may...

become systemic to our bodies so that they rely on it and it actually becomes necessary and expected to basic health. There have even been extreme and rare, yes......reports of people doing mega-Vit. C and stopping it all at once and they got symptoms of Scurvy, teeth got loose, and things like that!

In this instance you are on prescriptions and I am glad cuz you are working with your doctor every step of the way.

BTW, I like your signature, good scripture. I need to read things like it so that I keep the balance of wanting to do my best and yet knowing what to expect from myself, and when to admit I am just human.

Sending you huggz~

Comment

Karen, I was going to answer you in the Life before Death thread, but I'll do it here. I just want to give you a long virtual (((HUG))).

Mahalo

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

SUE! yoo hoo...over here, lol.

Of course neither of us meant to derail/hijack a thread. In the course of human nature every conversation evolves, BUT....since we both care to keep a forum flowing as it should and the posts be naturally recognizable per subject.....Thank goodness Auntie started a "diet and health" thread cuz we can now, within the subject of health discuss a ton of things and this thread can evolve since it's such a broad subject.

Maybe a mod will move our vinegar and amino acid posts to here, for us.

Yes! gal check out Ft. DeRussey and maybe you'll find their group still meeting and exercising.

Oh wow, I had no idea that the same symptoms for overproduction of acid could be for under producing, also. Glad the raw vinegar is working for you. It is great for so many things. I wouldn't think of flying without drinking it...per bloodclotting/pooling in the legs....phone.....hopefully be back soon.

Here's the link you put on the derailed thread. I had not been to their site but once. I think I'll now peruse it. I had forgotten that they produce olive oil, too and I trust their brand to make high quality products. Will have to see if Longs carries it. Oh wait, they stopped carrying the vinegar, dang'em. Okay, will check GNC.

http://www.bragg.com/bragglifestyle/ftderussyclass.html

When I found this thread for us to move to I had not realized/remembered which one it was. I sit here eating my smoked salmon over two fatfree, high oatmeal tortillas, 60 calories each, and with a little dip that was made last night with fatfree Philly cream cheese, a lot of sauteed garlic, shallot and onion, and some green stuff, LOL..oh yeah, spinach, but nto raw, and a large shallot that is raw that I just cut up and mixed in, and am drinking a tablespoon or closer to two of the raw vinegar, and some Oddwalla Banana strawberry puree, mixed with half glass of filtered water.

I'll exercise in less than an hour but again, most of it will be my eliptical, 15min. will be a miracle, but on the hardest setting, then my universal type, pulley weight machine and then my FAV! lieing on my exercise mat with a pretty heavy ankle weight on and doing maybe....70 leg raises four times, two of those per leg.

I'll then feel like showering and grocery shopping, or I should. I have not lost anymore weight in three weeks, easily. I did get tired of the same 'ole, very healthy but same few types of meals that work for me. I have had oh man, carrot cake again, just small piece, chocolate too many days though not too much per time, had one lowfat java chip frappuccino from starbucks when tired, hungry and shopping, with the extra espresso shot added, and I've actually indulged a bit in mac and cheese and a couple of other meals that I know I just don't need, and can't count the calories of. No, didn't put on anything but it's time to continue losing.
                    Last edited by Karen; April 26, 2008, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Okay. Maybe it's just me and my science-based thinking regarding such things but just what is ingested vinegar supposed to achieve related to health issues?
                      Is it supposed to change the acid/base balance in your body? Is that the claim?

Comment

I doubt you'll find anything in JAMA, WORN, but if you google on apple cider vinegar and reflux you'll get many hits; granted, all anecdotal. As for me, my relief was dramatic, first with the slippery elm powder then the ACV. I'd much rather try a so-called "natural" remedy as drugs and I just don't like each other. I'd make a truly lousy junkie!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                          I doubt you'll find anything in JAMA, WORN, but if you google on apple cider vinegar and reflux you'll get many hits; granted, all anecdotal. As for me, my relief was dramatic, first with the slippery elm powder then the ACV. I'd much rather try a so-called "natural" remedy as drugs and I just don't like each other. I'd make a truly lousy junkie!
                          sorry, i'm confused are you taking both the slippery elm powder and the ACV?
                          "chaos reigns within.
                          order shall return."

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                            sorry, i'm confused are you taking both the slippery elm powder and the ACV?
                            Yes...when I remember! I take the SE in the morning and the ACV before dinner. Once I use up my existing SE, I'll switch to ACV in the morning and evening and see how that works.

BTW, fresh lemon juice also works well. I ran out of SE awhile back and didn't have time to go to the health food store. I got reflux really bad and the naturopath told me to find a lemon! I ran across the street, bought a lemon, squeezed half of it into a half glass of water, added some stevia and...the relief was wonderful!

Comment

please keep us updated. i'm VERY interested. i posted before that i use generic zantac (spelling). 95% of the time it works.

the lemon method sounds interesting, too. sorta like a lemon-lime alka seltzer without the fizz . was the stevia used just as a sweetener? or did the naturopath recommend adding that into the concoction, too? if so, for what reason? also, do you know what triggered the acid reflux when you had to use this potion?

sorry to pry.
                              "chaos reigns within.
                              order shall return."

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                                [...]sorry to pry.
                                Not at all...just as long as you understand that what I post is just my experience.

I didn't know what was causing the reflux...and that was the problem. I didn't know what to eliminate. Tums, Pepcid, etc. made it worse. I had more symptoms during the day than at night which seemed odd. My naturopath explained it in terms I really didn't understand until she mentioned a lack of acid instead of an excess of acid...and how the lack affected some valve!!! I was afraid that drinking "acid" would add fuel to the fire. If that happened, she said, I could just take a Tums! It didn't happen. Instead, I found relief. The stevia was just for sweetening. I love that stuff and have used it for years altho' naturopath also recommended it.

For me, the lemon was more like a strong lemonade. I find the ACV to be less expensive and more convenient.

Comment

Working...
                                X