• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Diamond Head Crater Festivals

I wonder if it sold out like U2 did?

Comment

Originally Posted by Linkmeister
      If you go, don't expect to see the slim and sexy Linda; she's put on a lot of weight.

Originally posted by scrivener
      They just added Yvonne Elliman to the bill. That definitely adds to my interest; especially if she plays some of that newer stuff she's got going on. Still, you're talking a $250 date here. That's just not going to happen for me.

She's still sexy. Just in a different way.
      Good for you Scriv for saying that! Who says a Woman has to be "Slim" to be "SEXY?" dat is soooo WRONG!!!!!!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

In his defense, Linkmeister never said Linda is no longer sexy.

If you're curious, here's a picture of her from 2004. I think she looks great, if not as great as she did in the seventies. But then, neither do I.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
          In his defense, Linkmeister never said Linda is no longer sexy.

If you're curious, here's a picture of her from 2004. I think she looks great, if not as great as she did in the seventies. But then, neither do I.
          My personal opinion? She looks Fabulous, Sophisticated and the DIVA she is!

Lynn

update: 1:20 p.m. Linkmeister, can you please clarify what you ment in your statement. I just had lunch and it is bothering my opu.
          Last edited by 1stwahine; January 28, 2006, 12:22 PM.

Comment

I'm glad they added Linda (and Yvonne too), no matter what size she is. (And she's been heavy for a loooong time now, for those who care.) Most of Linda's recent work has been Spanish language recordings; for the sake of those going to the event, I hope she sticks to the older material.
            I remember back in the late 60s and early 70s visiting a friend who lived in the same building where Linda and Carly Simon used to share an apartment when they were young and still relatively unknown. Often used to hear them practicing... wow.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I'm just sayin' she doesn't look like these cover photos anymore:

http://www.rollingstone.com/photos/g...ge/17/range/12
              http://www.rollingstone.com/photos/g...ge/24/range/12

But she can still sing up a storm. She just issued a new cd called Hummin' to Myself, which goes along with the three big band Nelson Riddle albums she did earlier in her career.
              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Oh, man. Remember that video for "Get Closer?" One of the sexiest videos ever. If she sings that, I might jump her.

Oh yeah. I can't afford tickets. Lucky for her.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Never saw that video. But I remember the Annie Liebovitz photos in that issue (the lower link).
                  http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                    I'm just sayin' she doesn't look like these cover photos anymore:

http://www.rollingstone.com/photos/g...ge/17/range/12
                    http://www.rollingstone.com/photos/g...ge/24/range/12

But she can still sing up a storm. She just issued a new cd called Hummin' to Myself, which goes along with the three big band Nelson Riddle albums she did earlier in her career.
                    Mahalo for the clarification. No celebrity or anybody for that matter looks like they were in their hey day. Example - Don Ho. But the Brother still can sing "Tiny Bubbles" & "I'll Remember You" just like when he was young and in his prime!

Me, I still sing like I always did. When I like look like I used to look...I go moi moi! (In my Dreams, Brah) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! made ya laugh!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

The photo of King Kanehameha is really a crusty old Hawaiian guy named Charlie Kaanoe. I worked with him at the Hawaii Job Corps in the 70's. He acted tough but he was really a nice caring local guy. He played King Kamehameha for the Kodak Hula Show for extra cash.

In 1973 I attended the Crater Festival. I owned a Honda 600 sedan which was about the size of a roller skate. Everyone knows how difficult it was to find a place to park for the festival but my brother and I drove my Honda right up to the street to the entrance and found a spot just big enough for me to stop and we got out and lift my Honda into the spot. I thought folks were going to kick our ass for being able to park that close.

Comment

Wow, Memories! I had forgotten all about the Diamond Head Crater Festivals. I attended a couple when I was in high school. I'm sure my dad has pictures. I'll have to ask him.

Karlene

Comment

Originally posted by henwaddle
                          The photo of King Kanehameha is really a crusty old Hawaiian guy named Charlie Kaanoe. I worked with him at the Hawaii Job Corps in the 70's. He acted tough but he was really a nice caring local guy. He played King Kamehameha for the Kodak Hula Show for extra cash.

In 1973 I attended the Crater Festival. I owned a Honda 600 sedan which was about the size of a roller skate. Everyone knows how difficult it was to find a place to park for the festival but my brother and I drove my Honda right up to the street to the entrance and found a spot just big enough for me to stop and we got out and lift my Honda into the spot. I thought folks were going to kick our ass for being able to park that close.

Honda600? Man I remember them cars. It had a 2 cylinder motor huh?
                          Last edited by na alii; March 19, 2006, 12:08 PM.

Comment

seen da new DH festival commercials?
                            man they are the cheapest cheesiest no budget, no time invested, lowest production values, lowest information, most non-existant info/imagery ever put in a TV spot.

Didn't convey any personality or excitement, energy or motivation to hele on over and pay too much for an event that should be staged at da HIC...
                            Sllllooooowwww moving. same visual of a cartoon DH and spotlites going baaaack and fooorrrtthhh and baaaack and fooorrth and a few names flashed in front.

basically, I don't get it. The crater festival was a hippie happenin thing. The thing they doin now, is a pseudo hip, upscale, overpriced, go there to see and be seen, status event. in diametrical opposition to the sensibilities exemplified back in da day.
                            (wull. I paid a lot to go there and eat overpriced haute cuisine on a plastic plate while spittin out gristle and i was just 16 feet away from Linda Ronstadt!")

Two completely different animals, requiring two completely different veunues.

Comment

besides, i don't think you could pay me a hundred bux to listen to "Desparado" one more time.

Comment

Ok, so the mis spelled advert in the weekly re; the crater celebration...
                                yea. I thot was designed with not much punch at all. the block lettering is not clear. too clunky.
                                made me go to the crater web site. So we see:

"Click here to hear what others have to say about this premier event."

"Click here to hear..." hmmmm.
                                ok.
                                dumb, but ok...
                                so this may make ya think there is audio or video in this page, yer fooled, cuz there is not. just a couple of written quotes....

we see:
                                "A delectable selection of Hawaii regional cuisines will be presented alongside more traditional festival favorites. Beers and wines will be selected to complement the food and festivities."
                                They add "s" to too many things.
                                It is:
                                Cuisine.
                                Beer
                                Wine.

sez:
                                "Steve Miller Band Crater Alumni"
                                What?! "Crater' is a school, college, or university?

I mean c'mon! They are demanding the better half of a two hundred dollar bill for admission to this hoedown and the podunks can't afford anything more than a blasé junior high school level written and amateurish somnambulistic presentation. Looks like it was written and created by a junior paralegal accountant state employee. In a dark closet.
                                We should see animation. Video. Audio.
                                Movement. Excitement. color. fireworks. literally and figuratively. And for the more sedate or sedated in the crowd, a link to this present sleepy cheapy web site.

ok. nitpic fest over.
                                Last edited by kimo55; March 26, 2006, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X