Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In "Manic Monday," why are the Bangles wishing it were Sunday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: In "Manic Monday," why are the Bangles wishing it were Sunday?

Originally posted by Bob P View Post
    Seriously! Let's break this down

a) He's banging Susanna Hoffs
    b) He can talk her into doing it when she doesn't really want to
    c) She's supporting him

My only questions is; How do I get this position?????
    Sounds a chick with low self esteem in the song.

She was definately the hottest member of the band. She's married to J. Roach now and has two kids.

Comment

*random comment*

I used to practice the Susanna Hoffs' "Walk Like An Egyptian" shifting eyes thing for hours a day back when that video came out. Susanna was gorgeous! I bet she's still gorgeous.
      I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
        I used to practice the Susanna Hoffs' "Walk Like An Egyptian" shifting eyes thing for hours a day back when that video came out. Susanna was gorgeous! I bet she's still gorgeous.
        Oh yes. She still is.

Comment

Sunday is viewed as a day of rest, and thus all she (or Prince) wants to do is live a life where you could just relax all day or have fun. The other days are "business", Saturday is trying to get over the hangover or any other fun adventures.

Here's my big question, why did The Bangles want to go down to Liverpool to do nothing?

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
            between posts like this, your beer preferences, and your charmingly shameless pervings on carole kai (which i don't understand) and giada (which i do understand), i'm utterly convinced that if i were still single, i would soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo date you.
            That's very nice. I'd say something equally complimentary in return, but YOU KNOW WHO might be reading this.

Anyway, little good that all does me now.

Plus, I've been thinking for a week about what I wrote, and I think I have to take some of it back. There's definitely more of a relationship between a singer and his or her song than a writer and his or her novel. I was thinking about a lot of the more cryptic songs I could come up with, and a great deal of the critical expounding necessarily comes as the result of comments made by the songwriters, as with "Hotel California." Sure, the song COULD be about a lot of wild things, but when the songwriters themselves tell you what they had in mind, you kinda have to go with it, right?

So I take back a lot of what I said to Mel earlier. Maybe we do need to ask Prince.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I keep thinking there's gotta be some great gal out there for Scrivener, because so many great gals on HT think he's a great guy.
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                I keep thinking there's gotta be some great gal out there for Scrivener, because so many great gals on HT think he's a great guy.
                we should have a reality show (thread) for this!

what's the format?
                Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Okay, I'm nipping this one in the bud. Please.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                    Okay, I'm nipping this one in the bud. Please.
                    good night!
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by johmbolaya View Post
                      Sunday is viewed as a day of rest, and thus all she (or Prince) wants to do is live a life where you could just relax all day or have fun. The other days are "business", Saturday is trying to get over the hangover or any other fun adventures.

Here's my big question, why did The Bangles want to go down to Liverpool to do nothing?
                      A few bits.

Prince also wrote songs for Shenna Easton. Short, female, dark hair, cute, hot, sounds like Prince got a pattern. Or he just want to look at someone at eye level. Prince can almost be compare to Barry Gibb, where he would hand other artist a hit of his own. Anything Prince touch was gold back then.

Bangles - Liverpool because they believe they were the female Beatles. Going back to where they "came from." And their careers would last as long.

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
                        Prince also wrote songs for Shenna Easton. Short, female, dark hair, cute, hot, sounds like Prince got a pattern.
                        Martika, Apollonia Kotero, Vanity, Morris Day & the Time, El DeBarge, Paula Abdul, Patti LaBelle, Tevin Campbell, Kenny Rogers, Nona Hendryx, and Sheila Escovedo. The "pattern" seems to break down rather quickly.
                        Last edited by scrivener; February 29, 2008, 07:18 AM. Reason: "I don't know if you're loving some body; I only know it isn't mine..."
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Bangles - Liverpool because they believe they were the female Beatles. Going back to where they "came from."
                          That's funny, since they were from the L.A. area. But their debut Columbia album featured "Going Down To Liverpool."

During the brief time that they were calling themselves "The Bangs," they appeared in a short 1982 film called "The Haircut," which starred John Cassavetes as the client in a barbershop. The barber (played by Nicholas Colasanto, Coach from "Cheers") asks Cassavetes if he wouldn't mind listening to "(his) daughter's band," who practice in the shop.

I videotaped this off a television broadcast many years ago, but I understand it's also included as a bonus on the DVD of "The All Nighter," which starred Hoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                            Martika, Apollonia Kotero, Vanity, Morris Day & the Time, El DeBarge, Paula Abdul, Patti LaBelle, Tevin Campbell, Kenny Rogers, Nona Hendryx, and Sheila Escovedo. The "pattern" seems to break down rather quickly.
                            I knew he wrote songs for others too. Men and women. I was just making a point that he wrote songs for pretty female singers. And if you look at your list, you do see a pattern of what Prince's "taste" in women. Maybe if you remove Labelle, it'll be more clear.

And the short part? it's hard to wear high heels for a man. So it's nice to be around women that are about his level at 5' 2", instead of females that are like 5'9" + heels.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              That's funny, since they were from the L.A. area. But their debut Columbia album featured "Going Down To Liverpool."
                              Yes. I think I better stop on this thread as my sense of humor is not catching on.

Comment

A few bits.

Prince also wrote songs for Shenna Easton. Short, female, dark hair, cute, hot, sounds like Prince got a pattern. Or he just want to look at someone at eye level. Prince can almost be compare to Barry Gibb, where he would hand other artist a hit of his own. Anything Prince touch was gold back then.
                                I've been a Prince fan for almost 30 years, after since I had seen the "I Wanna Be Your Lover" video on Oceanic Cablevision public access way back when, and I bought the 45 at Music Box Records in downtown. Sadly, have yet to witness a Prince show. One day, I say, one day.

Comment

Working...
                                X