Rolling Stones in Concert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rolling Stones in Concert

It looks like Mick is taking time off now, which is causing most of November's shows to be rescheduled:

http://www.rollingstones.com/news/news.php?uid=597

They are playing in LA on 11/22.

Comment

Basically, the Stones are telling their fans in Hawaii to shove it.

Other shows get rescheduled. Ours gets canceled.

Auwe.

Comment

I hear Mick blew out his voice. That's what he gets, for performing for Bill Clinton on Sunday.

NY Daily News

Mick's on a roll at Clinton's birthday bash Mick Jagger played his guitar - and the crowd - brilliantly at Sunday's 60th-birthday concert for Bill Clinton at the Beacon Theater. "I feel sorry for President Clinton," Jagger told an audience that included Hillary and Chelsea Clinton, former Czech President Vaclav Havel, Sheryl Crow, Michael J. Fox, Elvis Costello and Diana Krall, Michael Stipe, Courtney Love, Matt Lauer, Richard Belzer, Mario Batali and Democratic organizers like Steve Bing, Ron Burkle and Terry McAuliffe. "President Kennedy had Marilyn Monroe at his birthday party. I thought about wearing a dress. But then I thought, ‘I'd better not.'"

There was more, but I don't want to run afoul of any copyright laws.

I heard the cancellation news right after 8 a.m. when I punched over from a newscast to The Big Kahuna. I swear, PM Drive guy Dave Lawrence is ON IT (he did a call-in about it). Morning guy Ed Kanoi's taking time off, by the way, for the birth of his son, Ezekiel, on Friday. Congrats, Ed!

But six pounds? Geez. I'm sure it was no picnic for Angelique, but it coulda been worse! Mine were 9 lbs. 14 and a half ozs.; 9 lbs, 15 ozs.; and the twins were 5-14 and 6-7 ... and they were born 3.5 weeks EARLY! (and yes, I'm done, okay?)

Back OT ... I remember seeing the Stones with my forever love a few years back ... that lady with the red sequined dress working the stage and the crowd, the whole Bridges to Babylon thing ... choice!
        I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

I'll tellya what. If George Thorogood decides to make the trip anyway and do us a show, I'll be there. I wasn't too thrilled about the Stones at that price, but I'd pay a fair price for George as the headliner.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
            Basically, the Stones are telling their fans in Hawaii to shove it.

Other shows get rescheduled. Ours gets canceled.

Auwe.
            I think there's a couple of reasons. In shuffling the shows around, I suspect Hawaii had the smaller audience (less $) and it took more time to get things out here and back, so it was the least "damage" to them and opened things up the most to cancel us. Just another sunshine tax for being way the heck out here. Then again, it's possible they couldn't get the stadium for a rescheduled show.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
              In shuffling the shows around, I suspect Hawaii had the smaller audience (less $) and it took more time to get things out here and back, so it was the least "damage" to them and opened things up the most to cancel us.
              Thanks for stating the obvious.

Again, a big AUWE to the Rolling Stones for blowing off their fans in Hawaii. Just because it makes good business sense doesn't mean we have to be happy about the decision.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                Just another sunshine tax for being way the heck out here.
                That's a great way to phrase it, GG. It's one of those cases where it's NOT lucky you live Hawai`i. But for all those residents who whine about the bad cultural things that get brought into the Islands from elsewhere (like, oh...I dunno...the Mainland, perhaps?), this is the other side of the same coin.

Doesn't mean I think you should get screwed out of stuff like this, however; the circumstances are more than a bit smelly.

Comment

The word on the street is that the cancellation has something to do with keeping Keith Richards from climbing palm trees and curtailing the resultant penguin diving. Legal stuff.

That is jus' what I heard....
                  You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Whew. To think when the Stones show was announced my wife and I considered selling our U2 tickets to see them instead.

Then again, the U2 has been put off once already...

Still, I wonder if the proximity to another big stadium show in relatively small Hawaii (it's not like fans can bus in from another state) had something to do with this? Considering the choice we had to make versus seeing U2, maybe ticket sales for the Stones were just too weak to justify the risk and logistics.

Comment

I think the cancellation was merely a question of logistics. The Stones put on a huuuuuge production, and I recall that they use at least 30 or 40 container loads for all the equipment. Shipping all of that is a major issue, as is scheduling, since they need a few days to set up and a few days to tear down, and there's a conflict with that and the UH football games in the stadium.
                      If the concert had been scheduled after football season is over, I'm 99% sure we would've seen it rescheduled.
                      No conspiracy and no anti-Hawai`i issues involved.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I'd point to slow ticket sales, driving everything else. All the logistics would've been worth it if they knew they were going to make a fortune.

Those ridiculous ticket prices, for a show scheduled so close to another big-ticket concert, likely kept local fans away... and the Stones ain't going to set up in Hawaii to lose money.

Comment

Even though I did buy tickets, I would have to say I admire those that did not because they are way too expensive. I will be able to buy alot of groceries with the money I get refunded. It seems like 20 years ago concert tickets were 12 dollars, then 10 years ago they were 24 and 5 years ago they were $100.

And forget the "service" and "convenience" charges we pay to ticketmaster.

Nevertheless, it would have been a good show, and it hurts.
                          You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                            I think the cancellation was merely a question of logistics. The Stones put on a huuuuuge production, and I recall that they use at least 30 or 40 container loads for all the equipment. Shipping all of that is a major issue, as is scheduling, since they need a few days to set up and a few days to tear down, and there's a conflict with that and the UH football games in the stadium.
                            If the concert had been scheduled after football season is over, I'm 99% sure we would've seen it rescheduled.
                            No conspiracy and no anti-Hawai`i issues involved.
                            I'd have to say it does have to do w/ logistics... but doesn't everyone remember the concert they held on the Big Island for only 4000 people back in 98?
                            The rumoured secret show on the big island of Hawaii did really happen.
                            I've mentioned it before on HT... can't seem to find it right now...
                            https://www.iorr.org/iorr32/pepsi.htm

That was all about the money.... I mean the Stones coming in to Kona at the time almost shut down all Coca Cola sales on the Kona side of the island because it was sponsored by Pepsi!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                              Actually, dismantling the concert set-up and taking everything out of Aloha Stadium would have taken only one day. That was the case when the Stones performed here in 1998, and it is the norm for all of their outdoor stadium shows.

The TRUE reason for the cancellation was disappointing ticket sales coupled with the larger expenses associated with traveling all the way to Hawaii. Up until the cancellation announcement, quite a number of seats were still available, even after one month of ticket sales to the public. This was in sharp contrast to '98, when sales were so brisk in the first few days, a second Aloha Stadium show was added in short order. The November tour date reshuffling on the mainland (supposedly necessitated by Jagger's bum throat) gave the Stones a convenient excuse to cancel Honolulu out and to cut their losses.

The really bad thing about this is that the Stones' management probably views a Hawaii stop as being unprofitable, and we're not likely to be scheduled on the itinerary of any future tours. (Bigger Bang won't be their swan song, I think. Those "last concert tour ever" rumors have been going on for 25 years now!)

The cancellation stinks, but what can we do?
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Frankie hit it on the head. POOR TICKET SALES! I logged on to ticketmaster last week and could still buy 28th row tickets. Plus there were good seats available in all ticket prices. Add in the availablity of dates inbetween UH Football games, breaking down the stage with all their equipment. And last but not least, throw in the other concerts in town, U2, Pearl Jam and Billy Joel. The entertainment dollar in this town was spread out.

If the Rolling Stones was the only concert in town, ticket sales would have been better. Attention concert promoters, please take these factors in mind when booking acts. The chances of the Rolling Stones returning to Hawaii will not happen again, if they ever tour again.

But I believe Nachodaddy was really correct, keeping Keith Richards out of the palm trees in Hawaii.

Comment

Working...
                                X