Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: (c)rap music

Tikiyaki...

No worry to much about PJ. The nicer you try to be to him... the more of a Donkey he becomes.

But at least thanks for noting that he does jump all over me... however, he is not the ONLY one.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
      Tikiyaki...

No worry to much about PJ. The nicer you try to be to him... the more of a Donkey he becomes.

But at least thanks for noting that he does jump all over me... however, he is not the ONLY one.
      Well, manoa, it's all about being respectful. If I've you've ever felt I was being disrespectful towards you, I apologize, and in the midst of anything we've disagreed on, I've always liked you, your posts, and your respect towards others. :-)

Hope I never seemed like one of the jumpers. I've never seen you make personal attacks like this guy does, and I commend that, and it bothers me that he trolls people without provocation, you especially, cos he really seems to single you out.
      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Nope youv'e never offended me... I find it very hard to get offended on here.

I don't know why others do get so easily offended...

Tikiyaki, I like the way you write and I also like your Nickname... You should think about making some sort of Sauce called Tikiyaki!!!! Sounds good enough to EAT!

PJ and I go back and forth... I try my best to ignore him w/out having to resort to the Ignore button.

Comment

Jumping back to the topic at hand; some of these points have been made already, but I'm putting my spin on them ---

Because of my career, I follow a LOT of musical styles, whether I personally like them or not. Rap and Hip-Hop (which intersect, but are not the same) are styles that I listen to in small doses, because the music fails to resonate with me. No big deal there - I listen to other stuff that doesn't resonate with anyone else sometimes.

Yes - there is some really, really crappy rap available. There's a lot of really crappy pop music, too, and crappy rock, crappy metal, crappy speed garage, crappy classical, crappy jazz, crappy techno, and crappy Hawaiian. There's rock with misogynistic and/or violent lyrics, made by spoiled bratty rich white boys.

There is danger in generalizing anything, and that includes a musical or artistic form. Not understanding or being into rap doesn't make it, as a genre, crap or non-musical. The epithet of "that's not music" has been flung at all kinds of sounds that don't fit the mainstream of the time - everything from Igor Stravinsky to Charlie Parker to The Kingsmen to Philip Glass.

Hip-hop owes a debt to Charles Amirkhanian's lyrical text compositions, to Lawrence Ferlinghetti's beat poems, to Gil Scott-Heron's pointed political jazz songs; it's an evolutionary point on a scale that will go places that we can't imagine. It's already doing so; look how much of this thread talks about older rap and newer rap - the innovations of today will be old-school five years from now.

You don't have to understand it - you don't have to listen to it or even like it one bit. But don't classify it all as crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            [...]styles that I listen to in small doses, because the music fails to resonate with me. No big deal there - I listen to other stuff that doesn't resonate with anyone else sometimes.[...]
            BINGO! My musical sentiments, exactly. A song must touch my soul the first time I hear it for me to listen to it a 2nd time. Genre really doesn't matter altho' my iTunes might indicate otherwise! Jazz, Hawaiian, gospel and R&B/soul are dominant. I have just 2 hip hop/rap tunes (as iTunes labels them) that I purchased...both by Quincy Jones! When my daughter was visiting and those 2 songs played on my iPod she looked at me and said, "Mom? You?"!!! This after my (former hip hop/rap loving) daughter told me about her newest, favorite CD...Andrea Bocelli's "Amore"!

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
              You're really quick to jump on folks around here, like myself, manoa, Leo Lakio, and anyone else who you feel has no right to speak their mind.
              I didn't jump on you at all. I stated my opinion, and you came back with a wise-ass remark. Funny how you talk about respect when you don't show much yourself.

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
              I've never seen you make personal attacks like this guy does, and I commend that, and it bothers me that he trolls people without provocation, you especially, cos he really seems to single you out.
              You haven't been on HT long enough then. And the difference between a troll and myself is that the troll runs away. I ain't going anywhere.

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              You don't have to understand it - you don't have to listen to it or even like it one bit. But don't classify it all as crap.
              Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                This after my (former hip hop/rap loving) daughter told me about her newest, favorite CD...Andrea Bocelli's "Amore"!
                Whoa! That Andrea Bocelli stuff should come in an asbestos jewel case! That is some hot hot hot, high grade honi honi music!

Comment

Working...
                X