Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who's your favorite local comedian?

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    But no mention of HT in your acceptance? Lickins, when you come home in December!
    You know the media. I probably gushed about Hawaii Threads for 70 minutes, but it gets edited down. No? Oh okay, I'll go sit in the corner.

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    I cast my tardy vote for Andy. Paul's great, but time is a big factor for me...I'll probably change my opinion if he's still this good in ten years!
    Scriv, 10 years? I'm not this good now.

Seriously, thanks to everyone for your kind words. Somehow, I managed to win and stumble into this exclusive circle of celebrated and talented comedians and I just hope to live up to the high standards they've all set.

Getting back on thread, there are so many other local comedians (both past and present) that you should look into. Old school cats like Kent Bowman (K.K. Kaumanua), Fred Ball, Rufus Demarco, Jaz Kaner. Some of my "classmates" like Kento, Lanai, Hawaiian Ryan, Kehau Jackson and even Lee Cataluna (remember?). And the newer group of faces in Hawaii comedy like Shawn Felipe and Kaleo Pilanca (who will be the biggest thing in Hawaii comedy in the years to come, mark my words).

Go out and see a comedy show some time soon. Maybe you'll discover a new favorite, or rediscover someone who was your old favorite. Live comedy is a magical thing. You can watch a DVD or listen to a CD, but it'll be that much better in person. Especially if you're watching Mel Cabang. Now get out there first, and then cast your vote...

Comment

Hey, Paul. Congratulations. You deserve it. Reading your post, one of the of the old-time comedians you mentioned struck my memories -- KK Kaumanua. Oh, he was funny! (You are, too! ... but I think he's kinda forgotten.)

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ogata View Post
        You know the media.
        Yes. But it helps if you do some gushing for an hour or so. That way it won't get edited completely down.

I probably gushed about Hawaii Threads for 70 minutes, but it gets edited down.
        No.

No?
        Yes, I said no. Now go sit in the corner, okay?

Oh okay, I'll go sit in the corner.
        Sit.
        Stay.
        Good dog.

Oh no... he peed on the carpet again!

I'm glad we had this little chat. (Told you you were gonna get lickins! )

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          (Told you you were gonna get lickins! )
          LICKaNui --- please don't lick the comedians! (Don't deny it - you used a "smiley" with its tongue out, too.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            LICKaNui --- please don't lick the comedians! (Don't deny it - you used a "smiley" with its tongue out, too.)
            Leo, you DO know that "lickins" is a pidgin slang for "beat up" (as in clobber someone) and not to literally "lick" as in with your tongue, right? Just checking.

There's a chicken (Buffalo) wings restaurant in Aiea named Dirty Lickinz', which I think is the COOLEST name for a joint like that.

Any chance in the future, either on local or national TV (I know, big difference), we'll see "The Paul Ogata Show"?

I haven't even watched Augie T's OC-16 show yet. How is it? Need to check it out.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
              Leo, you DO know that "lickins" is a pidgin slang for "beat up" (as in clobber someone) and not to literally "lick" as in with your tongue, right? Just checking.
              But of course. (On a couple of occasions, I have had to avoid getting "lickins" from the AF's favorite auntie.) A/K/A "whack whacks" around HT.

I appreciate the pidgin check (since you know my background.) I thought LN's post was just silly enough to deserve silliness in response.

Comment

I love Da Braddahs!
                'Alika

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                  I haven't even watched Augie T's OC-16 show yet. How is it? Need to check it out.
                  it's a-ight. sometimes he has a tendency to let a skit run too long, like the one where sam choy appeared as a guest on some auntie's ghetto cooking show. i think we got the point after two dishes (heavy use of canned goods, mostly), but he went and did three or four. it's kinda like he has a funny thought about a certain situation but it's not always substantial enough to develop into a throroughly funny character skit that lasts several minutes.

Originally posted by akrauth View Post
                  I love Da Braddahs!
                  me too!
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I still watch the 'Best of Delima...Too' once in a while. Great stuff, but like every thing else, doesn't have the same effect as before. I haven't seen any of his stuff since then, but will soon.

He makes fun of Portugese more than any other ethnic group in the hopes that we can all laugh at ourselves.

I also saw Chris 'Da Portagee' Clown long ago in school. I actually tried being like him for a while. I ended up pissing off another Portugese guy and got cracked instead of cracking him up.

I made like Bart Souza and marched on.
                    Sing with me, everyone!
                    "Some folk'll never eat a skunk, but then again, some folk'll..."
                    like your mama, the slack-jawed yok'll.
                    --------------------------------------------------------------
                    http://www.haleakalatimes.com/ <--- better than MTV
                    --------------------------------------------------------------
                    The Nettle Caterpillar Must DIE!!!
                    http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/IP-22.pdf

Comment

For those of you here who know Paul Ogata personally, and have spoken of his warm-hearted personality and fine humor - now I know more of what you speak, and thank you for steering my attention to him. I owe you one. (Actually, I owe Paul one; two, counting the AF.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        For those of you here who know Paul Ogata personally, and have spoken of his warm-hearted personality and fine humor - now I know more of what you speak, and thank you for steering my attention to him. I owe you one. (Actually, I owe Paul one; two, counting the AF.)

Aw shucks, mister. Great to meet you and the AF in Seattle.

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                        Can't wait to see all the bigger and brighter things ahead for you!

"Bigger things" ahead, that's for sure. (Read the last part of the column to find out what kind of bigger things.)

Comment

Originally posted by DKP View Post
                          I also saw Chris 'Da Portagee' Clown long ago in school. I actually tried being like him for a while. I ended up pissing off another Portugese guy and got cracked instead of cracking him up.
                          Chris is a friend of mine and I gotta tell ya, it's his personality that let him get away with that stuff (and it was sometimes stuff that few could get away with). He's definitely mellowed, but he can cut loose any time and it's his laugh & good guy charm that gets him through.

Comment

Paul Ogata WRITES! (Duh, but dis is in da pepah!)

Paul Ogata's funny, topical POME, li'dat ... in today's Star-Bulletin:

http://starbulletin.com/2007/12/24/features/dakine.html
                            I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Mahalo Erika for that FYI!

That "Go Warriors... All I want for Christmas" wreath drawing by Kara would make for a fantastic sign at the game.

Paul contributed another version of "Night Befo' Christmas" here at HT either last year or the year before. I can't find it, but it's there. All I remember is that the last verse ended with "Chee hoo!". lol
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: Paul Ogata WRITES! (Duh, but dis is in da pepah!)

Originally posted by Erika Engle View Post
                                Paul Ogata's funny, topical POME, li'dat ... in today's Star-Bulletin:

http://starbulletin.com/2007/12/24/features/dakine.html
                                Priceless!

Comment

Working...
                                X