Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Homegrown

Originally posted by Pomai44
    Homegrown albums, now my question is how many of those where made and can you still buy them?

Rj tells me he created 5 for the San Diego market, mid 70's, then came back to his home and produced 5 for the Hawaiian market.
    Strangely and ironically enuff, 'homegrown' was the catchphrase thought up there in San Diego for the title of the original series.

Comment

you're a wealth of local knowledge thanks for the link and info on habilitat.
      this space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy
        I remember going to DJs Sound City (Exactly where Kimo remembers it, and in Pearl Ridge as well)

and here it is...

http://www.tikitv.com/djsouncity.html

...large inventory of fresh new 1977 Homegrown albums sitting in a dump display, being chosen by a hapa wahine in a boob tube and flaired jeans drawstring tieindaback pants at DJ's Sound City... wheah?! ala moana?
        Looks like mauka side, like where Lida's is, cuz we see dabus going by and a building right behind it...

the dump display header sez:
        KKUA 69 presents
        Hawaii's own 1977
        Homegrown Album

behind da wahine, spok em:
        (wait; recognize em, before I tellya?)

Leo Sayer, thunder in my heart album
        Kansas album; point of know return

http://www.tikitv.com/dakine!.jpg

then we have a ton of casette accessories, of course, (remember those?)
        and then da wall o' 45's behind da clerk in the thick canvas Surfline subdued print aloha shirt complete with epaulets.

spotted;
        The latest album from Olomana "and so we are"... color poster of that on the front of the blue counter.
        3 yellowish DJ's sound city frisbees with a piece of paper showing the cost, on da counter.
        plastic ashtray.
        plastic display thing showing "Clear Sound" product
        She rests her hands on a 10X12 speaker cabinet..
        another Olomana 8.5x11 flyer on the way out, taped onto an Olivia Newton John standee next to the door.
        clipboard with manila folder colored paper listing allll the 45 chart hits available on da wall.
        same thing on white paper taped to the counter top. 3 panel cartoon taped to counter top.
        It pays to wear a snug boob tube: She hands him da record, he rings it up, staples receipt to da bag, she walks out with it. No money exchanged. she got a freebie.

(had to create a small size version movie cuz da buggah woulda been much bigger than the 10+ mb's it is now...)
        Last edited by kimo55; June 10, 2005, 05:25 PM.

Comment

WOW Kimo......thanks for that one!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai44
            I have a friend who is looking for a song, doesn't know the title or who did it just knows that it was on one of the Homegrown albums, now my question is how many of those where made and can you still buy them?
            gathering details piece by piece.
            thus far:

The first "Homegrown" album was released in 1973 in San Diego, when RJ (Ronald Jacobs to you) was a DJ there at KGB... The album featured local musicians performing their songs about the area. A San Diego resident created the cover art, a result of a citywide contest. The liner notes were written by a teenage KGB listener by the name of Cameron Crowe.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              gathering details piece by piece.
              thus far:

The first "Homegrown" album was released in 1973 in San Diego, when RJ (Ronald Jacobs to you) was a DJ there at KGB... The album featured local musicians performing their songs about the area. A San Diego resident created the cover art, a result of a citywide contest. The liner notes were written by a teenage KGB listener by the name of Cameron Crowe.

Interesting....so Cameron Crowe's "Fast Times" started in San Diego?
              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
              Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                Interesting....so Cameron Crowe's "Fast Times" started in San Diego?

yer asking the wrong person. I am dealing here, with RJ's work and the Homegrown lineage.

Comment

http://www.dannycouchfanaddicts.com/ohakua.htm

I have one of the albums posted on my website with photos and sound clip. Home Grown
                  Oh Akua,by Na Hoapili (Good Time Friends)
                  Written by: John Kalani Lincoln Danny Couch's first recording he sings the backup on this song, if you listen you can pick out his
                  voice, Danny's gift for harmony was evident even early on.

http://www.dannycouchfanaddicts.com/ohakua.m3u

http://www.dannycouchfanaddicts.com
                  Last edited by dcfanaddicts; July 24, 2005, 02:51 PM.

Comment

dey wen broke down da fujimura store...
                    its gone u no see'em dea no moa
                    dey sed dey goin build one shopping complex
                    i wonda wat dey goin broke down next?
                    old haleiwa's changing so fast
                    why must dey always wipe out all da past?
                    dey wen build up one mililani town
                    on top all dat nice pineapple ground...

i foget da rest dangit!

help me out somebody!!! pls!!
                    Reggie aka pinakboy
                    Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
                    Raw Eats Veggie Videos
                    Recipe Tube TV!
                    Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

no can buy shave ice deah no mo.

Comment

bands in Hawaii are "wedding singer,cover bands".
                        sudden rush is a awesome band thats not wedding singer LoL , their really good ... do you know any other bands like them , dat mix reggae and hiphop together and stuff
                        Ebb And Flow

Comment

I was surfing the net this past weekend and found this...What ever happened to this project ? Anyone know? Would be nice to see it come to pass.

Flickr

Comment

I was surfing the net this past weekend and found this...What ever happened to this project ? Anyone know? Would be nice to see it come to pass.
                            I haven't seen or thought of that album cover in more than 20 years, but oh man! the memories it brings back. Yeah, that would be a great project to revive.

Comment

The KRTR Homegrown album did come out on a CD in 1998. Here is a link to a picture of the album cover:

http://kellyvillaverde.tripod.com/si.../homegrown.jpg

Here is one of the artist's website who had a track on this album:

http://kellyvillaverde.tripod.com/

Look on the left hand side of his homepage. Click on recordings and a description of the album and the same picture shows up.

I seen this on sale at Jelly's a few times over the years. The album like the original Homegrown ones is probably out of print now.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Thanks for the info mel. gotta go on a hunt now to find it

Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X