X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amati
    replied
    Re: Where Did All The Nice People Go?

Yea, I guess I was just thinking about on the original topic of this thread. Some of HT's worst moments have been when unnecessary name calling starts up. Or "smarty-pants" responses (as Judge Judy would say).

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Originally posted by mel View Post
    A ratings system was tried here. Don't bring anything like that back.
    A most hefty and hearty "AMEN!" to that. Too easy to abuse. (If you see one of us refer to "chicklets" - that's what it's about.) Cynsaligia is right --- you read enough here, you'll get what people are about.

Leave a comment:

• Barry
    replied

Some of the loveliest ladies and gentlemen, I have met in Hawaii. I have been there several times and they have been here. They often use Trafalgar tours (not advertising) to do trips to France. Germany, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Austria~~~ then back to London.
    A couple and a separate lady have fallen in love with where I live and come at least twice a year.
    That was my fault, I told them that Liverpool was a quaint fishing village in England.
    I still keep in touch with my friends from Havaii, usually on MSN.

I just want to say that most of the respectful and wisest people come from where you live.

Leave a comment:

• cynsaligia
    replied

Originally posted by Amati View Post
    Now there is a rating system for posts that should be incorporated on HT. Instead of the standard type "thumbs ups or down", or stars, etc., there should instead be a rating based on how logical a post is. Especially if the post is a rebuttal.
    DHO to DH3 = don't even bother to read.
    seems obvious to me that if one hangs around HT long enough and has decent powers of observation, one can easily ascertain with what posters one has an affinity or repulsion. for example, if a certain person repeatedly presents opinions that i evaluate as starking mad & pathetically daft, would it not be equally witless of me to react with shock if said person pens moronic missives in the future?

as i told someone in a PM yesterday, whether a regular poster on a discussion board reveals his/her true identity is of no matter. that person's character & integrity--or lack thereof--reveal themselves quickly enough. i'd daresay that character & integrity are much more telling about a person than his or her birth name.

Leave a comment:

• mel
    replied

A ratings system was tried here. Don't bring anything like that back.

Leave a comment:

• Amati
    replied

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Now there is a rating system for posts that should be incorporated on HT. Instead of the standard type "thumbs ups or down", or stars, etc., there should instead be a rating based on how logical a post is. Especially if the post is a rebuttal.
    DHO to DH3 = don't even bother to read.

Leave a comment:

• cyleet99
    replied

May we all stay above DH5!

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

How to disagree.

Leave a comment:

• lavagal
    replied

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    I agree with Craig, except

I don't know about that. I know a lot of people who are not nice online who are much nicer in person. And for some reason, I find it easier to be nice online. "Nice" is not exactly the word most people would describe me with in real life.
    Wondering if I should weigh in on this... LOL.

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied

If I say you have a beautiful post. Will you hold it against me?

Leave a comment:

• Peshkwe
    replied

Hi!

I'm Cat Maxwell-Hadley and I'm stealing Craig's soapbox!

*looks around...spots Craig*

::shuffle::shuffle::shuffle:::

.:~*~*~:.!!TOUCH!!.:~*~*~:.

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    I am truly sorry for that outburst and I apologize for becoming enraged over this issue. Life is too short to get frustrated over what some feel necessary to mock or discredit another person's opinion. Okay I'm off my soapbox (again), darn I never seem to learn.
    I ain't gonna hold it against you for actually caring, CW.

Leave a comment:

• snowbird
    replied

Major props to Craig for such a well-composed reply. I agree.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

I am truly sorry for that outburst and I apologize for becoming enraged over this issue. Life is too short to get frustrated over what some feel necessary to mock or discredit another person's opinion. Okay I'm off my soapbox (again), darn I never seem to learn.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

I agree with Craig, except

When someone's a jerk or a bitch online is it safe to assume their that way in real life? I imagine so, the difference is that their online actions are memorialized forever on the servers that allow them to display their social skills.
    I don't know about that. I know a lot of people who are not nice online who are much nicer in person. And for some reason, I find it easier to be nice online. "Nice" is not exactly the word most people would describe me with in real life.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X