X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest -- Go Fourth and Multiply

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    Then why are you at the gym?
    Because I wanna look good in a pushup bra, etc. What do you THINK?
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

A bottle of red and a bottle of white for Leo Lakio, Surfingfarmboy, and Kalei99 for getting that one right! Did you guys ask around, remember the video yourselves, or flex your Google-fu?
      Honestly? I checked a couple videos I thought it might be, then asked a video producer with whom I used to work. He knew it immediately.
      Look at the huge leap Surfingfarmboy (our three-time defending champion) made in just one day! Let this be an encouragement to you all, because we still have plenty of game left!
      Are ya listening, Mike_Lowery?
      Last edited by Leo Lakio; November 15, 2007, 07:14 AM.

Comment

The adage says that you are probably safe eating oysters in months whose names contain an R. If you can demonstrate that there are other adages that also qualify, please let me know!
        This post talks about shellfish and fish, so I put seafood as my answer.

Comment

Originally posted by liberty View Post
          This post talks about shellfish and fish, so I put seafood as my answer.
          Interesting link! I was raised in a beach town and ate lotsa fresh-from-the-sea-that-very-day fish and shellfish growing up. I have nothing to cite but I remember my parents mentioning no shellfish during months with no 'r'...and oysters in particular. We had a 12 month love affair with fresh fish every year, tho'. No 'r' bans!

Comment

Missed the deadline again, I was at Lahaina Cannery Mall watching the Polynesian Show.
            ___
            "Be god to each other."

Comment

HawaiiThreads Trivia Contest!
              Here are the answers for Day 12!

Category: Fallen
              The USS Arizona Memorial is one of the most-often visited attractions in Hawaii, but do you know there's another memorial to another sunken ship nearby, just across Ford Island? It is not just a marker, but a full-on memorial built right alongside the wreckage, which remains to this day the final resting place of an unknown number of American sailors. What ship is memorialized thus?
              That would be the U.S.S. Utah. If you get a chance, check out the link. Wikipedia's write-up of that infamous day is quite gripping. I've been out there. It's a quiet, serious place.

zztype, helen, tutusue, Mike_Lowery, Leo Lakio, kiwidiva, Kalei99, Surfingfarmboy, acousticlady, liberty, mel, and kanahina all got that one right!

zztype says: *Wonders if this is a secret "gimme" question for Goat Lady. Utah is where Goat Lady lives.*

Kalei99 says: "I can already see it comin'....Blaine's really gonna think conspiracy now...since I LIVE in Utah!"

Category: Run and Hide
              You soak the hides of animals (usually cattle) in an alkaline solution for some time, then soak them in acid to detach (or disintegrate) hair, meat, and other unwanteds, then wash them in water to get them clean, then cook them in water, then filter and dry the goo that results. What have you made?
              I believe (but am not totally sure) that "leather" is out, because of the cooking. I was going for gelatin, but I'm taking "glue" too, because the process of making hide glue is very, very close to what I had in mind and definitely described by the process I laid out.

The hides of some dead animal go to Mike_Lowery, Leo Lakio, Kalei99, Surfingfarmboy, lavagal, and kanahina, who all stuck that one out.

Says Surfingfarmboy: "All vegetarians know the answer to this: Gelatin. BTW, there is vegetarian gelatin available; Hain Products is one company makes fruit-flavored gelatin in various fruit flavors, orange being the best. "Kosher" gelatin, for what I know about it, is also veggie, it (like most veggie gelatins) being carrageenan based."

I believe the vegan version is made from agar-agar. According to a kosher food site I looked at, believe it or not, gelatin is a vegetarian product AND kosher-eligible, because when the collagen is turned into gelatin, the resulting chemical composition does not resemble the living tissue of any animal. Of course, not vegan at all!

Who's up for some strawberry Jell-0?

Category: The Color of Money
              What are the colors in Krzysztof Kieślowski's "Three Colors?"
              Blue, White, and Red. I haven't seen them, but they've been on my list forever! Who can recommend them?

zztype, helen, tutusue, Mike_Lowery, Leo Lakio, kiwidiva, Kalei99, Surfingfarmboy, lavagal, acousticlady, liberty, mel, and kanahina all got that one right!

A few adjustments:
              CranBeree gets 1 point for her Close Encounters answer. She got it right, but I left it off.

liberty, your link for the oyster question isn't convincing enough. It's one person's blog from India...can you find more evidence that seafood is one of those "that's what they say" things?

InfinityProductions, you definitely don't get a point for "steak." And I need a better synopsis of UHF than the one you gave; specifically, I'm looking for whether or not he sculpts the mashed-potato mountain while his family watches.

I'm still thinking about acousticlady's rationale for leaving the potatoes out of the teppan-yaki question, but am leaning toward the point. Too tired right now to think about it.

And here are the current standings!
              32.50: Kalei99
              27.5: Leo Lakio
              26.75: Surfingfarmboy
              25.5: liberty
              25: acousticlady
              23.5: zztype, tutusue, lavagal
              21: InfinityProductions
              17: mel
              16.75: CranBeree
              14.5: Mike_Lowery
              12: kanahina
              9.5: jdub
              8: Palama Kid
              7.25: helen
              7: kiwidiva
              1: Peshkwe

Why do I have a feeling there are going to be a few appeals for "leather?"
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

HawaiiThreads Trivia Contest!
                Here are the questions for Day 13!
                1. Category: Villain the Blanks
                  Who's this?

2. Category: In Lane Sight
                  In many Oahu neighborhoods, painted lines and yellow reflectors
                  separate lanes of traffic moving in opposite directions, but there is
                  an occasional blue reflector amongst them. What does the blue
                  reflector indicate, and why is it never in line with the lines and
                  yellow reflectors?

3. Category: Sparky
                  In what Indiana town was the first electric chair built?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Friday, November 16! Good luck, and have fun!
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

[...]Why do I have a feeling there are going to be a few appeals for "leather?"
                  Oh...ok! I'll appeal! I'll also appeal for collagen!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    Oh...ok! I'll appeal! I'll also appeal for collagen!
                    I might have taken collagen, but it was one of three answers, two of which were followed by question marks!
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      Are ya listening, Mike_Lowery?
                      Thanks for pointing it out, Leo. I'm locked and loaded, and ready to battle.

When it comes to this trivia thread, I'd fight everyone competing on the spot if I ran into them in public.

Lakers Ikimasho!
                      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I might have taken collagen, but it was one of three answers, two of which were followed by question marks!
                        <picky><picky>

Comment

I did the same thing. I listed gelatin, but it had a question mark after it. I was disqualed, too. I am appealing.

Supreme Court, buddy. Better watch out, I might jump into Honolulu Harbor or something equally stupid!
                          Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

I haven't decided on yours yet, because it was your last answer, and according to the rules, I take the last answer as the official submission.

But think about it. If it had been a true/false question, and your answer had been "True? False?" would you have expected credit if the answer were "false?"
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I haven't decided on yours yet, because it was your last answer, and according to the rules, I take the last answer as the official submission.

But think about it. If it had been a true/false question, and your answer had been "True? False?" would you have expected credit if the answer were "false?"
                              No, I would not expect credit for "false?", but this was not a true-false question.

Guess we need a "Lock in your final answer" button.
                              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Okay, so let's say the question began with, "Which of Snow White's dwarfs...?" and your answer had been:

"Sleepy! It's got to be Sleepy! Right?
                                Or is it Sneezy?
                                Or Doc?
                                Wait, could it be Dopey?
                                It's not Happy or Bashful, is it?
                                Um, Grumpy?"

And let's say the answer is Grumpy. Should you get credit for THAT?
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X