Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What are you currently reading?

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
    I LOVE it so far! Should finish it by tomorrow morning. Review to follow...
    Ahh. I was wondering which book you chose

"Rock throwing is the ultimate asymmetric warfare."
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

"The Content of Our Character" by Shelby Steele. Published around 1990, an extended essay on race relations. The title is part of a quote by Martin Luther King that says he hopes that someday "we will not be judged by the color of our skin but by the content of our character". I believe it was part of his "I have a Dream" speech but I could be wrong about that.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

The Last Chinese Chef by Nicole Mones. It's a great novel for foodies but also covers inter-cultural relations with a touch of romance

Comment

"Out" by Natsuo Kirino. So far, gritty. I love seeing the Japanese underbelly.

Recently finished "The Matarese Circle" by R. Ludlum. Soon to be a major motion picture starring Denzel.
          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

"The Russian Revolution" by Alan Moorehead. Tedious reading, but puts it all into perspective.

Ofa 'atu
            Mui Houma
            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

• Just finished the bio on Hilo Hattie

It's an older book, but Hilo Hattie is timeless. They don't make em' like her any more.
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Just finished The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz, one of the best American novels I’ve read in a long time.

I like his mix of street-smart English heavily interspersed with Spanish/Spanglish, along with references everywhere to sci-fi and fantasy books and movies, comics, role-playing games, and anime. It’s the perfect narrative voice for the story of a “ghetto nerd” like Oscar and the other immigrants from the Dominican Republic.

Comment

I got the sudden urge to read "The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring". It's even better the 2nd time.
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Huh! I started for the first time ever reading "The Hobbit". Never read the trilogy yet, but I figured since I never saw any movie about "The Hobbit" it's best I start there and then go to the trilogy. Not to mention I bought all of the books at Friends of the Library for less than a dollar fifty each. Bilbo Baggins, dwarves, trolls and Gandalf so far...

Also reading John Stossel's "Give Me a Break!"
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

• Leo...

...lemmeno what you thought of 'The Producer'. I was considering that one myself.
                      You'd think the guy coulda done better...
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Phillippa Gregory historical novels. Am reading Virgin Earth--story line is jumping around a lot to the New World and England in the 1600's. I really liked the more modern novel she wrote titled The Little House--very unexpected ending.

I was reading her Wideacre series and had to stop and take them back. The stories were disturbing; it took me a book and a half to decide that the story was the problem.

Now the Boleyn series doesn't seem to bother me as much. That I find interesting and fun to read.

Comment

Kurt Vonnegut's "Palm Sunday." Again.
                          Don't be mean,
                          try to help.

Comment

Finishing up "The Producer" (as noted in an earlier post) today; moving on to Stan Freberg's out-of-print biography from 1988, "It Only Hurts When I Laugh."

Comment

"Time Bandit" by Andy & Johnathan Hillstrand of the "Deadliest Catch" and abandoning "Walking in Circles Before Lying Down" by Merrill Markoe, got about 2/3 the way through and I just can't seem to keep interest.
                              Also "Nobu - the Cookbook" really interesting background information on his life/career and the development of his cuisine through recipes.

Comment

I have started vol. 3 of Na- Kai Ewalu. Book 1 was helpful review, book 2 cleared up a lot of questions about the Hawaiian language, and book 3 is...some of it is so easy its amazing, but some is virtually unintelligible. I must persevere, keep going over and over and over it til I get it. People continue to ask me why I am learning Hawaiian and I have no answer except that I like it. But I wish vol. 3 had been written a bit more user friendly-ly.

The story about Keoua v. Kamehameha is surprising, its not in any of the tourist books. Does oki mean to totally sever or just to injure?

Comment

Working...
                                X