Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Playwright Lisa Matsumoto dies...

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
    While I won't label her an alcoholic (I believe the label should be imposed on one's self and not by others), the fact that her BAC was 3 times the legal limit AND she still got behind the wheel are signs of an alcoholic habit.
    I'm curious. How does one actually know he is over the legal limit of alcohol consumption? I mean, it's not like we carry our own traveling breathalyzer kit.

Don't get me wrong. We know when we are blatantly over the limit, like getting buzzed. I'm sure that is roughly qualified as 3-4 times over the legal limit.

But is there some indication that you're like +.015 or +.02 over the legal limit, without a testing device?
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
      But is there some indication that you're like +.015 or +.02 over the legal limit, without a testing device?
      It's doubtful you'll have this handy while you're at a bar/party, but it's kinda neat:

http://www.intox.com/wheel/drinkwheel.asp

If someone ever brings out a breathalyzer at a party, RUN LIKE HELL.
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
        The facts were out.

3:30 am
        driving on the wrong side of a freeway
        driver knows the freeway
        driver is 43 so has been driving the freeway for 20 years or so
        driver passed many on coming cars (they called 9-11) and yet did not exit or pull over.

and now you will all say that a stroke or diabetes could cause this which while maybe possible is really stretch.[...]
        I'm the one who said..."The odds, probably, but certainly not the only reason. Blood sugar problems can play havoc with the brain before one goes into a diabetic coma.". I don't recall "stroke" being mentioned and I'm not going to take the time to prove myself right or wrong by reading every post in this thread. Regardless, we "will all say"? That's a ludicrous statement, Kam. A couple of us have mentioned medical possibilities...because they are/were possibilities, whether you like it or not. You can pontificate all you want but it doesn't change the fact that you came barreling thru this thread with an ill timed "diagnosis" like a brakeless Mac truck heading down the Pali. You are the one who has taken attention off the surviving victims and put it on...YOU. And, yah, I'm buying into it! Your timing sucked...plain and simple. That's all it's about for me. I'm not surprised at all by the now publicized cause of the accident.

Comment

The facts were out.

3:30 am
          driving on the wrong side of a freeway
          driver knows the freeway
          driver is 43 so has been driving the freeway for 20 years or so
          driver passed many on coming cars (they called 9-11) and yet did not exit or pull over.
          Those are facts, yes. But those facts alone did not and does not incontrovertibly lead to the conclusion L.M. (or anyone else in that situation) was on drugs/alcohol. If you want to feel some sort of vindication from having your *speculation* being confirmed by the medical examiner's report, then be my guest. Still doesn't change the fact that you were engaged in speculation. Sorry.

With all that said, though, I want to make it clear that I have no sympathy/tolerance for anyone found guilty of DUI, even if no victim is involved. But the point here is anyone "found guilty" by the legal system. No one (dead or alive) deserves to have their names/reputations dragged through the mud until definitive and irrefutable evidence is brought to light.

At least, that's my stand. YVMV, of course.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

GeckoGeek, your need to be polite is making you myopic and rude. Let me explain. All you "Locals" listen up and try catch.
            Uh, I'm not the rude one here. And you're more then welcome to go back to where you came from and take your attitude with you.

As far as comparing me to your friend, trust me, I'm not that polite. And yes, I have seen accidents caused by someone trying to be nice.

That same need to be overly polite to someone who got really really drunk knowing that she drove her car to where ever she was and knowing that she would have to drive it home
            We know that for a fact? Can you cite sources? I've not seen it reported and I have no idea where her home is. As much as has been written about Lisa the playwright, I haven't found much of anything about Lisa the person.

But no worries. Just wait for the blood-alcohol level to be reported for Roelle Hoohuli and you'll have a new whipping girl. We know a lot more about her situation. If it does turn out to be DUI, it will be sad. As a bartender at a company party, there should have been plenty of people who should have known better. It underscores the question of how does one know their limits?

Could you please cite any instance of someone driving the wrong way on a highway for as long as she did and it not be due to drugs or senility (very old driver). Out of the thousands that have surely occurred I'm sure someone can find that one.
            So you're gong to be picky and demand it be the same situation? Would you settle for someone who got into an accident and then just sat their in their car in a stupor? Everyone at the time thought he must have been as drunk as a skunk, but it turned out to be diabetes out of control. Fortunately that doesn't happen very often or a diagnoses of diabetes would automatically cancel one's drivers' license. Sorry, I don't feel like taking the time to do the research to answer your question. Especially for someone that I'm suspecting of being a troll.

If your intent is to be a troll, you're doing quite well. If your intent is to change minds, you are failing.

Comment

While driving a moped, a "polite" driver stopped to let somebody take a left. I was driving on the shoulder, as mopeds do, and the left turner crossed right in front of me. I plowed into the car, and flew 20 feet. Thankfully, no bad injuries. Driving with "Aloha" is dangerous. That is the bottom line.

I saw the play "Once Upon One Time" in Volcano. Hilarious !! Every racial and social steroptype you can think of in Hawaii was well represented in that play. I laughed and laughed.

Being involved with theater, I can also attest to the level of drinking surrounding the players. The play is the thing. Until it's over. Then it's time for red wine.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                It's doubtful you'll have this handy while you're at a bar/party, but it's kinda neat:

http://www.intox.com/wheel/drinkwheel.asp[...]
                I found my result interesting. I plugged in 2 glasses of table wine over 3 hours, appropriate gender, appropriate weight. Result: .000 g/210 liters of breath! When I drink, it's always wine, never more than 2 glasses over an entire evening. I would've expected the result to be a tad bit higher than that!

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                  Uh, I'm not the rude one here. And you're more then welcome to go back to where you came from and take your attitude with you.
                  Hahahah, didn't take much to get the "go back where you came from" line from a recent immigrant.

According to the eggheads at UH, my return would involve taking a double hull canoe to the Marquesas.

How about you? Where would you go if you went back to where you are from.

Some Hawaiians (you know what that is??? or should we translate into you grandmas language?) are laughing in their graves right now.

Comment

Hahahah, didn't take much to get the "go back where you came from" line from a recent immigrant.
                    You were using "local" in a way that suggested you didn't count yourself as one. So I ass/u/me-d that you were a recent arrival. My error.

How about you? Where would you go if you went back to where you are from.
                    I don't think the nurses at Queen's maternity ward would appreciate my presence.

Getting back to DUI .....

Yes, I agree that a key issue is people who *drive* somewhere and then drink. Obviously they'll need to get themselves and their car back home. They are making this decision at a time when they are sober or at least sufficiently sober that they can be held responsible for their decisions.

In Lisa's case, I'm withholding judgment until enough facts are in on what happened. I fail to see how that's rude or how that encourages anyone else to ignore the dangers of drinking and driving.

We still have DUI deaths. What can be done? I doubt if we'll ever eliminate them without depriving freedom, but is there anything that can be done to reduce them?

The "don't drink and drive" drum has been beaten for quite awhile. Is it loosing effectiveness? And is "zero tolerance" for mixing alcohol and driving going to work? Or is it time for another tact?

Random brings up a good point. How many people out there know what their limit it? Is there something that can be addressed to help people know how much it takes to push them over the limit?

Comment

Oh boy...hope this thread doesn't go the way of

http://hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=9725&page=20

Let's chill folks, it's almost Christmas...

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                        You were using "local" in a way that suggested you didn't count yourself as one. So I ass/u/me-d that you were a recent arrival. My error.
                        I don't consider myself "local" because that word has come to define a recent immigrant, usually of plantation worker decent, who is now committing psychological genocide by attempting to redefine "Hawaiian" into the neo-faux-Hawaiian-wannabe culture.

"Local" Californians for example, even those of Asian ancestry, don't run around in Indian feathers telling anyone they disagree with to "go back where they came from", especially to a Native American.

That's what you do cuz you suffer from that disease. You think "Queens" makes you Hawaiian. It doesn't. It makes you a current resident. Thats all.

Comment

My sympathy go out to the Family of Lisa Matsumoto.
                          It`s said when tragedy happens during the Holiday`s.
                          I think the people who were with her that night must feel really bad since this tragedy could have been avoided if someone had stopped her from getting behind the wheel in her condition....
                          bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Don't drink and post - this thread shows the tragic results, like the most convoluted definition of "local" I've ever seen. But I'm not, so of course I wouldn't get it.

(Aside to Fat Jeff: Must be the stresses of this time of year; note the dates at the end of the thread you referenced. )

Comment

What stopped them from doing the right thing?

They don't want to hurt her feeling?

She assured "she can handle, no worry, brah"?
                              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                                Don't drink and post - this thread shows the tragic results, like the most convoluted definition of "local" I've ever seen. But I'm not, so of course I wouldn't get it.

(Aside to Fat Jeff: Must be the stresses of this time of year; note the dates at the end of the thread you referenced. )
                                You are correct. You can't get it.

And Jesus supported the truth.

Comment

Working...
                                X