Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Hawaiian Bands of All Time

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
    Maybe because Jawaiian is a pure rip off of Jamaican music and a disgrace to the Hawaiian music scene.

How would we like it if some country western band tries to sing Hawaiian songs and destroys the essence in it's purity? On this board we'd rip that band apart for trying to sound local while not setting one foot on our Aina.

When you hear a non-local try to talk pidgin we all cringe at their attempts. How do you think Jamaicans feel when some Hawaiian band tries to do da reggae ting man! We begin to sound as bad as some white guy trying to talk like one moke! It just doesn't sound right. Keep the beat...lose the fake accent and keep it pure!
    Hmm,

Compared to the "dancehall reggae" of Bob Marley's progeny, some "Jawaiian" artists, like Chief Ragga, can pretty much hold their own.

So what do you think of artists like Fiji and O-Shen?

Cheers,

Jonah K
    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
      Maybe because Jawaiian is a pure rip off of Jamaican music and a disgrace to the Hawaiian music scene.

How would we like it if some country western band tries to sing Hawaiian songs and destroys the essence in it's purity? On this board we'd rip that band apart for trying to sound local while not setting one foot on our Aina.

When you hear a non-local try to talk pidgin we all cringe at their attempts. How do you think Jamaicans feel when some Hawaiian band tries to do da reggae ting man! We begin to sound as bad as some white guy trying to talk like one moke! It just doesn't sound right. Keep the beat...lose the fake accent and keep it pure!
      no, its not a rip-off; it is its own. The influences are there, but I don't believe in sanctifying (mummifying if you will) culture to the point of disallowing evolution to take its course. The beat is the influence, but it has allowed some very talent local kids of these last two generations to make a voice for themselves.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
        Aloha Pua'i Mana'o,

I thought I wrote that H?'aikane was a "innovators" of "Jawaiian" music, not an "originator" of it. The Peter Moon Band with it's "Guava Jelly" and "Cane Fire" on the 1982 "Cane Fire" album was probably the first band to play what later evolved into "Jawaiian" music. Butch Helemano's 1987 "Sugar & Spice" was probably the first full "Jawaiian" album, but Butch and his "Players of Instruments" got so into it, that it's actually a "reggae" album that just happened to be produced in Hawai'i Ne'i. As a result, Bruddah Waltah's 1990 "Hawaiian Reggae" is probably the first full "Jawaiian" album by default. Brother Noland also made major contributions to "Jawaiian" music.

With the Tatofi brothers, K?pena is probably more of a "South Pacific" band" than a Hawaiian band.

Cheers,

Jonah K
        gayah! Do I know you in r/l?? I SWAYER you talk just like my relatives do on the subject. All I gotta do to start petty sh*t is say something like "Uncle Willie K is arguably the best Hawaiian guitarist" and the 'ohana will sting that like rabid hornets, buzzing on about his iükuleli and his Molakayee woman.

<runs fleeing>

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
          no, its not a rip-off; it is its own. The influences are there, but I don't believe in sanctifying (mummifying if you will) culture to the point of disallowing evolution to take its course. The beat is the influence, but it has allowed some very talent local kids of these last two generations to make a voice for themselves.
          You call a reggae-wannbee, wedding singer-coverband talent? Maybe if these "Local Kids" wrote something original like Na Leo did with Local Boyz, they might get my respect.
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

Another classic band no one, including myself, mentioned is the Hui O'hana. I still say Dennis Pavao had the sweetest falsetto voice in Hawaii.

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
              Another classic band no one, including myself, mentioned is the Hui O'hana. I still say Dennis Pavao had the sweetest falsetto voice in Hawaii.
              "Hui O'hana"? Sounds like an Irish/Hawaiian band (if you leave the `okina there.)

Oh, and no argument on Dennis's voice - unmistakably beautiful.

Comment

Don't forget Hui O'toole's.

yep Dennis, no ka oi!

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                  Don't forget Hui O'toole's.

yep Dennis, no ka oi!
                  LOL... I feel Irish

Flickr

Comment

LOL... I feel Irish
                    Would it be acceptable to wish a "top o' the kakahiaka" to you?

Or at least "magically delicious"?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                      Would it be acceptable to wish a "top o' the kakahiaka" to you?

Or at least "magically delicious"?
                      LOL! You made my day

Flickr

Comment

I was the drummer/vocalist for The Jasper Rose Band for 5 years (1970s) who played next to Ox (pre-Seawind) in Waikiki at O'Pehrs club and I was the drummer/vocalist for The Delta Band for 8 years (1980's). Both bands were good and under-rated. We may have been the first live band to play reggae music in Waikiki in the mid-seventies. We had original music and played concert warmups for the Elvin Bishop Band, the Manhattans and Rick Springfield at the NBC arena, and we were all good friends with the members of Shnazz. Frank Kam, guitarist from Shnazz who is now with Coconut Joe, was a guitarist in The Delta Band for a few years. Those were great times and I will always love Hawaii and its music. We became good friends with many of the local Hawaiian musicians of that time.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                          Let me see...

2 of the same Shnazz LPs.
                          1 of the same Shnazz cassette.
                          1 45 RPM single of "I Think We're Alone Now" b/w "Bad Boys"

1 CD that I converted from either the LP or the tape using iMic and Final Vinyl imported into my Power Mac G4. Converted to MP3 in iTunes. Several songs now on my iPod.

Hope that helps. Yes, Shnazz was a one hit wonder, but I liked them. Seen them in 1980 in Waikiki. They were good.
                          I also like "I Want To Jump On Your Bones" and "Surrender".

I seen Burnin' Vernon Sakata at Good Guys Music. I had Jelly's convert my Shnazz LP to CD and also Teazer's LP.
                          Last edited by na alii; April 7, 2007, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                            "The Fritz" was a nut! Do you remember the "I Wanna Jump On Your Bones" video, in which he was wearing a skel-suit?
                            Fritz as he looks today.

Comment

Is that the same Fritz who is/was with "Don Tiki"?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                                Is that the same Fritz who is/was with "Don Tiki"?
                                Fritz Hasenpusch aka "The Fritz" was the lead singer for the local rock band "Shnazz" and also a DJ with a radio station.

Comment

Working...
                                X