Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Top 10 Albums of all-time...

Originally posted by Linkmeister
    Is anyone noticing a pattern here? I swear I could guess the ages of the participants solely on the albums selected.
    I guess my age is in the range near Mel and Albert's, for my selections would be similar to theirs.

Albums that I would add to their list or be honorable mention would be:

Neil Young - Harvest
    Eric Burdon and the Animals - Never the twain shall meet
    Beamer Brothers - Honolulu City Lights
    Santana - Santana
    Santana - Abraxis
    Three Dog Night - Golden Biscuits
    Chicago - Chicago Transit Authority
    Doors - The Doors
    Doors - The Soft Parade
    Doors - LA Woman

ps - Almost any Beatles Album could be on this list
    Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

It seems as though the age of the poster is the hint within the lists.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I'm just gonna go with five

1. Discovery by ELO
        2. Rumors by Fleetwood Mac
        3. That's the Way of the World by Earth Wind and Fire
        4. Bat out of Hell by Meatloaf
        5. Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack

Comment

Originally posted by Moto

Three Dog Night - Golden Biscuits
          Sadly, this album remains out of print.

However I found that 4 of their earliest releases have been repackaged and are now available as double CDs on one disc each. Check these out:

It Ain't Easy / Naturally - Naturally is one of my favorite Three Dog Night albums of all time and this would have made it to my list had I expanded it out to a top 20. It Ain't Easy was a hard album to find on CD for several years. Now the 2 are on one disc. Cool.

One / Suitable For Framing - I should get this CD. I already own the above as single CDs. This is their 1st and 2nd studio albums. Got "One," "Eli's Coming" and "Celebrate" on them plus a Lennon-McCartney song not recorded by The Beatles called "It's For You".

Perhaps the best reissue today is the double CD compilation called Celebrate - The Three Dog Night Story 1965 - 1975 which features all of their top 40 hits and several popular album tracks and B-sides. This compilation is a must for all Three Dog Night fans.
          Last edited by mel; July 3, 2006, 07:59 PM.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

IMO, I don't think Sgt. Pepper deserves to be in the top 10 albums of all time. Sure the Beatles were brave in experimenting with sounds at the time, but so were the Beach Boys who also came up with unique (and way more harmonious) tunes. Anyway, here's my top 10:

1. MJ - Thriller
            2. Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life
            3. Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
            4. MJ - Off the Wall
            5. John Coltrane - My Favorie Things
            6. 2pac - Me Against the World
            7. Boyz II Men - II
            8. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
            9. Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
            10. Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

And being a soundtrack, I don't consider it an album, but I would've included it in the top 10: Grease (original motion picture soundtrack)
            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

1. 2pac - All Eyes on me - 1996
              2 MJ - Off The wall - 1979
              3. Prince - Purple Rain - 1984
              4. Guy - 1988
              5. Bobby Brown - Don't be cruel - 1988
              6 Michael jackson - Thriller
              Last edited by B-Scott; November 30, 2006, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Re: Top Albums of All-Time

I don't about "All-Time", but - in respect to their particular genres - here's a just a few of many albums that I consider monumental masterpieces and/or timeless classics, from cover to cover...
                • Al Di Meola - Land of the Midnight Sun
                • Joe Satriani - Surfing with the Alien and Time Machine (the live portion of it)
                • Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon & A Momentary Lapse of Reason
                • Van Halen - Every DLR-era album
                • Metallica - Master of Puppets and And Justice for All
                • Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime & Empire
                • The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta & Synchronicity
                • Sade - Diamond Life & Love Deluxe
                • Bob Marley - Babylon By Bus (live)
                • UB40 - CCCP: Live in Moscow (out of print?)
                • Grease - The original movie soundtrack (since someone else here mentioned SNF)
                • Makaha Sons - Kuikawa
                • Kalapana - Back in Your Heart (out of print?)

I agree (for the most part) with everyone else here on their picks. I could never pick only 10 albums. There's just way too much good music in so many genres recorded up to this date for to limit that amount.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by kukui_nut View Post
                  IMO:
                  (not neccessarily in order here)

1. Sgt. Peppers - Beatles (One word....History)
                  2. White Album - Beatles
                  3. Abbey Road - Beatles
                  4. Aja - Steely Dan
                  5. Boston - Boston (1st one)
                  6. Toys in the Attic - Aerosmith
                  7. A Night at the Opera - Queen
                  8. Van Halen - Van Halen (1st)
                  9. Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
                  10.Rumours - Fleetwood Mac

(Dang! 10 is waaaay not enough!!)
                  Good choice. Most of those albums are from my high school days.

Comment

1. Hendrix, Band of Gypsies
                    2. Led Zep, Physical Graffiti
                    3. Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon
                    4. Doolin Rakes, Irishman in Paradise (still in production)
                    Don't be mean,
                    try to help.

Comment

It was 40 years ago today, that The Beatles' landmark album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was released for the first time. Yep, 1967 was a long time ago and I was only a kid... but when I heard various tracks from it on the radio, I surely wanted to get it and eventually did! One of the best albums of all time. Unforgettable music including the title track, "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," "Lovely Rita," "When I'm 64", "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite" and the epic "A Day in the Life" among others. Truly a classic worthy of iTunes play today, and everyday if possible!

Thanks for 40 years of great memorable music!

Last edited by mel; June 1, 2007, 07:29 PM. Reason: added photo
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

No one ever listens or lists country....
                        Like Alabama~ Alabama - Greatest Hits
                        Or maybe anyone else country who is a legend.

I must be the minority. Including country in my CD collection.
                        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                        Sharing withother survivors...
                        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
                          No one ever listens or lists country....
                          Like Alabama~ Alabama - Greatest Hits
                          Or maybe anyone else country who is a legend.

I must be the minority. Including country in my CD collection.
                          Hawaii, Honolulu in particular, is probably not very big on country music. If you look at the history of country radio in Hawaii, it has been only marginally successful through the years. Hawaii's had its moments in country music, but the genre was and has never been as popular as rock, top 40, Hawaiian, and lately reggae, hip hop and other forms of music.

For about 4 years Honolulu did not have a country music station until KHCM hit the airwaves on the AM dial about 2003 to fill the void. We had one FM country station in Honolulu, but it only lasted from about 1988 to 1991. Maui still has one full time FM country station which has been in that format for about 10 years now at 94.3 on the dial. Last I checked the Big island has one in the Hilo area too. So there are niches.

If you go out into the country like on the Big Island of Hawaii, possibly Maui and on some of the military bases, you will find an audience for country music. My mom grew up with the music and I have over the years listened to a lot of older country stars and legend to the point that I have a small collection of LPs, 45s and CDs in my inventory of thousands of recordings.

My favorite artists are the classics: Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, Marty Robbins, Tammy Wynette, Elvis Presley (he recorded a bunch of country tracks), Willie Nelson, Alan Jackson, and Randy Travis to name a few.

It seems to me that country music is driven more by hit singles vs. memorable albums.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Hey Mel! Thanks for that information. I had no idea.
                            It really was informative to me. So thanks.
                            I didn't understand country was not around as much, I guess as Hawaiian music is not a main station in Oregon or Virginia either. Hmmm...go figure.

OH! And I recently saw randy Travis in concert! wow I loved that, he puts on a real old style gospel almost country music show...very cool. Brought me to tears many songs.

But I do have to disagree that there are MANY full albums in country that are highly successful. Randy Travis having 2 and Reba, and the Judds as well.
                            Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                            Sharing withother survivors...
                            www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                              Hawaii, Honolulu in particular, is probably not very big on country music.
                              That's probably why Melveen Leed heads for Nashville when she makes country recordings, rather than using locals. Ledward Ka`apana has a healthy respect for country's roots - that shows up in some of his music to a degree, but pure country? Not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
                                But I do have to disagree that there are MANY full albums in country that are highly successful. Randy Travis having 2 and Reba, and the Judds as well.
                                Oh yes there are, I won't disagree with that. Country albums sell in the millions too just like other popular music. From a historic perspective, I can hardly think of many country albums that stand out on their own in terms of a complete package. The one that stands out for me is Johnny Cash live At Folsom Prison on Columbia Records.

Perhaps it is my interest in country music was late in coming and that most of the songs I know were hit singles and reissued on many compilation albums which are certainly popular if you just want to get all the hits.

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                                That's probably why Melveen Leed heads for Nashville when she makes country recordings, rather than using locals. Ledward Ka`apana has a healthy respect for country's roots - that shows up in some of his music to a degree, but pure country? Not so much.
                                It is kind of funny to think that Hawaii artists don't record country and when they do they go elsewhere. BTW, didn't the steel guitar become popular in Hawaii before it was widely adopted by country music?

I think if we had to gather all of the country music albums produced in Hawaii we couldn't even fill one single LP crate with them. The only one besides the handful of Melveen Leed albums that I can think of is by Becky Mello, who first appeared on the Homegrown II album and later came out with one single album (the I have) in 1978 or so. Any other Hawaii produced country albums a country fan should know about?
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X