• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leo Lakio
    replied
    Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Originally posted by dyasu View Post
    From my point of view, the way that the series ended was very disappointing. It just seemed to lack a sense of creativity, which made it a very empty and unfulfilling way to finish the story. There was all of this buildup with a lot of background story and mystery... and then the ending was written so simply.
    Harry Potter? Or The Sopranos?

Leave a comment:

• dyasu
    replied

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
    I'd definitely like to hear from folks who read Deathly Hallows as to whether they liked it or not. Without any plot details or anything, was it worth it? Does the end of the story do justice to the entirety of the series?
    Having been someone who has never read any of the Harry Potter books, I do not think that my opinion will weigh very heavily. However, I have seen all the movies up until now and my girlfriend absolutely loves the series so I will update later with her input once she's done reading. I cheated and looked up online how it ended :P

From my point of view, the way that the series ended was very disappointing. It just seemed to lack a sense of creativity, which made it a very empty and unfulfilling way to finish the story. There was all of this buildup with a lot of background story and mystery... and then the ending was written so simply.

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Originally posted by Random View Post
    I mean, what is she planning to do afterward? Announce her retirement?
    Originally posted by Random View Post
    But what would she write?
    Well, here's one project:
    “J.K. Rowling told TODAY’s Meredith Vieira she will most likely publish a Potter encyclopedia, promising many more details about her beloved characters and the fate of the wizarding world beyond the few clues provided in the seventh book’s epilogue.

While Rowling hasn’t officially started writing the encyclopedia, although she’s got plenty of material from the stories left on the cutting room floor over the past 17 years.

“I’ve said before that Dean Thomas had a much more interesting history than ever appeared in the books for me, and you just see glimpses of it,” Rowling said. “But to write it really would take us into prequel territory. And that does take us into Star Wars territory. And that’s not really a place I’m planning to go.

“So there’s always been bits that I knew about characters that didn’t make final cuts because they weren’t that relevant.” ...

Fans will have to wait a bit longer to get their hands on Rowling’s next Potter work.

“I’m not going to (write the encyclopedia) tomorrow because I’d really like a break,” Rowling said. “So you may be waiting.”
    Source

Leave a comment:

• Adri
    replied

kupomog: Ah, that makes sense

Leave a comment:

• kupomog
    replied

I think the baby was meant to be Voldemort's soul.

Leave a comment:

• Adri
    replied

It's not my favorite of all the HP books, but it does tie up a lot of loose ends and there were several really nice points. There were surprises but not the kind that left me feeling like the surprises didn't fit in to the existing storyline and the things we had discovered about the characters along the way to this point.

Spoilery question
    What was up with the flayed baby, though? It was so discoradant with the scene that I'm sure it's supposed to symbolize something but I just don't get it right now without feeling like I'm fanwanking. Oh well, I did read it fast. Maybe it will make more sense when I've reread it.

Leave a comment:

• MonkeyMan
    replied

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
    The biggest shock will be when we all find out Darth Vader is Harry's Father too and that the whole series was a dream of Dudley Dursey's after LARGE meal !
    HEY!!! NO SPOILERS!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Linkmeister
    replied

I'd definitely like to hear from folks who read Deathly Hallows as to whether they liked it or not. Without any plot details or anything, was it worth it? Does the end of the story do justice to the entirety of the series?
    Yes. Particularly some revelations about the motivations of characters we (or I, anyway) thought we knew.

Leave a comment:

• alohabear
    replied

The biggest shock will be when we all find out Darth Vader is Harry's Father too and that the whole series was a dream of Dudley Dursey's after LARGE meal !

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

Heh. I, too, grabbed a copy in Costco, just to read the last two pages. Not to ruin it for anyone else, or anything, but just out of curiosity. Curiosity stoked by what is most certainly the biggest singular literary event in recent history.

I only read the first book and part of the second, and think I'll never get through the set. But the phenomenon of Harry Potter has always fascinated me. It's odd to think that, in a sense, it's reached its end. Upcoming films and possible spinoffs notwithstanding.

Leave a comment:

• Adri
    replied

I wasn't going to get it just yet but I happened to see it on sale and picked it up on impulse. So I was bad and read the last couple pages and will go back and start reading it from the beginning when I have time.

Leave a comment:

• kupomog
    replied

Okay now I'm just plain pissed because my fave character's death is completely glossed over and not even mentioned and you just find out later "oh and by the way so-and-so is also dead." That freaking annoys me more than anything. Plus there's stuff related to it storywise that really makes me go :'(

Oh. Yeah. Got it at midnight, just finished it about two hours ago after a nice nappy for the eyes. Overall I'm...not really sure what I feel about this. Barring the fave character thing, this was pretty depressing, yet amazingly exciting. However certain parts seemed sloppy and the epilogue was...not very satisfying. I dunno, really mixed feelings on this book. Another reading and another day will probably help me sort my thoughts out.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

I went last night to the Ward Centre Borders. I didn't pick up the book for reasons I've already explained, but enjoyed the vibe and the crowd. One twenty-something cutie was dressed as a golden snitch, which was cool. There were, for obvious reasons, a lot of Cho Changs in the costume contest. The coolest costume I saw (I didn't watch the contest -- I was reading for my thesis on the lanai) was a dementor, at least seven feet tall.

I've resigned myself to the fact that it's going to be spoiled for me before I get to read it, which won't be until mid-August. Ah well.

Originally posted by Miulang
    since the movie version of the series is still two books behind, will as many people want to go to see the last two sequels if they already know what happened in this final book?
    Yes. See The Lord of the Rings, Holes, and Bridge to Terabithia for confirmation.

Leave a comment:

• Miulang
    replied

I'm not planning to buy it, but I thought one "review" of the book on cable news yesterday was kind of interesting: since the movie version of the series is still two books behind, will as many people want to go to see the last two sequels if they already know what happened in this final book?

Miulang

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

So, who's furiously reading through "Deathly Hallows" this weekend?
    AF picked it up when our neighborhood bookstore opened at 8 this morning; she read it in 6.5 hours. I'll probably start on it sometime tomorrow, but expect to read it over the course of several days.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X