X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dieting and Staying Healthy!

i totally understand.

regarding the lemon potion: add vodka to make it a hard lemonade

ah, yes! i've heard of that VALVE and don't recall the name of it either.

i also told you that i tried cumin. well, that didn't work at all!

peppermint? someone somewhere recommended using that to help with the reflux. i tried the tea but it didn't work either. maybe it wasn't strong enough?! maybe peppermint shnapps woulda worked?!
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Windward RN, only raw vinegar has a lot of health benefit. It is a blood thinner, and in the raw state it has pectin, enzymes that are not killed by heating, as well as minerals, Potassium being the one it has the most of.

There is literally a ton of anecdotal evidence of the health benefits of raw vinegar, and make no mistake about it, the vinegars in the grocery stores are used for cleaning in my house, not for food.

I watched my mom clean our Mr. Coffee maker with vinegar about once a month and would be amazed at the amount of hard water deposits that it cleaned out of the thing. I've heard about a case of vinegar spilt on a cement, warehouse floor and how it wasn't cleaned up quickly and cleaned the floor, and can only imagine how the healthy version of vinegar must be helping to clean out my body.

When I have stuffy sinuses I will eat three of the fattest cloves of raw garlic that a bulb will have, and chase it with a tablespoon approx., of raw, apple cider vinegar in Oddwalla or Govinda's juices, and water. My sinuses get clearer every time and I have several productive "blows of the nose."

My sister has rheumatoid arthritis and eats a lot of salmon for the fish oil. Anecdotal as it is, I have friends that swear by the raw vinegar for their arthritis symptoms, too. Vinegar is great for a sunburn.

There are many that claim anecdotal evidence that vinegar lowers blood pressure. I don't know....I am 51, weigh anywhere from 158 to 160 the last couple of weeks, at 5ft. 6in......my daddy at my age had BP of 160 and over, but mine is 110/75. I've drank the raw vinegar for years....maybe it's a good part of why mine is so good, too.

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
      Okay. Maybe it's just me and my science-based thinking regarding such things but just what is ingested vinegar supposed to achieve related to health issues?
      Is it supposed to change the acid/base balance in your body? Is that the claim?
      Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Hey, guys-do you know what is my "diet"?

All "nice" fatty food has to go from the fridge and kitchen alltogether!

I only have water, fruit and vegies,and some lean meat & chicken left in the fridge.

Its sooooooo boring, but it works wonders!

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
          When I have stuffy sinuses I will eat three of the fattest cloves of raw garlic that a bulb will have, and chase it with a tablespoon approx., of raw, apple cider vinegar ...
          Yeah, but do you still have friends?

Comment

Still, maybe I oughtt try the garlic thing. My sinuses have been bothering me a lot these days, especially with the vog and recurring sinus infections. I've been drinking the raw organic apple cider vinegar thing with honey. I like it a lot. Can't say I'm seein miracles here, but I'm certain it's doing me some good. I sometimes add some cinnamon. Heard it's suppose to help you lose weight. Feels like Xmas all year long.

Comment

Bob, LOL amazingly, yes I do! I even still get huggz.

I do warn them when I've eaten the garlic and suspect there could be an odor, stuff like that, and we all joke about it.

I just finished eating some teriyaki salmon on top of some multi-grain, soy, health nut type flatbread, one really large shallot, (large FOR shallots) instead of garlic, a bit of lowfat sour cream and some fresh made salsa with jalapenos, in it, and I chased it down with some Govinda's Superfood? is it called, very green, Spirulina in it? I get the versions of Govinda's confused with Oddwalla at times but am sipping the last of it, with a tablespoon of the raw vinegar in it, and a box of tissues here on the desk.

Some days it works better than others but it always works some, and my headache of the forehead I awoke with, probably a sinus one is finally lessening. I took one tylenol and that alone didn't do much.

Dang VOG, molds and mildews on island can give our sinuses heck. Lemme know here if you try it and like it.

Comment

karen: i'm with you regarding molds and mildews and dang all the pollen.

bob: what about using a saline solution for your sinuses? it worked wonders for me when i had a head cold.
                "chaos reigns within.
                order shall return."

Comment

I have also been using some hot sauces like "texas Pete's hottest. Don't get me wrong.....I am not ready for Habanero in my V8 but the mixes of Jalapeno and other hot peppers and maybe fifteen or so drops in my veggie juice, warmed in the microwave a bit, and drank after having my raw garlic or shallot, and my sinuses have been fighting a losing battle.

The ENT suggested we buy new bedpillows every six mos. because of the molds.

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                    bob: what about using a saline solution for your sinuses? it worked wonders for me when i had a head cold.
                    I use the sinus rinse kit with the squeeze bottle from longs drugs. I like it a lot. Loosens all the... * from my sinuses and gives me temporary relief, but not much else. It's helpful, but not a cure.

My dentist friend recommended "Thera Flu for Colds (Severe;Daytime)" Helps alleviate the sinus infection symptons and is said to allow speedier healing. I tried it a couple of times. Works well, but tastes like, well... rotten lemonade. Have to get the daytime one so it doesn't make you drowsy. Doesn't dry me out either. May have to resort to using it everyday this weekend. Gotz singin engagements. Hard to sing with swollen sinus tissue. Sound like an alien.

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                      I have also been using some hot sauces like "texas Pete's hottest. Don't get me wrong.....I am not ready for Habanero in my V8 but the mixes of Jalapeno and other hot peppers and maybe fifteen or so drops in my veggie juice, warmed in the microwave a bit, and drank after having my raw garlic or shallot, and my sinuses have been fighting a losing battle.

The ENT suggested we buy new bedpillows every six mos. because of the molds.
                      bob: sounds like karen's potion of peppers/veggie juice will clean you or your sinuses out. lol.

karen: met a neighbor across the street. he's growing all kinds of peppers. he gave me one (don't remember the name) that looks like a habenero that's supposed to be the second hottest pepper in the world next to some kind of peruvian one. he also game me one of his jalapenos and another one i can't recall the name of. he gave me some kind of thyme plant, too. i in turn gave him some multi-colored bell pepper plants. nice guy, that one. says he's going to make some salsa, molles, etc. for cinco de mayo. even makes chilli powders. he was trying to give me more than i needed and had to tell him that a little goes a long way.
                      "chaos reigns within.
                      order shall return."

Comment

he gave me one (don't remember the name) that looks like a habenero that's supposed to be the second hottest pepper in the world next to some kind of peruvian one.
                        he's probably growing dominican's devil's tongues (DDT), or red savina, peppers. the hottest pepper in the world is actually indian (the southeast asian kind).

to give you an idea of how hot that is, regular tabasco sauce is at about 2500-5000 scoville units. habanero tabasco sauce, which tests my upper limits, comes in at more than 7000. DDT is 350,000 to 500,000 units. the hottest pepper, naga jolokia, gets 800,000 - 1,000,000 scoville units. eat at your innards' peril!
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                          he's probably growing dominican's devil's tongues (DDT), or red savina, peppers. the hottest pepper in the world is actually indian (the southeast asian kind).

to give you an idea of how hot that is, regular tabasco sauce is at about 2500-5000 scoville units. habanero tabasco sauce, which tests my upper limits, comes in at more than 7000. DDT is 350,000 to 500,000 units. the hottest pepper, naga jolokia, gets 800,000 - 1,000,000 scoville units. eat at your innards' peril!
                          hm? those names don't sound familiar. but, even if that's what he gave me, i wouldn't recall the names. there was just too much information for me to take in. all i know is that he said they were hot, hot, hot! he talked about the scoville units, but again, i don't remember where they would be on the scale.
                          "chaos reigns within.
                          order shall return."

Comment

hm? those names don't sound familiar. but, even if that's what he gave me, i wouldn't recall the names. there was just too much information for me to take in. all i know is that he said they were hot, hot, hot! he talked about the scoville units, but again, i don't remember where they would be on the scale.
                            let's put it this way. when handling such peppers as that are as hot as scotch bonnets, use gloves. be careful when chopping, bcs getting any part of it in your eyes will burn. i understand that there might even be irritating fumes when cutting up such peppers so you might want to wear goggles or glasses.

hawaiian chili pepper - about 100,000 scoville units.

eric encourages me to eat chilis, whether jalapenos or serranos or hawaiian red chilis, often. they boost metabolism, are great for your heart/blood, and act as anti-inflammatories. some studies have shown benefits to those who have diabetes. additionally, they are a good source of vit c and help clear sinuses, which makes them a great choice if you're feeling under the weather. overall, if you can handle the heat, chilis are a good part of dieting & staying healthy.
                            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

agreed. however, i did slice the "hot" pepper with the flesh side down being ever so careful as to not handle it too much and used very, very little of it in the teriyaki sauce i made the other day. it did pack a punch, but not right away. i'm trying to dry out the seeds for future planting.

did you read the article in i believe yesterday's paper about the fire in one of india's markets in which the peppers caught on fire which produced a stinging and irritating fume/smoke? i looked for the link but couldn't find it.

"hot" topic. not. i just started my bioset in which i should have chinese red radish sprouts, mung bean sprouts and broccoli sprouts within the next 3-7 days. this should be a no brainer. all i have to do is water once a day. we'll see.
                              "chaos reigns within.
                              order shall return."

Comment

OK, now that I've read about the apple cider vinegar on this thread, I went to Down to Earth this weekend and picked up a bottle of the stuff. Still haven't had any of it though!! Is there a website that I can go to that goes into more detail about the benefits of apple cider vinegar. Also bought some Stevia in little packets that look like sugar packets....still haven't used those either.
                                Love jalapenos...Happy Cinco de Mayo!! :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X