Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Diamond Head Crater Festivals

For those who whined about ticket prices for The Eagles, check this out:

"Diamond Head Crater's future as a concert venue will depend on how well the crowd behaves at the April 1 concert.
    "The April 1 show, featuring the Steve Miller Band and War, will be the first public concert held in the crater since its heyday as a venue in the 1970s. General admission for the concert will be $125 and reserved seats will cost $150 to $175."

Full story at http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...0340/1190/NEWS

Eagles tickets were a steal compared to this!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

>>>General admission for the concert will be $125 and reserved seats will cost $150 to $175<<<

With tix limited to 7,500, prices gotta be high to pay for the show. Kinda silly if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
        For those who whined about ticket prices for The Eagles, check this out:

"Diamond Head Crater's future as a concert venue will depend on how well the crowd behaves at the April 1 concert.
        "The April 1 show, featuring the Steve Miller Band and War, will be the first public concert held in the crater since its heyday as a venue in the 1970s. General admission for the concert will be $125 and reserved seats will cost $150 to $175."

Full story at http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...0340/1190/NEWS

Eagles tickets were a steal compared to this!
        "Richard Turbin a Kahala resident, who attended some of those concerts 30 years ago, was excited to have a concert return to the crater. However, the price of tickets for the April 1 concert, he said, made it seem like only the rich could afford to go. Thirty years ago a ticket cost $5, Turbin said."

Seems like these recent concerts are in the mid $100.00 range. I still remember paying $5.50 for concert tickets at the HIC(Honolulu International Center) aka Blaisdell Arena.

Comment

Uh, those prices are nuts. Maybe I might reprise my attendance of the 1970s shindigs by taking a hike that day... hehehe.

If the event is dependent on crowd behavior and they're charging ridiculous prices for the event, I would imagine a bunch of folks might be tempted to crash the party.

And really, at $125 general admission, they need to come up with a bigger name than Steve Miller. I LOVE Steve Miller, have his albums. But I won't pay $125 for the cheap seats to see him.

The other people on the bill I can see for free on any Saturday at Kapiolani Park.

Maybe if Steve Miller were warming up for the Rolling Stones in Diamond Head, they'd have sold out already!

Blaine
          Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
            And really, at $125 general admission, they need to come up with a bigger name than Steve Miller. I LOVE Steve Miller, have his albums. But I won't pay $125 for the cheap seats to see him.
            Steve Miller is one of the biggest names on the radio. You can sing along to his greatest hits album, usually word for word, from beginning to end. You might not WANT to (especially on "Abracadabra"), but you know you could.

However, they do need to add someone ELSE to the bill for that price. War is just not interesting enough, and they play here all the time. How would you feel about $125 for Steve Miller and, say, Deep Purple? Or Steve Miller and John Mellencamp? Or Steve Miller and Neil Young?

Argh. I was really looking forward to this, too, but not at $250. I'll use that money instead to get two tickets for each night of Elvis Costello.
            Last edited by scrivener; January 18, 2006, 07:15 PM. Reason: "black panties with an angel's face . . ."
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

hELL NO! I won't Go! I going stick to Chinatown...moa cheap! Betta action and music!!!!!

Auntie Lynn

...dem days of past is past!
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                Uh, those prices are nuts. Maybe I might reprise my attendance of the 1970s shindigs by taking a hike that day... hehehe.
                [...]Blaine
                Some of my favorite concerts at the Shell have been "experienced" from Kapiolani Park, complete with a full scale picnic. Other times, my ex and I would get a room at the Kaimana, ewa side, call room service, sit on the lanai and enjoy the concert, view and food! A Hall and Oates concert comes to mind! Of course, that was a few decades ago when one didn't have to mortgage the house to pay for a hotel room!

Comment

Linda Ronstadt has just been added to the lineup. See http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../br/br07p.html .

But they'll still have to add a helluva lot more 'stars' to justify the outrageous ticket prices.

Comment

It is no longer a dh crater festival. to charge 150 per hit and do it in the crater is well, kinda sacriledge. It has nothing to do with the old tradition we knew back then. "Reserved seats." what kinda bull is that?! back then we had... what was it, 5 stages to choose from? and we all sat around on da grass (no jokes) and dug it.

seats!?
                    reserved??!!
                    aaaaah c'mon!

This kinda exclusive yuppie thing should be held elsewhere. and bring back the old style crater festival.
                    Last edited by kimo55; January 25, 2006, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Well, not even adding Linda Ronstadt to the bill can persuade me to shell out $125 to attend. I don't think there is anyone they can add that would make me do that.

Comment

I guess you could always wait until a DVD of the festival was produced and see the show for $19.95 instead of $125. But the "gestalt" of being among other concertgoers would be lost. There will never be another "Age of Woodstock" generation!

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

If Santana and/or Fleetwood Mac join the bill then maybe I would consider going but they need to bring in another big name act or two.

Jackson Browne or Neil Young as mentioned before would be good choices.

Anyone see Jackson Browne's show with Jack Johnson last year?

KalihiBoy

Comment

I'm not going to this....but Steve Miller, War, and Linda Ronstadt are 3 pretty good acts. And I had heard on KSSK that (and I think of kimo's "yuppie" comment when I think of this) there will be food booths from Hawaii's top chefs, sorta like a "Taste of Honolulu"-type deal. If this is true, I'd say this would be a pretty good deal. but definitely NOT quite the atmosphere of the old Crater Festivals. I already spent my allowance on U2 tickets....

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy
                              there will be food booths from Hawaii's top chefs, sorta like a "Taste of Honolulu"-type deal. If this is true, I'd say this would be a pretty good deal.
                              But is the food free or will folks have to dig into their already-depleted wallets (as I expect is the case)?
                              Anyone know? (Not that it makes any difference to me personally. I'm not going to the show. I'm just curious.)

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                                But is the food free or will folks have to dig into their already-depleted wallets (as I expect is the case)?
                                Anyone know? (Not that it makes any difference to me personally. I'm not going to the show. I'm just curious.)
                                I seriously doubt the food will be free. Heck, if you can afford the price of the tickets, you should be able to afford the $10-15 pate on toast appetizers and wine spritzers! You know those "top Honolulu chefs" aren't going to be plating any old $4.99 bento boxes!

Miulang
                                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X