Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone remember Shnazz?

Originally posted by PearlCityMike View Post
    I correct myself: Sakata worked at H.M.S.A. when I was there in 1993-94.
    There I go confusing jobs again (and years!). My bad for working at too many places on Oahu back in the day.

Oh and thanks for the Fritz links. Interesting stuff.

I'll see what I can do as far as mp3s go. I'll get them and the cd sooner or later, but for now those youtube videos are priceless.
    My friend David used to work with Vernon at HMSA and became good friends with Vern. I had the LP transfered to CD from Jellys. I also have Teazer and 98 Rock to Riches album transfered to CD. I have the Shnazz songs loaded on my IPod now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
      No, that's not Fritz in Don Tiki, but I see the visual connection.
      Shnazz wuz one of the many bands that hit the waves with the Aikane catamarans out of Kewalo Basin for the Rock the Boat concerts in the late 70s.

Teazer wuz another 70s local rock band that did the late night booze croozes and played TABLES out Sand Island way. They had an LP, and thier best song 'Rock Out With Your C*** Out' was classic.
      Teazer used to be the house band at Dominic's rock & Roll Clinic.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
        Did Shnazz have any connection to Poi Dog Pondering?
        Originally posted by mel View Post
        I don't think so. The band that had that connection was Hat Makes the Man.
        Correct. Frank Orrall was a member in both Hat Makes the Man and Poi Dog Pondering. I used to see Hat Makes the Man in the mid 80s when they performed regularly at The Wave.

Comment

No, that's not Fritz in Don Tiki, but I see the visual connection.[...]
          The visual connection was so strong to my eyes that I decided to query someone with inside information! The Shnazz Fritz and the Don Tiki Fritz are, in fact, same-same.

And those are some beautiful mics he makes!

Comment

Well..., call me a virgin and toss me in the volcano, you're right!
            After doing my own investigation, I'm stunned, I thot he wuz long gone from Hawaii. My hat is off to him for doing such a superb job, and for being part of this great and NEEDED ensemble.

Thank you tutusue for digging out the facts and correcting me, and for the harp site. Those look great!
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Well..., call me a virgin and toss me in the volcano, you're right!
              After doing my own investigation, I'm stunned, I thot he wuz long gone from Hawaii. My hat is off to him for doing such a superb job, and for being part of this great and NEEDED ensemble.

Thank you tutusue for digging out the facts and correcting me, and for the harp site. Those look great!
              I saw on the web site that he currently lives in Oregon. That was confirmed by my "insiders"! Don Tiki doesn't currently have a regular, local gig so I guess that allows Fritz to participated when needed. For those of you who haven't seen Don Tiki, it's fabulous! Fritz's character in the show is smarmy Delmar deWilde! In addition to the Don Tiki web site linked in a previous post, they also have a myspace page...along with some interesting friends!

Ok, you can climb outta that volcano now, virgin!

Comment

Originally posted by na alii View Post
                My friend David used to work with Vernon at HMSA and became good friends with Vern. I had the LP transfered to CD from Jellys. I also have Teazer and 98 Rock to Riches album transfered to CD. I have the Shnazz songs loaded on my IPod now.
                If that's the same David, he was my old high school friend that got me into HMSA. Our friend Paul had the Shnazz LP back in 1980 and we listened to the songs at his house a few times back then. David introduced me to Vern when I worked there.
                Last edited by PearlCityMike; March 29, 2008, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PearlCityMike View Post
                  If that's the same David, he was my old high school friend that got me into HMSA. Our friend Paul had the Shnazz LP back in 1980 and we listened to the songs at his house a few times back then. David introduced me to Vern when I worked there.
                  My friend David O'Neal is from San Bernardino CA and was later assigned to manage Hawaii Family Dental Center which was owned by HMSA at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by na alii View Post
                    My friend David O'Neal is from San Bernardino CA and was later assigned to manage Hawaii Family Dental Center which was owned by HMSA at that time.
                    David O'Neal! Not the same guy I was referring to but I knew that David too. Curly brown hair and a mustache with a friendly demeanor. I saw him later at HFDC too, might've been for a delivery or something. Thanks for jarring a memory, I had forgotten about O'Neal. He even played a little pickup basketball with us a few times at the Kaimuki courts. Tell him I said "howzit" when you see him.

Comment

For those still looking for the music, I saw Jelly's in Honolulu had two LPs in stock. They're in the "Hawaiian" section. Under "S". It's easy to find as the edges are bright yellow.

Comment

*bump*

Shnazz's Fritz flew into town and appeared with Don Tiki last night at a wedding reception I attended. The groom and Fritz have been good friends for years. Fritz is still such a good entertainer and performer. Whatta treat to have Don Tiki for a night's worth of entertainment!

Comment

I have video footage of these guys somewhere back in the day, I can't recall if its a special they had on KGMB or a segment they had on the Hawaiian Moving Company.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            Whatta treat to have Don Tiki for a night's worth of entertainment!
                            I'm dreaming of about an hours worth of bootlegged video...

Comment

I'm dreaming of about an hours worth of bootlegged video...
                              I video'd 1 3/4 songs before my battery died! Had I known DT was the night's entertainment I would've brought a back-up camera!

Comment

I hear youtube calling...

Yes, lesson learned the hard way, but I'd say you done pretty good just getting what you did!

Comment

Working...
                                X