Diamond Head Crater Festivals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Diamond Head Crater Festivals

An emailer to the Star-Bulletin today, revved up by the Linda Ronstadt article, was quite upset that the newspaper website does not contain a database of every concert ever held in Hawaii. Well, SORRY, but that's not the newspaper's job. But it might be a website project for somebody out there...
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I'm curious -- is anyone here on HT actually going to this concert? (Assuming it doesn't get rained out.)
      Or, do you even know anyone who's going?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

saw ron gibson on the news last night saying it would happen, rain or shine...

muddy as f*ck already, from what i saw.

anyone else read the star-bulletin story about all the concerts coming up? was on the front page today.

http://starbulletin.com/2006/03/30/news/story04.html

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
          I'm curious -- is anyone here on HT actually going to this concert? (Assuming it doesn't get rained out.)
          Or, do you even know anyone who's going?
          I'm going. Rain or shine.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
            WOW! K- rich eh, you? hahaha No forget to take pickchas foa us to see ova hea!

Auntie Lynn
            Hea you go Auntie!

Comment

Awesome!

Mahalo,

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Thanks for the photos. A few observations and questions:
                • look at how green the crater is!
                • The symphony was supposed to back Yvonne Elliman, but the symphony had a pops concert at the concert hall this evening (I know, 'cause I was there). About how much time did it have between the end of its set at the crater and its 8:00 curtain at the concert hall? Also, about how many of the symphony musicians were there?
                • I don't know why I think this, but I thought Steve Miller exclusively played Gretsch guitars. Clearly, I was wrong about this.
                • What was the food and drink situation?
                • Did Linda Ronstadt sing "Get Closer?"
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                  Thanks for the photos. A few observations and questions:
                  • look at how green the crater is!
                  • The symphony was supposed to back Yvonne Elliman, but the symphony had a pops concert at the concert hall this evening (I know, 'cause I was there). About how much time did it have between the end of its set at the crater and its 8:00 curtain at the concert hall? Also, about how many of the symphony musicians were there?
                  • I don't know why I think this, but I thought Steve Miller exclusively played Gretsch guitars. Clearly, I was wrong about this.
                  • What was the food and drink situation?
                  • Did Linda Ronstadt sing "Get Closer?"
                  The symphony came on before WAR so they set up first besides Kenny Endo Taiko. Matt Catingub even announced that they have to go to the concert hall after for Elvis Costello. They played for Yvonne and Na Leo Pilimehana. They started around 4:00 and finished around 5:00

The food and drinks was OK. They had a lot of food vendors like Gordon Biersch, and Magoo's.

Steve Miller mainly played the Fender Strat with the single coil pick ups but depending on the song he palyed other guitars. He played for 2 hours from 7:30 - 9:30. He played all his hits from the late 60s through the early 80s.

Here he uses this guitar for "Wild Mountian Honey" It's a 19 string guitar.

I didn't recognize most of Linda's songs. It might of been new material. Kinda of reminded me of Harry Conick music. Though she did sing "Poor Poor Pitiful Me", Blue Bayou, "Just One Look and other old hits at the end. I noticed she didn't sing the cover song hits she had.

Comment

"Blue Bayou" was originally done by Roy Orbison.
                    "Just One Look" is a cover done by others before Linda, including The Hollies and Doris Troy.
                    "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" was done first by Warren Zevon, who also wrote it.

She probably did not sing any of her country cover hits like "Crazy", "I Fall to Pieces" and "When Will I Be Loved".... Linda was great back in the day.

Have to say those near front row pictures are great. Just hope nobody with dialup is accessing this topic thread.

Do concert venues search people from bringing in cameras? What's the deal on that these days? If I had to pay $150 for a concert I would like to walk away with some photos of the thing if possible. You did good on the photos with this one.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                      "Blue Bayou" was originally done by Roy Orbison.
                      "Just One Look" is a cover done by others before Linda, including The Hollies and Doris Troy.

She probably did not sing any of her country cover hits like "Crazy", "I Fall to Pieces" and "When Will I Be Loved".... Linda was great back in the day.

Have to say those near front row pictures are great. Just hope nobody with dialup is accessing this topic thread.

Do concert venues search people from bringing in cameras? What's the deal on that these days? If I had to pay $150 for a concert I would like to walk away with some photos of the thing if possible. You did good on the photos with this one.
                      I snuck my camera in but a whole lot of people brought cameras and they didn't do a search like the Blaisdell. I thought it was really laxed because the ushers didn't even check your stub to make sure you was in the right section. As soon a Steve Miller started lots of people rushed up front. I rushed the stage for Steve Miller that's why the pictures of Steve was close but not for WAR or Linda. Overall I think this venue went good and was worth my money though next time I would come in before the main attractions rather than come early. I got there at 12:30 and the concert finished at 9:30. I predict there will be more concerts in the future with the way it was handle. Now I know why we were bused in. Can you imangine the traffic it would of caused if they allowed people to drive?

Comment

Originally posted by mel

If you remember the soundtrack "FM" Linda has the song "Poor Poor Pitiful Me"
                        on there and in the movie during a concert scene she mentions Waddy Wachtel on guitars and Warren Zevon used Waddy on "Exictable Boy" album.

Comment

Na Alii Thank you for the pics you posted. If there's any way I could persuade you to share more, let me know what that would be. My wife and daughter had cameras when we parked at the Kakaako lot but were told by fellow concert-goers that cameras were not allowed and some had cameras taken away in past concert experiences. So the cameras were left in the car. Come to find out there were cameras everywhere, and people were even snapping amidst the security people along the A/AA section sidelines. Needless to say, wife and daughter were pissed that we missed out on documenting this piece of history.

Comment

Originally posted by Royce
                            Na Alii Thank you for the pics you posted. If there's any way I could persuade you to share more, let me know what that would be. My wife and daughter had cameras when we parked at the Kakaako lot but were told by fellow concert-goers that cameras were not allowed and some had cameras taken away in past concert experiences. So the cameras were left in the car. Come to find out there were cameras everywhere, and people were even snapping amidst the security people along the A/AA section sidelines. Needless to say, wife and daughter were pissed that we missed out on documenting this piece of history.
                            That's funny I too was parked in the Kakaako lot. I boarded the bus at 12:00 but it didn't leave till 12:15. Being a regular concert goer I've always had to smuggle my cameras in. I wore baggy cargo shorts so I stored my camera there. I wished I brought my long lens SLR camera.

Comment

that was a blast. Much better than expected. miller rocked out. he shredded. No, wait. he didn't shred. I dunno. he did well tho. Coulda done without that huge acreage of empty space between the crowd and the stage. Didn't notice any of those elegant restaurants mentioned in the adverts at the event.

while waiting to use one of the portapottys next to the stage, I was kickin the dirt were i stood and unearthed a good pile of those beer pull tabs. just like unearthing decades old indian arrowheads while camping in california in the old days. Thought; what a time capsule... and since this crater is not used much and since last time it WAS used was for a 70's event right about here.... the artifacts wouldn't have been moved much and there they are. almost ebay worthy.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                                I attended several Crater Festivals, beginning while I was still in high school. I was there for the Carlos Santana/Buddy Miles set which was turned into the Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles Live album. The interior gatefold of this double album contains a panorama of the crowd inside the crater, taken from behind Buddy's drum kit.

I worked for Tom Sellers for a while in the '80s. He was the guy who illustrated that glorious woman in a pareu rising from Diamond Head Crater at sunrise on my favorite Sunshine Festival poster.

I have several photos taken "on the grass" sitting in the common peoples' area down in front of the stage. They're not very good, but they are genuine. I'd be willing to scan a few and send them along for your effort.

Taro Patch has a thread on the crater festivals.

I found this page with a photo of the crater festival.

By the way, they were called "Sunshine Festival" so if you do a Google search, you'll find more hits that way.
                                There was a Haole lady looks like in her 50s at the Crater Celebration. Can you believe she still has and was wearing a yellow 1973 Sunshine Festival T-Shirt?
                                Last edited by na alii; April 2, 2006, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X