Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: (c)rap music

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
    Meh...those on the outside of the hip hop culture don't understand it. you'd have to live it to know what it is.
    if ya aint from the streets, you cant understand the streets?
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
      if ya aint from the streets, you cant understand the streets?
      Not necessarily. Hip hop isn't all about "the streets".
      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I stick with the Duke Ellington theory--there's really only two types of music...good or bad. Judge each piece on its individual merit.

Comment

Meh...those on the outside of the hip hop culture don't understand it. you'd have to live it to know what it is.
          So tell us how "inside" hip hop culture you are Mike. I'd love to hear this.
          http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
          Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
          Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

B-boyin, art, writing/sharing my rhymes...

...politics, education (focusing on comparative culture).

Hip hop transcends music. Don't confuse hip hop with what you see on MTV--otherwise, hip hop is dead.

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery
            Keep in mind that hip-hop is a full-fledged culture--no longer a subculture. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, hip-hop is intrinsically created. Rap is a social construction. What you see portrayed in the media as hip-hop is actually rap. hmm...I think I should start a completely new thread on this, because I could go on fo' dayz with this.

Originally from http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=5103
            Last edited by Mike_Lowery; November 1, 2006, 08:27 PM.
            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Just because it's rap, that doesn't make it Hip-Hop.

Mike is right. If you think Hip-Hop is what you see on MTV or listen to on commercial radio, you're sorely mistaken.

Comment

Anyone here a fan of Immortal Technique?

His music is intense, political, intelligent... and he's got style. I like him a lot. Check him out, if you haven't heard of him. I think I saw his latest album at the Tower Records on Keeamoku.

Comment

ure).

Hip hop transcends music. Don't confuse hip hop with what you see on MTV--otherwise, hip hop is dead.
                  I admit that I'm no hip-hop connoiseur, but some of the best things I've heard have been on the Lightsleepers' show on KTUH. Those of you at Manoa from the mid-90s till about recently should remember Kavet the Catalyst and his weekly show, and the stuff he featured was definitely way better than the mainstream stuff everyone knows.
                  Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                  We're not here to mess around
                  Boston, you know we love you madly
                  Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                  Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                  You know we couldn't live without you
                  Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                    Just because it's rap, that doesn't make it Hip-Hop.
                    Mike is right. If you think Hip-Hop is what you see on MTV or listen to on commercial radio, you're sorely mistaken.
                    Oh really....wow, I didn't know that, y'know, with me being born yesterday and all....

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                      Oh really....wow, I didn't know that, y'know, with me being born yesterday and all....
                      Well, when you reference music from 20 years ago, and admit that you don't listen to anything current, it shows me you might be a little ignorant when it comes to quality Hip-Hop from today's artists.

Lately, I've been enjoying me some Lupe Fiasco and Bleu Davinci. The new Rass Kass is pretty good, too.

And please, tell me what you know about Creed Chameleon and Big Mox.

Comment

I feel like I had to admit this: I don't listen to music. Crap is evident in intent.
                        Don't be mean,
                        try to help.

Comment

Well, when you reference music from 20 years ago, and admit that you don't listen to anything current, it shows me you might be a little ignorant when it comes to quality Hip-Hop from today's artists.

Lately, I've been enjoying me some Lupe Fiasco and Bleu Davinci. The new Rass Kass is pretty good, too.

And please, tell me what you know about Creed Chameleon and Big Mox.
                          Whether or not I know your laundry list of current "quality" hip hop artists has nothing to do with whether or not I know that "Hip Hop" is not what you see on MTV or that it's different than "rap".

See, the difference is, I won't assume you're "ignorant" about rock because you wouldn't know my laundry list of bands I think are worth listening to.

That being said, I checked out Big Mox, and it was refreshing to hear a distinct lack of "bitches and ho's" in the lyrics, and some positivity, which is what I like about old Hip Hop. The old shool 70's RnB style of the tracks was nice too.

Comment

Just like any other music genre, there's certainly some rap (c)rap, but I respect most of them as talented artists who take their music seriously and with passion.

Some artists I've either owned albums of (long ago!), or liked some of their hits include:
                            • Kurtis Blow (the pioneer who started it all!)
                            • Sugar Hill Gang
                            • Rob Base (Joy and Pain!)
                            • MC Hammer
                            • Eazy E (never cared for NWA)
                            • 2 Live Crew (XXX)
                            • Too Short (XXX)
                            • Special Ed
                            • Mantronix
                            • Vanilla Ice (yes I admit, I had that album.. and really liked it actually!)

Those are most of the old school stuff I had. Not bad for someone who was more into Metal. I like some new rap out there too, just can't think of it right now.

Gosh, that music brings memories of Fridays at Bobby McGee's! Remember that place? Now it's Diamond Head Grill at the "W".
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                              See, the difference is, I won't assume you're "ignorant" about rock because you wouldn't know my laundry list of bands I think are worth listening to.
                              Good, because I'm not ignorant about rock either.

Everybody has their own taste. But to say that there isn't ANYTHING worth listening to? Please.

And I didn't assume anything. Your previous posts are proof enough for me.

Comment

Good, because I'm not ignorant about rock either.
                                Everybody has their own taste. But to say that there isn't ANYTHING worth listening to? Please.

And I didn't assume anything. Your previous posts are proof enough for me.

Proof of what ? That you can't read correctly ? ...because I said this...
                                "The stuff now, I just can't listen to."

I didn't say there was "nothing worth listening to".

I was stating MY OWN tastes, not saying that all the new stuff is bad, or that your favorite artists are worthless.

You're really quick to jump on folks around here, like myself, manoa, Leo Lakio, and anyone else who you feel has no right to speak their mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X