Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest -- Go Fourth and Multiply

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    Peanut butter! Which it seemed LOTS of people knew and LOTS of people were able to make good guesses about. Why was that such an educated guess for some of you?
    I went to a Web site with nutrition facts labels and searched a handful of food products that could be measured by the tablespoon, like liquids, condiments... and peanut butter. The protein content gave it away. Eventually.

How many of you at least fingered an imaginary guitar so you could see what chord your hand was making? That's what I would have done.
    I wrote out each note, then used a piano. I have an easier time identifying chords on a piano.

Originally posted by scrivener
    Liberty may be young, but she's an HPU Sea Warrior, so you know she's smart.
    Originally posted by tutusue
    Liberty's also an edumacated Waianae Searider! So there!

Seriously... I'm having fun with this trivia contest. I heart trivia!
    Last edited by liberty; November 7, 2007, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Blew the music question. (Hangs head in shame - may need to change my name)

Seriously though, I am having a blast with this game! And learning stuff too.

Comment

HawaiiThreads Trivia Contest!
        Here are the answers for Day 3!

Peanut butter! Which it seemed LOTS of people knew and LOTS of people were able to make good guesses about. Why was that such an educated guess for some of you? tutusue, liberty, Kalei99, Surfingfarmboy, acousticlady, and lavagal all stuck that one to the roofs of their mouths!

Best wrong answer: zztype’s “library paste.”
        I guess the reason I was so "stumped" is that you said "16 grams of SATURATED fats" Peanut butter does contain approx. 16 grams of fats -- but only about 3 grams of Saturated Fats. The rest is unsaturated (poly and mono). I thought it was a trick question. I'm not getting technical but it bugged me so much I kept on searching all day for that wonder food that was so high in saturated fats and contained sugar! I woke up in the middle of the night and yelled "mayonnaise!" and then my husband said "no carbs in mayo, lolo"....I went back to sleep.
        But I guessed PB anyways since everything else fit.

I'm having a blast with this game and learning a lot too!
        So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

I was about to show you this to show you where I got my peanut butter data, but then I looked at it and realized I made a mistake yesterday in transcribing the numbers! Oops. Oh well. If you were smart like Kalei99 and Surfingfarmboy, you knew I messed it up and guessed PB anyway.

Moral of the story: Do what Surfingfarmboy did. Say something like, "The best I can figure is that it's peanut butter, but..."

I'll try not to mess up like this in the future. Hee hee hee hee. *rubs hands together*
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 5!

Category: All Hands on Deck
            I don't know if this card game is played nationally, but it's been a local favorite among young people at least since the late seventies. In the game of Speed, what does it mean if "doubles and triples" are allowed?
            In the game of Speed, opposing players race to place cards in numerical order on two piles laid out between them. A 5 can be placed atop a 4, for example, but a 3 can also be placed atop a 4, because as long as a card’s rank comes immediately before or after the card atop the pile, it’s a legal play.

If “doubles and triples” are allowed, players can ALSO place a card of the same value atop the discard pile: Now a 4 can also be placed atop a 4.

Where I come from, playing with doubles and triples is for wusses!

Pass the deck to CranBeree, Mike_Lowery, zztype, lavagal, kiwidiva, Surfingfarmboy, acousticlady, Kalei99, liberty, and InfinityProductions got that one!

Please note that the moderator is being generous this evening. Everyone I just named got the answer right, but then some elaborated on “triples” with wrong info! Triples would NOT mean you could play a card TWO away from whatever was showing on the discard pile (for example, placing a 5 on a 3). It simply means that you can place a 3 on a 3, and then ANOTHER 3 on THAT 3 (and although the phrase “quadruples” doesn’t exist, it is implied that if “doubles and triples” are legal, then you could also place a fourth 3 on top of THAT 3).

I will school anyone in the room in Speed, including you, jdub!

Best wrong answer is from tutusue:
            “I think on the mainland it's called Strip Poker! Ya have to take 2 or 3 items of clothes off if you lose?”

Surfingfarmboy contributes this to the do-they-play-it-on-the-mainland question: “I asked numerous people here today if they ever played the game Speed, and all replies were negative; no one ever heard of it.”

However, zztype includes this link from Wikipedia, indicating it’s not a local phenomenon.

Category: Can You Easel Your Way Out of This One?
            Who painted this?
            There were a lot of guesses for Pegge Hopper and Diana Hansen Young, but if you took Art 101, you know this has to be Paul Gaugin, one-time friend (and many-time enemy, I believe) of Vincent Van Gogh. Gaugin was very frustrated with the European schools and took a liking to the rougher, more primal look of East Asian art. His depictions of Tahitian women are considered by some to be idealized; others consider them unflattering. I used to hold each of these opinions, but I have on occasion found myself breathless when I’ve unexpectedly encountered Gaugin’s work, so now I consider myself something of an admirer.

Gaugin is buried in the Marquesas Islands.

First choice of brushes and easels goes to tutusue, zztype, lavagal, kiwidiva, Leo Lakio, Surfingfarmboy, acousticlady, Kalei99, and jdub for getting that right!

Interesting note: tutusue cast a movie about Paul Gaugin, but that film was never produced. ☹

Category: Getting Reamed
            What was the Honolulu Paper Company better known as?
            Like many of you, I was a big fan of HOPACO; I was especially fond of the Pearlridge store. And you know what I remember about that store? It seemed to go back FOREVER—much, much further back than any of the other stores! What a crazy-deep store that was!

Little paper swatches go to helen, CranBeree, Mike_Lowery, Palama Kid, tutusue, zztype, lavgal, kiwidiva, Leo Lakio, Surfingfarmboy, acousticlady, Kalei99, jdub, liberty, and InfinityProductions! Almost everyone who submitted an answer got this one correct.

Holy cow, you guys! I am not sure, but I believe today’s SIXTEEN participants is by FAR the most we’ve ever had! Right on!

Here are the new standings after four days!

10.5: Kalei99
            10: zztype, acousticlady, liberty
            9.5: Surfingfarmboy
            9: Leo Lakio
            8: tutusue, InfinityProductions
            7.5: lavagal
            5.5: Cranberee, jdub
            5: mel
            3: kiwidiva
            2: Helen, Mike_Lowery
            1: Palama Kid

Thanks to all sixteen of you for participating! And if you’re wondering whether or not it’s too late to get in on this, wonder no longer! Just play!

New questions, next post!
            Last edited by scrivener; November 7, 2007, 09:04 PM. Reason: "...thunder only happens when it's raining..."
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 5!
              1. Category: Flower Power
                What's missing from this list?

White Pinecone
                Black-Eyed Susan
                Trailing Arbutus
                Pink and white lady's slipper
                Magnolia
                White Hawthorn blossom
                Bitterroot

2. Category: Flour Power

This very common pantry pest is known to infest cake mixes, flour, dried fruit, dried herbs and spices, and other dry goods. About the size of a grain of rice, it has almost certainly found its way into your cabinets at least once. What is it?

3. Category: Flower Power
                When the Kaloko Dam burst in 2006, the Hawaii State DLNR performed a visual inspection of other dams on Kauai, finding fault with every one, but determining that none posed any immediate danger. How many did the DLNR inspect?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Thursday, November 8! Good luck, and have fun!
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

[...] 9: Leo Lakio
                8: tutusue, InfinityProductions
                7.5: lavagal
                7: Leo Lakio
                [...]
                Holey moley! Leo Lakio has 16 points! Way to go, LL.!!!

Comment

You guys are getting your answers in way too quickly. I must be doing something wrong!
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Right on for the high participation! Way to go, everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      Yeah - in my trivia-ridden dreams...but I do know how to spell painter Gauguin's last name. Sue, you're a Michael Franks fan, aren't you? You know he wrote a musical based on Gauguin's life, called "Noa Noa?" "Noa Noa" was briefly work-shopped off-Broadway at Playwrights Horizons in 1995, but it has yet to be presented/recorded in toto, though Franks has put several of the songs on his albums since 1990.

Comment

Darn it. I typed "Paul Gaugin" in Wikipedia to make sure I was spelling it correctly, and didn't notice that the page redirects to "Paul Gauguin." Oh well. It's French. Those guys don't know how to spell ANYthing.
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          Yeah - in my trivia-ridden dreams...but I do know how to spell painter Gauguin's last name. Sue, you're a Michael Franks fan, aren't you?
                          BIG time!!!
                          You know he wrote a musical based on Gauguin's life, called "Noa Noa?" "Noa Noa" was briefly work-shopped off-Broadway at Playwrights Horizons in 1995, but it has yet to be presented/recorded in toto, though Franks has put several of the songs on his albums since 1990.
                          Wow...that woulda been a great trivia subject for this thread! I'm sure I would've gotten it wrong, tho'!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            Yeah - in my trivia-ridden dreams...but I do know how to spell painter Gauguin's last name. Sue, you're a Michael Franks fan, aren't you? You know he wrote a musical based on Gauguin's life, called "Noa Noa?" "Noa Noa" was briefly work-shopped off-Broadway at Playwrights Horizons in 1995, but it has yet to be presented/recorded in toto, though Franks has put several of the songs on his albums since 1990.
                            You should've submitted that as a question for an instant point, of course if selected!

Okay now to tackle the others.

AWESOME KALEI!
                            ___
                            "Be god to each other."

Comment

I don't know if this card game is played nationally
                              Not just nationally but INTERNATIONALLY - Speed is alive and well in Aotearoa! But we never, NEVER played doubles or triples. It's like cheating! I got it because I asked my kids since they learned the game here.

I love GaugUin's work - I knew it was his piece but had to look it up to double check. I always think if I "know" the answer without looking it up - it's probably a trick question!

Hopaco I definitely had to look up since I didn't grow up here but luckily - it was easily google-able!

I love trivia and am kicking myself now for not submitting earlier. I could have had one more point for knowing 'The Peach Pit' and 'Arnolds' - but kept thinking I needed to look up more answers and then never got around to it.

BZ Scrivener and all the players...
                              Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                              My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                                Dayum! Leo's on a tear!
                                Don't be mean,
                                try to help.

Comment

Working...
                                X