X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kimo55
    replied
    Re: Horrible commercial

" eHarmony is going for the "discerning, wholesome ugly single person" demographic."

so your issue seems more with the people, not the ads.
    hate em both!

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

I think the eHarmony ads (they do radio too) are just right for what they're sellling.

Hell, there are dozens of matchmaking sites out there, many of them quite huge (besides eHarmony, I think Match.com and Yahoo! Personals are the most commonly cited). So, while some sites might differentiate themselves as, say, the place for satan-worshipping vegetarian furries to find dates, eHarmony is going for the "discerning, wholesome single person" demographic.

Their whole business is modeled around their detailed profiled matching thingamagig, and whether or not they intended it to turn out the way it did, I wouldn't be surprised if conservative white upper-class Christians turned out to be the most enamoured of the ability to... well, filter out others.

If you don't like the people eHarmony wants to attract (thus the people in the ads), don't go there. Even you seem to agree that the people in the ads are representative of the user base... so your issue seems more with the people, not the ads.

Leave a comment:

• kimo55
    replied

Originally posted by scrivener
    Well. I'm heavy. I'm a Christian. That's two-thirds of the target

you ain't heavy, you mah bruddah!

akshuly, when I say heavy christian, I mean to an exclusionary level. and that ain't a very christianlike thing to do.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Originally posted by kimo55
    nooo, dude. they are fake. white bread christie minstrel types.
    EeeeHarm has a rep for having a heavy Christian, anti-gay focus.
    Well. I'm heavy. I'm a Christian. That's two-thirds of the target

Leave a comment:

• kimo55
    replied

Originally posted by scrivener
    I like that commercial. The people on it seem like nice people and they seem sincere. That's rare to find in commercials like this. Plus, I'm a lonely, single, mid-thirties professional who lives alone, so it strikes a note.

nooo, dude. they are fake. white bread christie minstrel types.
    EeeeHarm has a rep for having a heavy Christian, anti-gay focus.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Originally posted by kimo55
    another horrible commercial:
    eharmony
    I like that commercial. The people on it seem like nice people and they seem sincere. That's rare to find in commercials like this. Plus, I'm a lonely, single, mid-thirties professional who lives alone, so it strikes a note.

Leave a comment:

• kimo55
    replied

another horrible commercial:
    eharmony :

This is one of those that ya just can't relate to. At least i hope you don't.
    After seeing it, I say; "I don't wanna end up like ANY one of those dimwitted syrupy chumps!"
    ...you know that commercial where that strange dude goes on glowingly about all these couples ending happily ever etc. and then we see a buncha couples right outta kmart central casting acting basically exactly the same.
    One girl's line is just this: "...and then he said the words: 'I luuuuvv yew', and then that's when... I knew!"
    knew what; that he loved you?

and another girl:
    "...we have seewww much in cahm MiiiiiEEEN!"
    and the the look on her face at the last moment, like:
    "EEEEE a mouse!"

depressing thing is; this site stands to make millions.
    Last edited by kimo55; April 4, 2005, 09:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 1stwahine
    replied

I told you that I just adore this commercial and I like singing it everytime it comes on which is all the time...well, my 80 yrs. old MAMA finally couldn't take it. She usually doesn't say anything negative, or shout at me...she told me, "SHUT-UP,SHUT-UP!" That song is driving me CRAZY! I wen jump so high my salad wen go all ova. I ain't going to even hum them f**** notes.

Leave a comment:

• kimo55
    replied

Originally posted by cezanne
    You got a point there. I just saw it again and this time it shows the singer... yeah she's just a kid.

the whole commercial is fulla giddy lil teenage girls. maybe this is their market.
    The singer, (never heard of her before, and don't care to again...) has a whiney thin voice. Anything will sell nowadays I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• cezanne
    replied

Originally posted by Linkmeister
    For one thing, it's meant to have a terrible world-weariness about it, and she's not old enough.
    You got a point there. I just saw it again and this time it shows the singer... yeah she's just a kid.

Leave a comment:

• malia
    replied

Originally posted by cezanne
    Maybe they play it too much.
    They do play it too much! Just yesterday on FOX, they had that "Time on My Side" commercial...then the P Diddy Diet Pepsi commercial...then, they played that same "Time on My Side" commercial again!!! Twice in a minute and a half!!! Even my little one was "Not again!" heeheehee

Leave a comment:

• YoungNeil
    replied

Originally posted by Linkmeister
    I'm sorry, but the only version of "Time Is On My Side" that should be heard is the Stones. The ad's annoying enough, but every time I see/hear that thin voice singing(?) those lyrics...

For one thing, it's meant to have a terrible world-weariness about it, and she's not old enough.

The original version by Erma Franklin (Aretha's sister) is worth hearing as well.

Leave a comment:

• kimo55
    replied

gettin tired of that cell phone comm. with catherine zeta jones
    she tells us
    get moe....
    toke whenever....

Leave a comment:

• Linkmeister
    replied

I'm sorry, but the only version of "Time Is On My Side" that should be heard is the Stones. The ad's annoying enough, but every time I see/hear that thin voice singing(?) those lyrics...

Leave a comment:

• cezanne
    replied

Haha I like that rendition! I don't know who the singer is (well now I do) but the first time I heard it ... I liked it. Maybe they play it too much.

But yeah that RR gaming commercial gotta go.

Hmmm good subject. The ones that come to mind for me are the WaterPark ones and the Support UH Athletics (remember the couple sitting at the table then doing the wave?) ones... all of those to me are pretty bad.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X