RIP - Billy Mays, Infomercial Pitchman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RIP - Billy Mays, Infomertial Pitchman

The news reported that an autopsy showed Mays died of heart disease.

Comment

Today on the Discovery Channel (for me with basic cable that's channel 69)
      there is an all day marathon of "Pitchmen" the show he was doing with
      Anthony Sullivan. Early in the evening is the season finale.

Comment

Last year's interview

Billy Mays was a Republican, if anyone was curious!

Comment

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,531440,00.html

Is it a good idea to keep running his commercials?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
            [...]
            Is it a good idea to keep running his commercials?
            The key is corporate got permission from his family. About a year and a half ago I cast a local commercial that included a woman who was 34 at the time; the picture of health. About 2 months into airing that spot, she died. It was completely unexpected. While I never heard the reason, the situation, as told to me, seemed to indicate a virus that might've turned quickly into a super bug. The advertiser spoke with her family and stopped airing the spot for awhile out of respect to her family. Eventually the spot returned to the air.

I, personally, don't see anything wrong in continuing to air Mays' spots as long as the family is in agreement, which it is.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              I, personally, don't see anything wrong in continuing to air Mays' spots as long as the family is in agreement, which it is.
              It's simultaneously a memorium, a tribute, and an inheritance...
              Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
              Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
              We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
              Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

I don't see anything wrong either.

The tribute episode was really wonderful, touching and brought a tear to my
                eye. He was a really neat guy full of caring and very charitable as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                  It's simultaneously a memorium, a tribute, and an inheritance...
                  The income will definitely be part of his estate whether any monies are yet to be paid or if the money was already paid. Depends on his contract.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    The income will definitely be part of his estate whether any monies are yet to be paid or if the money was already paid. Depends on his contract.
                    Very nice tribute to your friend. Sorry for your loss. Leash

Comment

It's the viewers who might feel uncomfortable seeing someone playing themselves who have passed away recently. I have a hard time watching the Lance Armstrong commercial with cancer survivors. My mind goes to a personal experience of seeing someone close die of cancer. So, I have no idea with the product is.

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                        Very nice tribute to your friend. Sorry for your loss. Leash
                        Thanks, Leash. Billy Mays and my friend, Bob, died on the same day, were almost the same age (within a year) and neither death was expected. Both were involved in the same industry altho' on opposite sides of the camera. Initially we were told that Bob's death, like Mays, was heart related. An autopsy revealed Bob went into cardiac arrest due to a blood clot in his lung.

Our local film industry members are changing their online avatars, with the majority of them on Facebook, thru tomorrow as that's the day of Bob's celebration of life. Facebook will also be full of tributes. That's helping those who can't attend the services to still have a way to participate.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                          It's the viewers who might feel uncomfortable seeing someone playing themselves who have passed away recently. I have a hard time watching the Lance Armstrong commercial with cancer survivors. My mind goes to a personal experience of seeing someone close die of cancer. So, I have no idea with the product is.
                          Aha. Now I understand where you're coming from and can appreciate why you feel the way you do. Personally, I don't feel an advertiser can anticipate the sensitivity of the viewers in this situation because it's practically impossible to do so. Many viewers will be uncomfortable, most won't. The family, otoh, does need to have their feelings taken into consideration, which happened in Mays' case.

Comment

Re: RIP - Billy Mays, Infomercial Pitchman

Apparently, cocaine contributed to the death of Billy Mays. It would certainly explain the "manic" tone of his commercials.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32334881/ns/us_news-life/

Very sad.
                            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                              Apparently, cocaine contributed to the death of Billy Mays. It would certainly explain the "manic" tone of his commercials.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32334881/ns/us_news-life/

Very sad.
                              This question is going to sound horrible. Is there a moral clause even after the person has died because of drug use?

Comment

what would the moral clause apply to? and what would be the point of enforcing one? The man has passed away.
                                Last edited by anapuni808; August 7, 2009, 09:13 PM. Reason: (sorry - didn't mean this posting to sound so harsh)
                                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                                X