Diamond Head Crater Festivals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Diamond Head Crater Festivals

I remember my very first festival - Santana was the "mystery" performer. My brother & I came out of the tunnel just as he started playing - I knew right away who it was & was totally thrilled!

I still have the 1977 poster - all framed & in perfect condition. It has hung on my walls for many years now. I spotted the poster in the window of that old record store (Rainbow?) that was at 404 Piikoi building - the day after the festival, I was there begging for the poster. They sold it to me for $5! That was also the festival where the skydivers jumped right into the middle of the crowd. My brother was one of the jumpers & I have a picture of his landing someplace - he said it was pretty cool!

Fran
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
      I spotted the poster in the window of that old record store (Rainbow?) that was at 404 Piikoi building - the day after the festival, I was there begging for the poster.
      If it was the day after the concert, you're talking about Records Hawaii, which later moved to Beretania (same building as Owen and Owen Photography). In between, it was the unofficial Menudo headquarters in Hawaii.

Jelly's was also in that building at 404, but of course that was a decade later.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
        I remember my very first festival - Santana was the "mystery" performer. My brother & I came out of the tunnel just as he started playing - I knew right away who it was & was totally thrilled!

Fran
        Oh yeahhh!!! I was there!!!! Do you have the album "Santana and Buddy Miles Live"? That's the recording of that concert inside Diamond Head! I have it!

Inside the album is a double-spread photo taken from the stage behind the drummer.

I was about to leave that day and made my way from the stage area toward the tunnel. I was passing the sound booth on my way out when I heard one of the technicians say, "Everybody ready for Carlos?"

U-TURN!!! BEE-LINE FOR THE STAGE!!!

I parked right at the fence in front of the stage, front-and-center and stayed there for the entire performance!

When the album came out, I bought it and was thrilled when I saw the center spread photo. I started looking for myself in the photo. The guy standing right next to me was there in his red white and blue jacket. Me? I was covered by the cymbals of the drum kit. BOOOO!!!

Hahahaha! Great show!

Blaine
        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

you're right - it was Records Hawaii. My boyfriend had an office in that building and my photo processor had an "office" up on the roof.

You must know now that I'm old - hard to remember these things

Fran
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

KHON did a brief item on this concert last night. Two names mentioned on the bill, Steve Miller Band and Linda Rondstadt. (War is supposed to be there, as well as local acts like Na Leo and Kenny Endo's taiko group.) Tickets cost well over $100, sales start this weekend.

I still don't get this "revival." I'd have expected the bill to have lots of bands and names on it, even if they are "nostalgia" names... especially with those ticket prices. I know sales are limited to 7,500 people, but you need demand to exceed that supply to charge an arm and a leg!

Comment

what revival?! what are they supposedly reviving?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                what revival?! what are they supposedly reviving?
                "The Living Dead" - from Hawaii's Ice Epidemic!

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

oh, THAT revival. yea, I would pay a hundred bucks to see that group. they're goth, right?

and while i am in da crater, I will gladly pay 18 dollars for some froufrou chef's junk on a styrofoam plate served with flies eaten with plastic entrenching implements in a rustic outdoor setting.
                  heck yea. two, please!

Comment

Just got my tickets from Ticketmasters.

Comment

I'm as big a Ronstadt fan as you could find (at least the early material through about 1975), and I like Steve Miller too, but boy those are some steep prices.

If you go, don't expect to see the slim and sexy Linda; she's put on a lot of weight.
                      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by na alii
                        Just got my tickets from Ticketmasters.
                        WOW! K- rich eh, you? hahaha No forget to take pickchas foa us to see ova hea!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I hope cameras are allowed. I might have to smuggle my camera in.

Comment

Originally posted by na alii
                            I hope cameras are allowed. I might have to smuggle my camera in.
                            I get one Sony Cyber-shotU Video/Camera. You like borrow? Da bugga fits in your palm. You can hide um easy!

Auntie Lynn

I trust you, you know my kid brother!

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                              I get one Sony Cyber-shotU Video/Camera. You like borrow? Da bugga fits in your palm. You can hide um easy!

Auntie Lynn

I trust you, you know my kid brother!
                              I have the same Sony Cyber-shot camera. Model P-92 though. I can easily smuggle in the back of my pants or when I use the baggy cargo pants I can put it in the front pocket.

Comment

They just added Yvonne Elliman to the bill. That definitely adds to my interest; especially if she plays some of that newer stuff she's got going on. Still, you're talking a $250 date here. That's just not going to happen for me.

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                                If you go, don't expect to see the slim and sexy Linda; she's put on a lot of weight.
                                She's still sexy. Just in a different way.
                                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X