Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Styx coming to town

Originally posted by mel View Post
    Somehow I think Styx would fit into this categorization, though most of their music prior to The Grand Illusion album is rarely heard on radio today. The exceptions may be "Lady" and "Crystal Ball" which are among their earliest, popular tracks.
    On classic rock stations, you can still hear "Light Up," and on good days, "Suite: Madame Blue."

I generally agree with this. That's why I said "maybe" in my prior post. I knew Led Zeppelin's members had played with other rock groups, most notably the Yardbirds. I think Jimmy Page also did studio work on some old British top 40 hits by Herman's Hermits and other artists.
    I think the real test of the "supergroup" tag would be if, had the term existed when the group founded, you'd have put it on them. My guess is that the best we'd say is "Jimmy Page's new band," not "supergroup."
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The term "classic rock" though makes it easier to categorize the music. Works for radio, should work for everyone else.
      It's a categorization that tells you it might be on a playlist for a classic rock station. But it's far too general as a musical description.

It's like describing a 1950s recording artist as an "oldies" act. That's an awfully general description and tells you next to nothing about them in musical terms. But using genres like doo wop, rockabilly, R&B, etc., are much more descriptive, if you ask me.

I generally agree with this. That's why I said "maybe" in my prior post. I knew Led Zeppelin's members had played with other rock groups, most notably the Yardbirds. I think Jimmy Page also did studio work on some old British top 40 hits by Herman's Hermits and other artists.
      Yep. Jimmy made a nice living that way. The most controversial credit he has claimed is the guitar solo on the Kinks' You Really Got Me. Down to this day, Dave Davies swears it's him playing. But Page insists that it's his solo. When you consider that Jimmy's legendary place in rock history is secure based on his Led Zepp and solo work alone, I personally don't think Page would be petty enough to lie through his teeth in order to claim one stinkin' solo on a Kinks record.
      Last edited by Frankie's Market; June 6, 2008, 12:41 AM.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

As a kid growing up in Chicago, the radio dial was often filled with local groups Cheap Trick, REO Speedwagon, Chicago and of course Styx. My mom had the CORNERSTONE album on constant rotation at our house. I cannot believe it's been nearly 30 years since that album came out. It's a shame that DeYoung doesnt perform with the guys anymore. They reunited when John Panozzo died but things seemed to have fallen apart after that. DeYoung seems he is okay with the guys and would tour with them again if things were right.

But I watched the VHI story on Styx and it seems Shaw and James Young have so much bitter angst against DeYoung, at times they literally mock some of the stuff they once played. DeYoung wrote "Babe" for his wife and it was their most successful song ever, I think it is mean to make fun of that. Shaw and Young had no problem cashing the checks when the songs were hits and I'm sure still to this day get royalties from those songs they seem to dislike so much.

Best of Times" was one of my favorite songs Styx ever sang. I'd like to remember them all together as a group because that is when they played their best music. As they once said "Our memories of yesterday will last a lifetime." So true.

As for the Motor City Madman....I guess "High Enough" by the Damn Yankees that Nugent played guitar on with Shaw and Blades on vocals would be labled as a "power ballad" and not simply a "ballad". I like Ted, always thought he was a bit goofy, but have had respect for the guy. I don't always agree with his views on politics and hunting but he's very passionate about his beliefs and he stands his ground.

Aj

Comment

waaayyy back in the early 70's, I was visiting a friend of mine who had moved to Wahkeegan (sp?) just outside of Chicago. Her father was a teacher in the local high school. As a treat, he took us to a concert at the school. The were a local band who had just gotten a recording contract. Yup - it was Styx! No one had heard of them at the time, but a couple of months later I started to hear "Lady" on the radio.

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
            waaayyy back in the early 70's, I was visiting a friend of mine who had moved to Wahkeegan (sp?) just outside of Chicago. Her father was a teacher in the local high school. As a treat, he took us to a concert at the school. The were a local band who had just gotten a recording contract. Yup - it was Styx! No one had heard of them at the time, but a couple of months later I started to hear "Lady" on the radio.
            I had the same experience as you - we must be of similar age. I too remember seeing Styx in gymnasiums as well as later on in bigger Chicago
            venues. Small world.

I also remember seeing people like Loggins & Messina, and Jim Croce at College of DuPage in Glen Ellyn and Harry Chapin (one of the best concerts ever) at North Central College in Naperville. The Chicago suburbs were a great place to be in the early 70's to be sure!

Comment

Per the Page/Davies thing...

If you give a listen to the early BBC tapes of The Kinks doing thier tunes live in the studio, you'll realize that Dave could rip those solos every bit as good as the single versions, and it does sound like the records (albeit even better), tonewise, style, and note selection.
              So, the debate may continue, but the fact is DD easily could have done it, and probably did.
              That's not to say Page didn't do studio work on Kinks stuff, he may have been removed later or not put on at all, but doubtful.
              The Davies brothers were quite fussy about having thier own stuff on the records and not easily swayed to have hired guns do anything.
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Years ago I had some old tapes transferred that had Jim Croce and Styx performing on the videos, local show produced out of Chicago, had to be around 1972-73 I'm guessing in terms of how old that tape is. I think Styx performed in Grant Park and Croce in the studio.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post

I have often said that Rush was the band that taught me how to listen to music. My affection for music of all types is mostly the result of my learning to listen attentively to the way ALL the components of a song work together to create one thing....
                  very interesting post; can you recommend a particular book or website that attempts to educate the casual listener?

(small aside: remember the movie Amadeus? "...A personal favorite is the Serenade for Winds, K. 361, 3rd movement. As Salieri describes, this piece is exemplary of Mozart's true genius: simplicity crafted into the complex. The interweaving melodies become impossible to separate, and yet never cross the line to cacophony. I can remember, as a young music student, hearing Salieri describe the beauty of this piece -- the clarity of the oboe, and the lovely tune of the clarinet -- and becoming just as entranced myself by its long, mesmerizing journey to a final cadence...."

your description of rush and styx reminded me of that scene and i'd be happy to check out some music critic (for example) you can recommend who does what Salieri did: describe in beautiful language what we should all be seeing/hearing.)
                  525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Got my tickets today. Row DD which is 4th row.

Comment

Man I almost forgot about tickets being on sale this weekend! The "Grand Illusion" album has gotta be one of my favorite albums of all time.

How did you get your tickets so early? I went on Ticketmaster and it tells me the ticks aren't available yet.

Comment

Not only are these guy a great band, but genuinely GOOD people. I had the pleasure of cooking for them about 2 years ago when they stayed at the property I was running. they were with us for 3 days and we had a blast. Great all around guys, a lot of fun on and off the stage, gave me and my F&B director free tickets with all access passes, and we had the BEST time ever at the V.B.Amphitheater.
                        flickr

An email from God:
                        To: People of Earth
                        Date: 9/04/2007
                        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                        God

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
                          Man I almost forgot about tickets being on sale this weekend! The "Grand Illusion" album has gotta be one of my favorite albums of all time.

How did you get your tickets so early? I went on Ticketmaster and it tells me the ticks aren't available yet.
                          105.9 KPOI had a presale with "KING" as the password. Tickets went on presale yesterday at 9:00am to 9:00pm.

Comment

Originally posted by na alii View Post
                            105.9 KPOI had a presale with "KING" as the password. Tickets went on presale yesterday at 9:00am to 9:00pm.
                            Ahhhhhh. I almost forgot again and didn't logon to Ticketmaster til a few minutes after the sale time. It woulda totally sucked if my work blocked online transactions. Anyway, halfway back on the upper balcony for our $65 tickets. $20 in extra charges. Why can't they just advertise what the actual cost would be after the smoke clears

Comment

Styx site shows Maui now...10/10...

Comment

Hide the children!
                                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                                X