HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 3

Here's Mother's Day '08 Sunset from the Hau Tree Lanai!
    Attached Files
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Wow, great shots, Jim, especially the dolphins!

Comment

• Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - VOG CITY

Jim, indeed, that dolphin shot is worthy of gracing a month in an ocean-themed calendar. Awesome! That murky water is kinda' scary though. Who knows what else is lurking in the area!

Well, as we all can see, today is Vog City in the islands. I got a few shots around town to show it.

Here's a look towards Manoa valley from Waikiki...

Manoa Valley from Waikiki on "Vog" day. Photo taken 5.16.08 @ 6:30am

Usually when you can't see inside the valley it's because of heavy rains, but this time it's vog.

Here's a look towards Kalihi Valley, with Aala Park down below...

Kalihi Valley from downtown on "Vog" day. Photo taken 5.16.08 @ 7:am

Saving the best for last, here's a panoramic shot taken this morning from Pali Lookout!...

Pali Lookout on "Vog" day. Photo taken 5.16.08 @ 11am

If necessary, click on the image to magnify it to full size, then pan across using your browswer's horizontal (bottom) scroll bar. I created this using by stitching together 5 shots using software.

Once again, no that's not rain (or clouds for that matter); that's vog.

Notice the Marine Base and Chinaman's Hat are totally cloaked. Actually, hardly anything much beyond Koolau Golf Club is visible. Many of the tourists there were making comments to each other about it.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Everybody's saying this is the worst vog they've ever seen. At 7am this morning I couldn't see the Ko`olau mountains at all, nor the hills behind the Kaneohe Yacht Club, and I live barely half a mile from both!
          I had a meeting in town yesterday and drove home around the east end. From the lookout point at Makapu`u, even Rabbit Island was almost totally invisible just a few hundreds yards offshore.
          Hideous, as Pomai's photos prove.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

• Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - VOG CITY

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
            [...]
            Well, as we all can see, today is Vog City in the islands. I got a few shots around town to show it.

Here's a look towards Manoa valley from Waikiki...
            [...]
            I have a similar view and find today just a bit clearer than yesterday. Not much, tho'! I could see absolutely nothing in Manoa Valley yesterday; it was totally socked in. And, Tantalus was only barely visible. I can now see the east ridge, with a touch of green, above the valley. Tantalus is shrouded in a light haze.

A neighbor told me it was worse this morning. I had my window shades closed most of the morning due to exterior window washing in progress. Guys seated in small harnesses hanging by ropes from a high rise make me nervous!

Comment

From Aala Park yesterday.

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Thanks to all for the positive feedback on the photos. The water was indeed kinda cloudy with the dolphins that day, Pomai. I hadn't even considered the shark aspect till you mentioned it. We were so excited to see the dolphins I didn't even think about it at the time. I've read that sharks like cloudy water as it provides them with the element of surprise. I'll have to keep that a little closer to the forefront of awareness. Becoming an hors d'oeuvre for Mac the Knife would definitely ruin your day.

Great sunset pic, Menehune Man. Where is Hau Tree Lanai?

Thanks for posting the Vog pics, Pomai and Aunty Lynn. I've been wondering how that's been. Kinda like LA can be, except LA has a brown tinge. Apart from seeing it, are you noticing it in terms of smell or breathing?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
                  Where is Hau Tree Lanai?
                  It's at the New Otani Kaimana hotel, just Diamond Head of the Waikiki Aquarium. Check it out at this link. Always a terrific and romantic place to eat, right smack on the beach. Their menu and a virtual tour is at that link.

Apart from seeing it, are you noticing it in terms of smell or breathing?
                  Heck yes. Everyone has red eyes. I noticed it yesterday while driving, my eyes were stinging. The smell isn't terrible; probably worse the closer you get to the Big Island. And yes it absolutely affects breathing.
                  Nasty stuff.

Comment

Apart from seeing it, are you noticing it in terms of smell or breathing?
                    I can't smell...lost it two years ago.

As for the Vog, I take precautions cause my grandson is asthmatic.

I have two air-conditioners going full blast 24/7.

Auntie Lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Hi guys,

How do you actually post photos here from your computer?
                      Or you can only post it from myspace etc. kind of sites?

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                        It's at the New Otani Kaimana hotel, just Diamond Head of the Waikiki Aquarium. Check it out at this link. Always a terrific and romantic place to eat, right smack on the beach. Their menu and a virtual tour is at that link.
                        Thanks for answering the question, LikaNui!
                        I got alittle dizzy whatching the virtual tour. HaHa!
                        That was the first time I ate there for dinner, thoroughly enjoyed it.
                        Usually go for breakfast and that's great too.
                        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kleo View Post
                          Hi guys,

How do you actually post photos here from your computer?
                          Or you can only post it from myspace etc. kind of sites?
                          While in post mode, you can attach an image (or other file) by clicking on that paper clip button to the right of the smiley icon, which is limited to a 600x600 pixel 100kb .jpg file. Or you can host it from sites like Flickr or Photobucket and copy the image link into the 'insert image' tag by clicking on that yellow square button with the mountains and sun on it. Whether you use smileys or images, you're limited to 3 per post.

Or, you can tell us what your photo(s) looks like in 1000 words, give or take a few 100.

There's also a new feature here at HT where you can create your own photo albums under your profile!
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Today was the first day warm enough for shorts. Went down into the State Park for some hiking. The first photo is the welcoming committee. Forgot carrots, but they seemed happy with Pringle's potato chips. What they really like are marshmallows.

The second one is a couple of big bulls from about two weeks ago. The third is from last summer. The buffalo like to keep patches of ground opened up like that so they can wallow in it. It keeps flies off of them, but they also lick a lot of the iron rich soil up as it's a good source of minerals for them.

Comment

Great shots, Jim... as usual!
                              I went for an early morning drive today and snapped off these three:

Comment

"Hee Haw.. Hee Haw... Welcome to Jack Ass in the Box, may we take your order? Hee Haw"

"Yes, I'll have the Buffalo Burger Deluxe Super Combo"... "And brush your teeth next time you clock in for work".

"Hee Haw"

I wonder if those Baffalos are how Likanui envisions his ex-wife/plaintiff? lol Awesome shots as always!

Likanui, I'm dig the shot of Kaneohe bay with the rastafarian-painted boat in it. I love the bay when it's glassy like that.
                                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                                X